Computer Chips & Tuners  

quality scan tool / code reader

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:40 PM
madmurdok
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quality scan tool / code reader

Hey all, do you have any recomendation as to a good scan tool to buy, or tuner? I am getting into some of the OBD2 stuff, and want to invest in something that has a good reputation. I dont think the "walmart" or a-zone specials are what I want. I need something that will dig deep, and go into the transmission codes, and abs system.

Any real world experiance and recomendations? I am willing to invest a few $$$ to get something worthy, and of decent quality.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:06 AM
mauicruza
Senior User
I can't tell you much about tuning choices, But I'm using a Autoxray EZ600 for scanning. So far its been pretty helpful for me because I wanted one that will do both OBDI and II. I got mine from summit for under $350 because they'll beat any competitor's price by $1.00.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-29-2007, 02:47 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how about scanguage, i just bought one on eBay for 160 and it monitors all of your vehicles diagnostics while you drive down the road, and then if you have any check engine lights on it will tell you what it is... hopefully i get mine within the next 2 days and ill install it and tell you how it is, a lot of people have them on here just do a search on Scangauge 2 and i think you'll find some very helpful information.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:52 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Whatever you get, be sure to get one that is Canbus 2 capable. Most all newer vehicles are coming out with the newer Canbus 2 spec.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
None of what I am saying is meant to insult but to get you informed on what you are about to get into.
None of the common readers are what you want and even the low end scanners are not what you want.
You will need to embark on self education if you are to use a high end scanner to full advantage.
This means you need to learn all about the systems on a vehichle and how to send a message to a module and what response to get back as part of the testing.
Anyone who gains this ability and has enough desire to chase problems based on how the system works will become an expert quite fast.
Your desire to read and test ABS and other chassis functions as well as the PCM requires very high end test equipment as well as sometimes additional equipment ie digital voltmeter, other special test equipment.
The costing can range from a low end of about $300 to in the $4000 + range for FORD level equipment.
Unless you are making a living at this or money is no object, look at low end
INNOVA 3120 or 3130, on up to the Hickok sytem at $4000 or the Snap-On equipment.
There are other companies besides these that have good usuable sytems.
If it is of use, there are $300 programs for lap tops with additional programs to specidic makes as add-ons.
Even this route will get get the investment adding up in dollars by the time you get to a level you want.
Mainly for FORD you want to be able to deal with all the PCM modes especially mode 6 where all the PID monitoring is done for 99% of all repair diagnostics.
Knowing what you need is a large part of the chase for what equipment level you will need to get.
Often the scanner discriptions are not enough for most that don't know what they need, so you need to get knowledge before you buy.
Within the modes, you will need to look at stored cylinder missfires, long and short term fuel trims etc as ways to detect a drivability problem that does not alway show by code or a code that is an 'end result' of a fault.
A place to start with knowledge is the MotorCraft site and down load a copy of one of the general discriptions of PCM operation for one year. Then go thru it and see the indepth explanations of many systems, then they still are not all there.
The gov. made the posting of this info manditory at at least this level.
When it comes to diagnostics on chassis systems, other drive train areas, you need at least the factory service disc info to refer to as well as service EVTMs etc.
Good luck, it gets deep and expensive in a hurry.

Last edited by Bluegrass 7; 05-01-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:06 PM
mbkatt
Junior User
As Bluegrass stated, if you want to get into the tranny or ABS codes you'll need to get something serious...

If those are just "nice-to-haves" then you may want to consider something that will do all the codes plus have some other cool features...

I have the ELM327 unit that plugs into my laptop and ProScan 5.0 software that checks the codes, clears the codes, perfroms individual sensor tests to see if they are almost out of range, but not quite enough to set a code. There's also a cool dyno feature and a vertual dashboard that's fun to play around with.

You can get them on www.myscantool.com for $160.00 (prices went way up since I got mine for $89)

Mike

Old 05-02-2007, 10:18 PM
madmurdok
Junior User
Thanks guys for all the advice! Just to know, and not to toot my own horn, I do know a thing or two about fuel injection, mostly GM, but will be servicing Ford, Chrysler and GM most. I have never had the "luxery" of a good scan tool, just cheap code readers that really dont do more than flash some lights, and often lead you in the wrong direction.

I usually have to trace things down with my "Fluke" and seat of my pants. I can usually get things going. Most of what I will be working with will be mid to late '90's vehicles. I am looking at something that will read transmision codes, since I will probably do quite a bit of transmision work. I often work in a foreign country as a missionary, and am needing something pretty decent, but somewhat short of a $4000 piece of equipment. I have investigated the Autoenginuity, and feel interested in this. Probably would get the upgrades for the domestic, and could get into that for less than $1000. If it saves one transmission, esp in a foreign country, I think it would be well worth it.

Part of my work as a missionary is to accept donated vehicles, repair them, then take them to Mexico, and give them to preachers. I also maintain them within the country, and to find someone who even has a code reader is somewhat difficult, let alone someone who actually knows how to use it! They usually just blame the computer, and send you on your way.

So, I do like the laptop program, since I also know a thing or two about computers - having been an electronics technician for more than 20 years helps quite a bit, then combine that with my desire to be a bookworm when it comes to shop manuals and fuel injection. The ABS is neither here nor there - if it has brakes, I am content, and can remove the stinkin bulb if need be, but a trans that wont shift, or an engine that wont run right is important.

Thanks again for the advice!