Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Power Steering Pulley Install

Just a little tip for installing a power steering pulley. Use the puller tool that you can rent from Autozone or buy from Harbor Freight for $20. When you go to install it, you will need to hold the pulley itself rather than the arbor while turning the nut to install the pulley otherwise the arbor will back out and you won't get it put on. Just figured that one out last night.
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 11-17-2007, 05:03 PM
New User

kyles609 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Install Pulley

I have to replace my PS Pulley. I got the old one off and bought a new one. I understand the concept of installing it with the tool (bolt/nut), but I am unable to thread an 8mm bolt into the shaft. I looked at a PS pump for my 96 Explorer at the parts store and that was the size bolt that came with it to do the install. However I am unable to get anything to thread. When I look in it with a mirror/light Its hard to see threads, mostly just rust. I tried cleaner and a wire brush. Could it be possible that it is too rusted inside there that I will be unable to thread it and have to replace the whole pump in order to get this pulley back on?

If your wondering. I hit a deer and somehow in the process the pulley shattered. I have everything fixed but this to get it back on the road.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Posting Guru

blue beast has a good reputation on FTE.blue beast has a good reputation on FTE.
Use a thread tap or chaser and see if it cleans up, It could be some protein matter
from the deer!! Another good tip is to heat the pulley up and use keyboard duster
to freeze(shrink) the shaft, turn the can upside down so the freon comes out of
course while wearing thick gloves since you run the risk of both burning and freezing
yourself!!

Before posting fuel related problems Run a couple of bottles of dedicated gas line dryer through IT!!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 PM