1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Map sensor question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Birdoprey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Map sensor question...

Finally got time to mess with the 96 F-350 PSD. It does not have much power and seems to run so-so. Reving it up just seems to make more noise, not really anymore go. It can barely keep up with normal flow of traffic in town, even when i've trying to "get on it". Anyway, i did some searching and found that many suggest unplugging the MAP sensor wiring and see how it runs. Well, i did that and it made absolutely no difference at all. The check engine light did come on, but otherwise no difference, anywhere. I assume from this that the MAP sensor is bad and needs replacing???

Old 10-01-2007, 05:53 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be a lack of boost causing your trouble. Could be the MAP sensor but they are not known to go bad. Look for leaks in the small line going to it or leaks in the intake boots.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if unplugging the MAP made no difference the sensor is fine. Like Jim said look for boost and exhaust leaks. Have you changed the fuel/air filters lately? How about cleaned the fuel pressure regulator screen?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does she smoke if you just put it to the floor out of gear? dotn forget the injector o-rings....i know i throw it out there alot

Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Birdoprey
New User
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
if unplugging the MAP made no difference the sensor is fine. Like Jim said look for boost and exhaust leaks. Have you changed the fuel/air filters lately? How about cleaned the fuel pressure regulator screen?
Fuel filters were replace a little while back. Ran the same then as now. I also pulled the fpr screen a few months ago and it looked to be completely stopped up. Looked horrible. Cleaned it up and that did'nt make any difference either. I just added a open element airfilter that i clamped to the intake how(bypassing the stk filter setup, but still using the CCV setup). Now i can hear the turbo whistling and only noticed a very slight difference in power.
Even tried the 10K and 14.7k MODS. The 10K did'nt seem to make any difference that i could tell. The 14.7K seemed to help throttle response a very small amount down low, but really hurt power up top(not that my wrecker has much anyway!). Put all that stk.
I'm gonna add a temp boost guage in the next few days if i get the time and then see whats going on there...

Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Birdoprey
New User
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
does she smoke if you just put it to the floor out of gear? dotn forget the injector o-rings....i know i throw it out there alot
Don't think so, but i'll double check the smoke. Would injector o-rings cause this problem? With 231,000mi, i would imagine that they need replacing. Gonna have to prove it to the owner before he'll let me get them replaced though...

Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM
SrqScion
Senior User
if the 10k didnt change much, I would look at the ipr. Does the truck have a really rough idle? You can get the orings from ford or ih for like 15 bucks. Pull it, service it and replace the orings. That would be my bet on your problem, that along with any boost leaks

Old 10-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Birdoprey
New User
Ok, when i floor it in neutral, i get a small black puff of smoke then seems pretty clear. I don't notice any smoke when going WOT on the road. Idle is not the smootest, but not like its missing either.
I installed a boost guage and here are the results:
3rd gear wot:
1psi at 1300rpm
5psi at 2100rpm
10psi at 2750rpm
12psi at 3000rpm
13psi at 3500rpm

4th gear pull at WOT:
1psi at 1250rpm
5psi at 2000rpm
10psi at 2500rpm
12psi at 2750rpm
13psi at just over 3000rpm

To me it seems to build boost VERY slowly.
Is the IPR an Injection Pressure Regulator? Any way to check it?

Old 10-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Either your turbo is trashed or you have a boost leak. Check all the places where boost can escape. especially the MAP sensor line, it's the small rubber line going to the firewall.

Oop's for got the say the IPR is Injection Pressure Regulator. Look here for more info:
http://cw-diesel.com/LuxSite/IPRInfo.htm

Old 10-06-2007, 01:23 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
Your boost is on the low side. Have you checked for exhaust leaks. In maifold, up-pipes and the back of turbo. Also check for boost leaks in and out of the y-pipe coming off the turbo.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Birdoprey
New User
[QUOTE=Cuda_jim]Either your turbo is trashed or you have a boost leak. Check all the places where boost can escape. especially the MAP sensor line, it's the small rubber line going to the firewall.

Oop's for got the say the IPR is Injection Pressure Regulator. Look here for more info:
http://cw-diesel.com/LuxSite/IPRInfo.htm[/QUOTE]

I just replaced the MAP sensor line when i added a T for the boost guage. Also added wormgear clamps instead of the factory spring clamps.
Since my 96 is not intercooled, looks like there are only a few places to check for leaks. The outlet of the turbo and the very short orange hoses (they look to be fairly thin walled hoses)to the intake manifolds. I checked all for tightness. My truck has a regular wormgear hose clamp at the turbo outlet/input to the Y. This holds pressure on what looks to be a two piece V-band. Is this the stk setup? Maybe the hose clamp is not holding enough pressure?
How do i check for boost leaks if everything "looks" good and is tight?

Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Birdoprey
New User
Originally Posted by ltfox
Your boost is on the low side. Have you checked for exhaust leaks. In maifold, up-pipes and the back of turbo. Also check for boost leaks in and out of the y-pipe coming off the turbo.
I have not crawled up there and checked around the turbo and behind the motor for exhaust leaks. Don't hear any, but i prolly would'nt with the fairly loud motor.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:32 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yup, check your exhaust manifolds for leaks. also, check your oil level and oil quality. if it's been a long time since the oil was changed then it may just need new oil.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
To me, a wannabe diesel guy. This sounds like a leak issue someplace.

I would check the turbo for damage for sure.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
If you don't find any leaks Remove your intake tube and look at the impeller. You would'nt be the first to have a trashed impeller from an intake leak, especially if you still have the stock filter box...they leak! Any dirt that gets past the filter quickly destroys the impeller. It should have sharp crisp edges with no dings. Try spining it by hand, it should rotate nice and free and have no lateral movement...less than a .005 inch.

Quick Reply: Map sensor question...