Computer Chips & Tuners  

MAJOR Diablo malfunction.... I think

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 06:50 AM
slammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hooked up to my 5ver, leaving the jar store for a weekend of fun and frolic and, all of a sudden, my SD 5.4L has no power and its blowing black smoke out the tailpipe like its a Cummins Diesel!!

I call my Ford dealer at 4:00 pm Friday and he says bring it out... I tell him I dont think it will make it. He says call a tow. I unhook the 5ver and make it to the dealership.

They put their computer on it and NOTHING will read. No codes at all. Not even ABS. SO.. I tell them that I have a Diablo chip in it. They say.. "lets take it out". We go to take it out and the ECM is hot to the touch! Once the chip is out, the computer reads the codes fine, the tech reset it and the truck returns to factory specs.

I leave the dealership and my truck runs great all weekend!! No problems since...

My question is.... WHY? and what do I do now?

thanks for any help

Old 06-05-2002, 03:32 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

>They put their computer on it and NOTHING will read. No
>codes at all. Not even ABS. SO.. I tell them that I have a
>Diablo chip in it. They say.. "lets take it out". We go to
>take it out and the ECM is hot to the touch! Once the chip
>is out, the computer reads the codes fine, the tech reset it
>and the truck returns to factory specs.

The heat is kind of normal, even with a stock computer with no chip. The chip itself is fused to prevent damage problems if it burns out.

There should have been a card with the chip saying to remove the chip in order to read the diagnotics:

"Three: Anytime a diagnostic machine is used, the vehicle's computer needs to be in stock condition. In order for the diagnostic machine to accurately perform its task, it must be able to communicate with the stock computer program. With the chip installed, the diagnostic machine will not be able to do so. Failure to reinstall the stock tuning can result in unnecessayr repairs."

Basically, you can't read codes from the computer when a chip is installed. Usually the only code you'll get is a ROM error code.

>I leave the dealership and my truck runs great all weekend!!
>No problems since...
>
>My question is.... WHY? and what do I do now?

Is the chip in now? There could be one of two problems: a) the chip came lose or otherwise had a faulty connection, b) the chip went bad. We've programmed a LOT of chips, so a bad apple rears its ugly head now and then... just had to replace a Superchips Microtuner yesterday because it arrived at the customer's completely dead! For one reason or another your truck is going into an open loop condition.

Here's what I suggest, lightly reclean the connector and reinstall the chip. If all goes well then the connection was the problem (do you have the square Diablo vinyl covering it too?). If it still runs rough, give us a call and we'll gladly replace it.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:35 PM
sportscar
Senior User
Post MAJOR Diablo malfunction.... I think

>I call my Ford dealer at 4:00 pm Friday and he says bring it
>out... I tell him I dont think it will make it. He says
>call a tow. I unhook the 5ver and make it to the
>dealership.
>
>>I leave the dealership and my truck runs great all weekend!!
>No problems since...
>

Just wondering....What did the dealer have to say about modifing the ECU, i.e what effect on you warranty???

Old 06-24-2002, 05:44 PM
ForDen
Senior User

Old 06-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Rockinfigz
New User

so if i install a chip i have to remove it if i take it into the dealer and if they have to use the diagnostic reader? or can u leave the chip installed and just switch to stock performance? if u have to remove it that sucks..what a hassle

Old 06-27-2002, 02:34 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

If its a Diablo Delta chip you'll need to return it to the stock position. If its a standard Diablo you need to remove it. Otherwise the dealer can't read codes from the computer.

Old 12-15-2003, 10:48 PM
mlc5967
Junior User
Want to confirm

Ken, have been loving my Diablo Delta chip. Hope you don't mind, but wanted to confirm your below statement from earlier in this thread:

"Three: Anytime a diagnostic machine is used, the vehicle's computer needs to be in stock condition. In order for the diagnostic machine to accurately perform its task, it must be able to communicate with the stock computer program. With the chip installed, the diagnostic machine will not be able to do so. Failure to reinstall the stock tuning can result in unnecessayr repairs."

So if I have the Diablo Delta, by switching it to the Stock Tune enables the dealer's diagnostic code reader to read the main computer? Want to make sure before I take my truck in to my dealer this weekend for its 15K maintenance checkup; would like to not have to remove the chip if possible.

On a related note, need I be concerned if the dealer wants to update my stock program due to Ford issuing an update to my stock program. My ECU code is HMT1. I have the 87 octane tune and the 91 premium tune on my Diablo Delta chip.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:12 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Yes, flip it to the stock position. Then disconnect the battery and turn the headlight switch on for about 20-30 minutes to reset the computer.

If the dealer reflashes the computer its really moot because the chip is going to override anything they do when you switch it on. If you want the chip updated to match any flash they do we can do that.

Old 12-16-2003, 12:02 AM
mlc5967
Junior User
Thanks much! Will do as you instruct.

Old 12-16-2003, 12:11 AM
mlc5967
Junior User
Quick follow on question. By following these steps to reset the computer, is the purpose to clear out any misleading codes stemming from the inclusion of the chip?

Old 12-16-2003, 11:48 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Yes, it clears the 0603 code.

You may want to try out the search function for this section. This and many questions have been asked a ton of times. With the holiday season upon us I'm swamped.

Old 12-16-2003, 11:50 AM
mlc5967
Junior User
Thanks...and no problem. I can empathize with your work load:-) I can't imagine what your email inbox must look like!

Old 12-16-2003, 11:53 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
I'm getting about 600-700 per day. Most are handled by my-autoresponder, but according to my email software I reply to 18% (108+) of them!