Sponsored by:

Excursion rear hatch lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:29 PM
vtaero
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Excursion rear hatch lock actuator

After having read the tech folder sticky at the top of the page, I am just looking to be sure that I am going to buy the correct actuator for the rear hatch of the Excursion. The sticky states in one place about rebuilding the actuator that it is the right side actuator, however at the bottom it lists the part number with the left side actuators.

Can someone please straighten me out on this and then correct the sticky for others. Thanks.

I would just look at my others on the doors, but for now only the rear is broken. Incidently I tried the rebuild but on assembly I cracked my casing.

Thanks a lot.

Tim

Old 01-01-2007, 06:26 AM
wipper
Senior User
it is the driver side actuator when you change it be careful not to loose the yellow cap it takes the play out of the pin (you'll see it)

Old 01-01-2007, 10:56 AM
vtaero
New User
Thanks for your help on that. Hopefully we can get that taken care of in the Sticky for anyone else that may need it in the future.

I ended up rigging the thing back together with a bunch of Zip ties. It seems to be working now, so I guess I saved a few bucks after all.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:19 PM
tarheel4ever
New User
I just took apart my liftgate actuator and assembled it back together. I fo not think that I can open the motor unles someones else has done it before. wiil post the pics in a few

Old 10-29-2013, 12:00 PM
yidakimason
Freshman User
I just took my actuator off of the rear hatch. The arm that is attached to actuator is snapped and im sure it is because the pin it is supposed to move is jammed. My key turns no prob but the latch wont budge. If i can get that loosened a new actuator should do the trick. The reason i opened it up at all was because the door ajar sensor doesnt work. Does the actuator control this as well or do i need toblook elsewhere to solve that issue? Thanks

Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM
vtaero
New User
Originally Posted by yidakimason
I just took my actuator off of the rear hatch. The arm that is attached to actuator is snapped and im sure it is because the pin it is supposed to move is jammed. My key turns no prob but the latch wont budge. If i can get that loosened a new actuator should do the trick. The reason i opened it up at all was because the door ajar sensor doesnt work. Does the actuator control this as well or do i need toblook elsewhere to solve that issue? Thanks
I'm not sure if the door ajar sensor is in there. I don't remember seeing it. I actually rigged it all with a bungee cord after replacing the actuator. The fix I did at the beginning of this thread lasted a year. Then a new actuator worked for a month and I realized I needed a whole new inner mechanism. But being cheap I used a bungee. Now it locks and stays locked but I have to hold the key in the unlocked position to open the tailgate. I disconnected the power lock actuator from power.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Sensor is in the side of the hatch IIRC

Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 PM
mankypro
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm trying to remove my actuator, how the heck do you get it out? I seems like it slides in place, and theres a tab holding it in, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it out!

Help! Hints! Argh

Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mankypro
Help! Hints! Argh
Several threads listed in the Tech Folder with that info.

Stewart

Old 11-14-2013, 05:20 PM
mankypro
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Several threads listed in the Tech Folder with that info.

Stewart
Unfortunately, they don't seem to cover sliding the actuator off of the bracket. One of the articles says to "pull it towards you".

In my case I broke the tabs that hold it onto the bracket trying to get it off.

Another thing is that the aftermarket replacements will not slide onto the bracket while it's mounted due to clearance, you must unmount the bracket, then unmount the wiper motor to be able to slide it out (to the left), mount the new actuator and reverse the process to reinstall it.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mankypro
Unfortunately, they don't seem to cover sliding the actuator off of the bracket.
Hmmm, I used the info found in those threads as directions when I removed mine.

I never had a problem with mine though, so the memory of the time I removed the actuator doesn't stick out, sorry.

Stewart

Old 11-15-2013, 12:51 PM
gvagolf
Junior User
On the actuator, between the two curved slots for mounting, there is a slightly angled peice of plastic, nylon, whatever material the actuator case is made of. This works as a locking mechanism and holds the actuator in place. To remove it (rear hatch) you need to insert a screwdriver from the top (there is a small port) and apply pressure to that locking mechanisme to disable it. Once pressure is applied you can pull the actuator away from the lock mechanism.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:09 PM
mankypro
Senior User
On my hatch there was not enough room to wiggle the actuator off it's mount you release the latch. There's just not enough clearance without the whole bracket moved out of the vehicle.

Whats good is that I got to clean the whole mechanism and re-lube it before I put it in, works like a charm now.