1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Train Horn Placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:45 PM
dirtyeddie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Train Horn Placement

I recently installed a train horn on my Super Duty. I gave a lot of though to placement of the horns and compressor. The horns needed to be in a spot they would be safe when I was off roading and still unmuffled or faced backwards. I'm running over sized tires so I can't carry a spare under the bed in the factory spot. It turned out to be the perfect place I had been looking for!

The compressor vibrates and is noisy so you don't want to put it under the cab or you can hear it buzzing and feel slight vibration. Where I placed this one it's worked out perfect! So if any of you opt to do this install here is a shot of what i did and I am very happy with the results.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 PM
94yj
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
very nice looking setup you have there

Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I want to get train horns so bad for my X,
Nick

Old 08-30-2007, 08:12 PM
dirtyeddie
Freshman User
They are awesome and alot of fun... I'll continue my post with better pics and more details over the weekend. Use them responsibly if you get them. They are loud enough if used in certain situations you could cause an accident.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
BritishBartender
Junior User
Where did you get them?

I have been looking for a set for a while now!!

Cheers,
Neil

Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
What's with the backwards trailer plug?

Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 AM
WhiteEx
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey BritishBartender- here is a place to get them plus lots of good info: http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/

Old 08-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Ed in Maine
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy cow! $500 for horns! Looks like the best way it so try and find a used set of horns and rig up a pump and the plumbing...

Sweet looking setup Ed,
Ed

Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aldridgec
What's with the backwards trailer plug?

its not backwards, its just open on the backside

Matt

Old 08-31-2007, 10:06 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if i did that round here we'd get pulled over so fast

Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
I had a friend that had one, we were 4bying on top of a mountain, no train for 50 miles, when he set it off I looked for the train!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fordboy52, I think he is talking about hte 7way RV plug for the trailer wires. It looks like dirty eddie turned the bracket upside down and toward the front. I'm guessing he doesn't tow very often, and doing that hides the plug and makes it look better from behind, am I right Dirtyeddie?

Old 08-31-2007, 02:11 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
Fordboy52, I think he is talking about hte 7way RV plug for the trailer wires. It looks like dirty eddie turned the bracket upside down and toward the front. I'm guessing he doesn't tow very often, and doing that hides the plug and makes it look better from behind, am I right Dirtyeddie?
That looks like a cool idea. I might have to try that.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:17 PM
dirtyeddie
Freshman User
QUOTE: Fordboy52, I think he is talking about hte 7way RV plug for the trailer wires. It looks like dirty eddie turned the bracket upside down and toward the front. I'm guessing he doesn't tow very often, and doing that hides the plug and makes it look better from behind, am I right Dirtyeddie?

Partially Beerstalker... The back of my truck has been thought out to the last detail. I could not live with that big square abortion that Ford stuck on there... It kept me up at night. I moved the bracket and now everything is symetrical and correct. I do tow quite often so what i did was went to my local auto parts store and made a couple of 3ft "extension" cords/plugs. Now when I tow I just plug one end into the hidden bracket and the other into the trailer plug. Everything reaches with no problem and I don't have to live with ugly, off balance block hanging off my truck.

I'll post a pic of the back of my truck and you all tell me what you think

Old 08-31-2007, 07:33 PM
dirtyeddie
Freshman User
Oh I don't think you can get a ticket for having an air horn on any Full size Super Duty. I know here in my area it is not illegal. You probably can in an SUV. A Superduty because of it's weight is not considered a "motor vehicle" by law. It is considered a truck. Air horns are completely legal in trucks (legal definition). Up until a few years ago you had to have a class D endorsement on your drivers license to legally drive a Full sized Super Duty even if it was not a commercial vehicle. A funny thing happened. The FHP wrote thousands of tickets based on GVW and most of the tickets were for Excursions/ Suburbans, etc... They had misinterpreted the FL statute that clearly said truck. Exes and Subs were still considered motor vehicles since they were not trucks. This resulted in thousands of over turned infractions and 100's of 1,000's of refunds... Whoopsie... I hate when that happens...

You have to use your air/train horns responsibly. Like for everything there is a time and place. You go around blasting people at random like a jackass and you'll get busted no matter what the law reads. If you cause an accident because of an airhorn blast you are going to be liable. I've been eating at resturaunts with outside sections and have seen idiots come by and blast there horn at everyone enjoying their meal outside. This is the exact type of behavior that will get you busted and potentially put local LEO on the train horn war path. Down here where I live a lot kids have been putting them on Little center console boats and pissing off the whealthy people who live along the intracoastal by abusing the use of their horns. It's only a matter of time before their is a law concerning horns and boat length.

Quick Reply: My Train Horn Placement