Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Help with lower control arm please

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:15 PM
banddr2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with lower control arm please

I have an 01 4x4 escape, and the right lower ball joint has alot of play, so I am going to replace the control arm tomorrow(since it is one peice). Can anyone give me some advice on removal and replacing the control arm?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:19 PM
banddr2
Junior User
I didn't get any answers, but that's ok, I finished the job and will post this DIY:

My Escape had the one peice control arms with the ball joint already pressed in them, I replaced both sides, the cost from Ford was about $150 for both arms.

1. Jack up and support front of vehicle with floor stands. Remove both wheels.

2. Spray penetrating oil on the bolts attaching to the ball joint on bottom of wheel assembly, sorry I don't know the technical terms, and let it soak in because these are a bear. I recomment soaking overnight.

3. Remove nut from the front, and beat the bolt out from the thread side using a big *** hand sledge. Don't worry, you wont hurt the threads, they are coned at the end of the bolt to protect them.

4. Next, remove both bolts that attach the control arm to the frame. I recommend a half inch breaker bar to get them started.

5. Now you need two ball join prying forks, I rented mine from Autozone, actually its free, they just charge them to your card until you bring them back. Start with one and drive it in between the ball joint and wheel pinion(if that's what it's called). When its seperated enough, wedge the second one in to seperate it all the way. That pin will really be stuck on there, this takes alot of force, but dont beat down on the control arm with a hammer, there is a chance you could accidentally hit a break line or anti lock sensor.

6. Now you should be able to completely remove the control arm.

7. Installing the new arm is a little tricky, here is what i did. Start the bolt in the rear bushing that attaches to the frame with the ball joint swung out behind the wheel. Now pull down on the ball joint end and slip it under and behind the brake caliper. Now you should be able to slide the ball joint pinion up in its place. There is a groove in the pinion the bolt must pass thru, so make sure you have it up in there enough and insert the bolt. Now bolt on the front bushing to the frame.

8. Super tighten all your bolts, replace wheels and you are done.

I don't think there is any need for a realignment since nothing was really moved. Also while you are doing this, check the tightnes of the tie rod ends and the stabilizer bar extensions. They should be tight with no movement. If you have to replace the tie rods, you will probably need to do an alignment, but you can measure the rod length and get it back pretty close. My Escape has 110,000 on it and the tie rods are still tight, but I did replace the stabilizer extensions last year.

Now she is rock solid in the front end, no more banging and clunking noises

This is what I did, if anyone wants to chime in and add something I may have missed, please do.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
R and R control arms

Nice instructions. Glad to hear you got it done..Next time, take some pics!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
banddr2
Junior User
Originally Posted by Gevans17
Nice instructions. Glad to hear you got it done..Next time, take some pics!
Thanks, as to pictures, I am still on dial up and it is a bear to upload pics, but I am working on that.