1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

AOD in 68 with 302?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:11 PM
atcaw94
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOD in 68 with 302?

I just bought a 68 that has a 302 motor. Will an AOD tranny work? I know it will with the motor, but what about the crossmember? I imagine I will have to have the driveshaft done for the swap.Is there a disadvantage to an AOD vs a C4/C6? I'de like to have an overdrive.Is an AOD strong enough for a truck?
Thanks
DJ

Old 05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
mcdobson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AOD's no problem

DJ, The AOD works very well. Did mine a few years ago.
There are however a number of things you need to take into consideration. Do a search on this sight I may not remember all of them.
The crossmember was moved backwards(four new holes). Custom drive shaft. Custom bracket for the TV cable,(must be adjusted properly. its not a kickdown cable.) Custom bell crank and bracket to make orignal column shifter work(can use floor shifter), and lowered the rear end ratio.
Nice cruiser but takes some work.
Mike

PS. Depending on use AOD is plenty tough, or can be rebuilt with HD parts.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:16 PM
atcaw94
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mcdobson
There are however a number of things you need to take into consideration. Do a search on this sight I may not remember all of them.
The crossmember was moved backwards(four new holes). Custom drive shaft. Custom bracket for the TV cable,(must be adjusted properly. its not a kickdown cable.) Custom bell crank and bracket to make orignal column shifter work(can use floor shifter), and lowered the rear end ratio.
Mike

Thanks for the info, I searched the site and could not find any info on the swap.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:31 AM
ptkodiak
New User
Hi,

I plan on doing the same to my 68. My engine was swapped out before I got it. It came with the 6cly stock. It now has a 351W motor (same tranny bolt pattern as the 302)

A long time ago I built a mustang for my wife. She wanted a 5 speed in it, and the donor car, a 1983 Thunderbird with the 302 had the AOD tranny. I kept the tranny out of that car, along with the flywheel, driveshaft (for the yolks), and the shifter rods.

From what I was told......and read back then( this was 10 years ago or so) is that the 1983-84 Ford AOD trannies are the only AOD trannies that are NOT computer controlled.

I know the one I have isn't, the only wiring that goes to the transmission is the reverse light switch.

Keep that in mind before you get the transmission. I have seen stuff online for a seperate "brain"/computer to run the newer tansmissions on an older non-factory equipped tranny.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. As it has been several years since I did any research, and things slip my mind.

Just something to think about and see what comes up.

I have also got the factory steering column for mine, that has the column shift for the auto. Will just have to customize for the "overdrive" symbol and location on the readout.

I would like to ditch the clutch pedal once the auto is installed......anyone have comments on that. I know the later years in the Chevy trucks...the whole pedal assembly comes out and bolts in...removing the clutch pedal. Are the fords that way too? I haven't even got as far as looking under the dash to see yet.

Thanks guys......didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.....but its all food for thought for someone thinking of an AOD swap.

Dale

Old 05-05-2007, 08:02 AM
atcaw94
Freshman User
Mike

What's the bell crank?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:02 AM
mcdobson
Senior User
Aod

Hey,
The AOD's were used later than "84" I don't know the year they went to the AODE but my AOD came out of a "87" Lincoln.
The AOD shift indicators only had three positions shown so you don't have to modify your indicator. OD, 2, 1.
The bell crank is a pivot assembly for the shift rod because you can't make a straight shot from the column to the tranny. I got one out of a "87" Ford pickup (I think) and reclocked it to work right.
I saw in a magazine that someone (Lokar maybe?) is making a cable set up for this. Sounds a lot easier than what I did.

Mike

Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Marz-68
Senior User
I have a 89 mustang aod on my truck and I love it...My truck runs way beter at higher speeds than my stock c6, it's great for long travels.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:28 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,598 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Old 05-07-2007, 03:29 PM
atcaw94
Freshman User
Hey,
The AOD's were used later than "84" I don't know the year they went to the AODE but my AOD came out of a "87" Lincoln.
The AOD shift indicators only had three positions shown so you don't have to modify your indicator. OD, 2, 1.
The bell crank is a pivot assembly for the shift rod because you can't make a straight shot from the column to the tranny. I got one out of a "87" Ford pickup (I think) and reclocked it to work right.
I saw in a magazine that someone (Lokar maybe?) is making a cable set up for this. Sounds a lot easier than what I did.

Mike
Is this it?
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lokar-Ford-AOD-Flexible-Kickdown-Cable-Kit-KD-2AODHT_W0QQitemZ140114727791QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
mcdobson
Senior User
Aod

That cable they call a kickdown cable is actually what Ford calls a "TV" cable (forgot what the TV stands for) but on the Fords it shifts the tranny also. It must be adjusted properly.
It runs between the carb or the gas pedal and the trans.
The cable I was talking about earlier runs between the colmn and the trans to put it in gear. I'll look back in some magazines and see if I can find the article.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:13 PM
atcaw94
Freshman User
That cable they call a kickdown cable is actually what Ford calls a "TV" cable (forgot what the TV stands for) but on the Fords it shifts the tranny also. It must be adjusted properly.
It runs between the carb or the gas pedal and the trans.
The cable I was talking about earlier runs between the colmn and the trans to put it in gear. I'll look back in some magazines and see if I can find the article.
I need to check the cable on the C4 in there now, it doesn't downshift. Also, it shudders real bad, sound like a torque convertor? It also leaks like a sieve out the front of the tranny.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:09 PM
JimAllen
Freshman User
the AOD swap isnt as hard as it seems, LOKAR makes a tv cable kit for a carb with instructions on how to adjust it properly, alot of 80s F150s cam.e with AODs so they are strocg enough, The Mark VII AODs are close ratio AOD and work better with heavier cars and trucks