1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Trans Temps and OBD Scan Tool (hard wired or BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:29 AM
My-Hobbies
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Temps and OBD Scan Tool (hard wired or BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool)

Hi All:

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, but search did not seem to give the answer needed.

I have a 2005 Expy, Code B Tranny, which I take to be a 4R75E tranny. Just turned 80k miles on the SUV.

Just strated towing a RV trailer and want to monitor the tranny temps.

As best I can conclude form the forum search, I do not need to add a dedicated hard wired tranny temp gauge (which I was going to do), but should be able to live monitor the temp via a OBD scan tool.

I have a Actron CP9575 scanner (a popular unit.. not a 'cheapy' scanner... cost ~~ $125) and it picks up coolent and ambient temp, but I see no tranny temp parameter.

Called Actron tech support, and had a very circular conversation with them... 'Tool will show the tranny temp if the the ECM reports it'. I said i have read a number of forum posts that people are using a scan tool to see the tranny temps for this tranny, how come then your scanner does not show the tranny temp ? They reply with the same answer, and I repeat my same response. Ended the 'circular call' with them saying... 'well get some code scanner make / models that do report it and call us back withj that info'.

So.. question/s (and thank you in advance);
  • Can I live monitor the tranny temp in this Expedition (again.. 'B' tranny code on VIN decal).
  • If yes, what hard wired code scanners are people actually doing it with today (so I can report to Actron that yes.. people are actually doing it on this transmission... and with this scan tool), and ball-park... what did that scan tool cost (if I am to buy one) ?
  • If it turns out my code scanner is simply not as capable as Actron thinks it is, and I have to buy another scanner, I may go with a Bluetooth OBD2 scan device (considering the BAFX scann tool... seems to have good reviews on this forum and Amazon) and use the 'Torque' andoid app. But no one is actually saying this combo is live reporting Tranny temp.
    • Anyone using that combination and will it report tranny temp ?
    • Any Blue Tooth scan tool users out there live monitoring tranning temps on this transmission, and if yes, what bluetooth scan tool / app combo are you using and what is your 'quick' user impressions of that combo (just 'OK', junk, Great, Dump the hard wired scanners... go BT, etc).
Hey all... thanks very much. looking to not have to install the hard wired tranny temp gauge if I am already most of the way there via the code scanner live monitor route (I already have an android phone and the BAFX is only $25 on Amazon), or maybe Actron can pull a rabbit out of their hat and tell me how their scanner can live monitor the tranny temp.

Thanks again - Jim
Franklin Ma area

Old 09-24-2015, 11:41 AM
My-Hobbies
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All: In the sprit of education to us all should someone have a similar question in the future...
I have ordered the BAFX bluetooth scan tool from Amazon.
  • When arrives I will pair it with Torque Pro android app.
  • Will let people know if this combination reports Tansmission Temp for a 2005 Expedition.
Will update the post when I run my tests.

Cheers - Jim

Old 09-25-2015, 01:28 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be prepared that the BAFX adapter might not support the MS CAN network protocol out of the box. This will prevent you from accessing certain modules on the network. I also highly recommend that you check out the Ford/Mazda-specific app FORScan.

You may be able to modify the adapter to support MS CAN with a switch, but if you want to get an adapter that supports MS CAN out of the box, you need to get something like the OBDLink MX

Old 11-01-2015, 11:49 PM
highoctane74
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the toqrue app which reads from bluetooth adapter. Trans temp is the one thing it won't read. When I asked them about it they said it was vehicle specific. Pretty much the truck that isn't compatible.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's wrong, the vehicle will report trans temp.

In torque, go to Settings > Manage extra PIDs/Sensors, then on Android in the upper right corner there's a context menu, maybe the same on iPhone but I don't know. Select Add predefined set, and then select "Ford (incl PowerStroke)". This will add a number of new PIDs and stuff you can monitor with the app, including trans oil temp.