1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Error Code P1728 - Fix or Superchip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 06:17 PM
michaels
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Error Code P1728 - Fix or Superchip?

I have a 1996 F250 2WD that is in like new condition @ 95k. I really like my truck and I plan on keeping it forever.
</O
The error keeps popping up. I have a programmable Superchip meter that I can read the codes and clear them when necessary. This code pops up every couple of days, and just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. The truck seems to shift like it always has, at least to me it does. I've had the truck since it had 16k on it. When the code pops up it causes the overdrive indicator on the shift lever to blink. It also places the transmission into failsafe mode. When it’s in failsafe mode the transmissions shifts hard, up and down. When I clear the code it goes back to shifting normal.

Took it to a transmission shop. They took it for a drive connected to a handheld device. What they told me was that the RPM's was going to high between shifts, and this indicated a torque convertor issue.
<O
I very rarely have had it programmed to use the superchip. I would estimate; less than a month in the 2 plus years that I've had the programmer. I don't haul any weight and I don't abuse my truck.
<O
I'm at a dilemma; my fuel mileage is at almost 17mpg, whether I have the programmed for the superchip or not. I was told I would see better fuel mileage with it programmed, but that has never been the case. As long as I have the superchip installed the code never comes back. Is this a fix or will I be damaging the transmission by not fixing it and just leave it programmed. The transmission shop assures me that the torque convertor is the problem. They want to put some dual piston torque convertor in ($1200). The only reason I haven't ran the superchip full time was because it caused my transmission to shift harder, but nowhere as hard as it does when the transmission is locked into failsafe mode. However, this new dual piston torque convertor will shift harder than the stock convertor.
<O
The transmission fluid is clear and has no smell. The filter is clean and shows no sign of anything foreign in it.
<O
I’m also looking for a good additive for the diesel fuel. I have never added any and was told that I should be running something to clean the system.
<O
Thanks…

Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first off, the new torque converter wont cause a harder shift, it will allow for a better lock-up hold strength. the torque converter clutch is going out, not a big deal, the superchip is not the culprit, it may only act up when its in there but i gurantee that it would do it without it as well, put some weight in there and it will set the code, a new converter will cure the failsafe mode and the hard shifts......cool aint they, try floored, usualy they will bark the 1-2 shift in failsafe, but in any case i dont know who to recomend for a converter, if you plan on modding the truck then get something with a little more stall to it and a heavy duty converter clutch, warrenties are nice too

Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
oh sorry as for long term damage, my buudy's 97 250 has had torque converter slip codes for over 2 years now, drives in failsafe mode everyday, has put a ton of miles on it since the first occurance, he no longer tows with it, if you are towing then i would say get a new converter now, if you dont tow and dont have the budget today then i wouldnt sweat it right now

Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 PM
michaels
New User
Using the superchip the code stays away and it shifts like it always did using the superchip (his a little harder then stock). It hits really hard in failsafe mode.

The transmission shop has been recommended to me by my mobile oil service mechanic, who I trust and also has a few diesels including ones he races.

I just don't know how to approach this. If I was to have left the truck programmed the error would have never been thrown. The truck shifts normal when I clear the code or it's running with the superchip installed.

The only thing I have yet tried is to replace the ABS Speed Sensor on the differential. I doubt it will be the culprit, but for less than $20 it couldn't hurt to try.

I bought the Superchip because I thought it would be cool to have the extra power, and the ability to read codes. Does running the Superchip really put more wear and tear on the truck? Does using it lower the life expectancy? I would love to leave it in full time because it's really nice to have all that extra power when it’s needed, but I have no idea if doing that will lessen the life expectancy of the truck.

Thanks...

Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
the superchip raises the line pressure ever so slightly, this is why the code doesnt appear when its installed, if you were to tow it would still come up, chip or not, your torque converter clutch is shot, there is nothing you can do to change that now, after the repair is made get a big transmission cooler and install a shift kit, that will prolong your transmission life a good bit.
the superchip will not blow your truck up nor will any other chip. some are better then others, stay away from edge and bullydog, edge especially, the killer of your engine will be lack of oil changes and high exhaust gas temperatures. change the oil ever 3k, 5 tops, and get a good set of gauges for the truck, 1200 degrees is max for a 7.3 exhaust temp. get rid of the stock exhaust especially the downpipe off the turbo, they are horrible and cause high egt's. get rid of the stock airbox, they allow dirt to get past the filter and damage your engine, after that you can heavily modify the engine without cause for concern.
i also run the superchip 1705, if you think it is a power hungry beast with that installed you should ride in somebodies truck with a tony wildman chip...good god kid in a candy store. teh superchip is rated 80 horse but i'd guess around 60 at best, they are good all around chips for the avg guy i suppose but for real power, performance, and fuel economy you need to get the TW chip, he burns the chip for your exact truck, not a generic application and reburns for free if you modify the truck at a later date. you cant beat it. for now though you will be happy running the superchip and adding a few other modifications to your truck, in my current form i can dust stock 6.0's and chevy duramax's and provide a decent fight on a chipped version for a lifted old beat-up truck. passing power is there and smoking out rice rockets is fun, for videos and detailed pictures on easy-to-do mods click on my signature link. any questions just ask

Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 AM
michaels
New User
I have installed:

1) MBRP 4-Inch Turbo-Back Stainless Steel Exhaust System (w/ Aluminized Downpipe)
2) K&N FIPK Air Intake System 57-2531

As far as oil changes go; using synthetic Amsoil is recommended considerably longer intervals between changes. Is this good or should I just go back to regular oil and change every 5k?

Thanks...

Old 09-15-2007, 09:42 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
th eoil is a touchy subject, i say do not under any circumstances go over 5k, if you read the fine print on the synthetic bottles it even stated that you need to go by your manufacters guidlines

Old 09-15-2007, 07:02 PM
michaels
New User
The code did show up again today WITH the Superchip installed. It will go in Monday for a torque convertor.

Thanks for all your information.

I will be changing back to a 5k oil change interval. Lets see... that's every 45 days. I think I need to start doing this myself. Do you have preferance for really good oil & filter?

Thanks...

Old 09-15-2007, 07:29 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
use only motorcraft or second choice is wix for a filter, i prefer mobil delvac 15w40, i am experimenting with mobil delo 400 but dont like it, i will be going back to mobil delvac next change, thats only 30 days or less for me