Sponsored by:

Trac-Lok

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trac-Lok

Ok so i was lookin through my Broncograveyard catalog and saw the Trac-Lok. the description is close to a Detroit but it says it has clutches that wear out. Im not gonna be drivin the truck much so would a Trac-Lok be ok? Are they somewhat as strong as a Detroit? I just read the description and $195 seems alot cheaper than $500.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:53 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey bub:
your ar asking about a factory style track-lock (LS) vs the detroit true-trac, or the dana spicer trac-lok?
They are all LS units, but the trac-lok, and the track-lock is a clutch type, and is not very tight. Does a reasonable job in very light situations, but does wear out.
The detroit is also a limited slip style carrier but uses helical gears to distribute bias. If the desire for a LS unit is high on your list the detroit is the better choice in the long run, if the tires are kept to a reasonable size.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:51 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I am running the track lock in the front of my 88. It has 4.56 gears and 36" swampers. I haven't had it off road but a couple of times. I like it so far. It spins both front tires on some big hill climbs and on som pretty steap off cambers. I have some maintaince I have to do before I can take it of road again. Fix a water leak and change the radius arm bushings.

The one thing that I found out after I installed it was that the stub axle that is origanaly held in with a c-clip doesnt have a place for it in the trax lock. I called JBG and they told me that they sell a spring that goes in the 2 piece axle. This keeps the stub shaft from pulling out of the carrier. He told me that it is basicaly a valve spring. That is what I used. (a valve spring)

jbg claims that it will provide 95% lock up. I intend to find out.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Ed i was talkin bout the Dana/Spicer Trac-Lok. Basically im not gonna be off roadin the truck. Mainly pullin and hauling. I want to be able to hook up bumper to bumper and pull people around. So what im gettin at is strait line pull but with the cornering slip for winter traveling. I think as of now ill be running 36" hummvee tires.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dave:
Here is a little reading

Traction-Lock (T/L)
(Also referred to as a Track-Lock, not to be mistaken with the Dana Spicer Trac-Lok) This is the second design limited slip that Ford used in both the 8-" and 9" rearend designs. It is a fairly good design for moderate horsepower applications. This is a clutch type design that uses four plain steel clutches, four fiber lined clutches, and one plate that is steel on one side and has fiber lining on the other side. It uses a two-piece case that looks very similar to the standard open carriers, except the parting line between the two case halves is covered by the left half that "wraps around" the right half. The parting line between the two halves on a standard case is easy to see and is not covered. Traction-Locks are not very aggressive and tend to wear out fairly quickly if used heavily.

Newer design Ford rearends such as the 7.5", 8.8", 9.75", 10.25", and 10.5" also can be ordered with Traction-Locks. These differentials use a one-piece case with two spider pinion gears, except for the heavy-duty 10.5" rearend, which uses three spider pinion gears. The 7.5" and 8.8" designs have soft clutches that tend to wear-out quickly and are not aggressive even when new. The 10.25" unit uses composite clutches that holdup fairly well, but it is not aggressive and tends to slip too much when needed off-road. Trac-Lok is a medium-duty limited slip and will hold up without breaking, but will wear out the clutches quickly under heavy-duty use. If the unit wears out it usually can be rebuilt. (factory)

Trac-Lok (T/L)
Built by Dana Spicer for use in Spicer rearends, AMC rearends, and 1998 & older 10.25" Ford rearends. The old design built up until about 1989 was weak. The 1990 and newer design is fairly strong and even rivals the Powr-Lok for impact durability, but the clutches do not provide as much lock-up force and tend to wear out in about 50,000 miles if used in the rear. Works better in the front of vehicles because it's not aggressive. The main selling points for this design are the fact that clutch chatter is almost non-existent, and it is very inexpensive. These two points make it a great unit for many applications and a very good value for the money. This unit makes a great front limited slip and works well for those who need a little extra traction but cannot tolerate clutch chatter. The Trac-Lok came factory installed in many models such as D28, D44, D60, AMC 20, AMC35, 10.25" Ford. The problem with this unit is that it is not very aggressive and power transfer is minimal. Also, 1988 and earlier units tend to break fairly easily. (1piece case, 2 pinion gears, and 2 tab clutches). (factory)

Powr-Lok (P/L)
This clutch type limited slip is the strongest and most aggressive limited slip differential available from Dana Spicer. It is a clutch type unit using floating cross shafts that ride up on ramps in the case. When power is applied, the shafts ride up the ramps and load the clutches for a positive engagement. A Powr-Lok will not lock up 100%, but it is a very durable unit that will hold up fairly well with tall tires. It can be rebuilt, and can be set up smooth or aggressive by changing the clutch design or stacking configuration. Powr-Loks are easily identified by their 2-piece case. They are a very strong unit due to the 4 spider gear design that provides twice as many teeth to carry the load as a 2 spider gear unit does. However, the case bolts can stretch or loosen after severe use over time. (4 pin, 4 tab clutches) (factory)

Detroit Truetrac (TT)
Based on the worm gear principal and works like clutch type positraction. Does not wear out, not recommended for tall tires over 33".

Detroit Truetracs are similar in design to the Gleason Torsen®, only the Truetracs hold up well with reasonably tall tires. They use worm wheel gears that work on the same principle as a worm gear. When the unit is loaded, the worm wheels are forced away from each other and against the case. They develop locking torque by the light friction between the worm wheels and the case. This light friction is multiplied by the ratio of the worm wheel which depends on the size of the worm wheel relative to the size of the side gear. The manufacturer can change the amount of torque biasing or lockup by simply changing the diameter of the gears, or the pitch and spiral of the teeth. A larger difference in the size for the worm wheels and side gears (smaller worm wheels and larger side gears) will increase the lockup force. Increasing the pitch and spiral of the teeth will also increase the lockup forces. Like everything, there is a limit as to how much lockup force is reasonable. Making the unit too "aggressive" will cause tire scrub during everyday driving and will cause the unit to wear out too quickly. All of the feedback that I have received from customers indicates that the unit works very well for mud and snow, while going unnoticed during every day driving. When used in situations like rocky trails where one wheel gets off the ground, the unit will not lock up 100%. Light application of the brakes will help the differential engage more transferring power to the tire that is still on the ground. For extreme situations where the vehicle will have one wheel in the air often a locking differential provides better power transfer to the wheel on the ground.

Detroit Truetracs are designed for medium duty 2WD and 4WD applications. They work well in the front and rear, and are so smooth that there is little or no hint of resistance in the steering wheel when used in front drive steering axles. Like the Gleason Torsen®, the Detroit Truetrac does not bang or clunk, has no clutch chatter, does not wear out like clutch type positractions, does not need limited slip additive, and needs no preload or clearance adjustments.

Almost sounds too good to be true doesn't it? The only drawbacks to the Truetracs are their inability to provide lockup 100% like a locking differential can. Although Gleason no longer makes the Torsen® differential, the Detroit Truetrac is a proven design that is available for many popular applications. (aftermarket) 1 yr warranty

Gleason Torsen
Worm gear type no longer made by Gleason, but a few models are build by Zexel Torsen. They are very similar to the Truetrac. (aftermarket).

The Information above was provided by:
Randy's Ring & Pinion

Old 12-08-2007, 11:33 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

ok maybe i just need to stick with the Aussie locker. Im on a tight budget. Im gonna do the front first then the back when i get extra cash. I still need to get a driveshaft made adn all that so i need to spend money wisely thats why i was asking about the Trac-Lok.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Wiseguy150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what Ive read the aussie locker seems to be the best bet. I was going to by a lockrute by powertrx untill I found the aussie. If you google it you will find pleny of forums and other info in it.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:02 AM
gustav129
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a factory installed Trac-lok in my Scout II and it's not a very sturdy one. Light duty only is right.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 AM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I was mistaken I have the power lock in my 88.