1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
View Poll Results: what would you do?
Give it another good pressure wash and Zero Rust it
16.67%
suck it up and sandblast and epoxy prime it
70.00%
wash it good and use rustbullet
0%
wash it good and use por 15
13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

sandblast or zero rust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
sandblast or zero rust?

I am just looking to build a nice driver, probably never hit a show but would be upset if two years down the road it started to flake off. I have a 20 lb HF pressurized sandblaster that I have not used for 5 years. And If I hook up my two compressors together I can probably get 15 cfm at 90 psi. Obviously it would be alot faster to give it another pressure wash and zero rust it there is some paint but its mostly rusty old frame rails. If I have to remove the old paint from the volare clip I may as well sand blast it. If I have to sandblast I would use an epoxy primer. I have pressure washed it allready with my 3700 psi 13 hp pressure washer so there is no loose stuff there.

What route do you suggest?

Any guesstimates how long I would be sitting behind the sand blaster? Sending it out is probably not finacially an option.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
picture of the frame

Old 12-12-2006, 08:59 PM
bememe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a Harbor Freight sandblaster and if I remember correctly I spent about 4 hrs.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:30 PM
F250Rob
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
For the best job, I'd say sandblasting, epoxy primer, then hit it with a good catalyzed automotive paint in semi-gloss black.

I didn't do that because I didn't want to deal with the sand mess in my driveway nor the hazardous fumes from the catalyzed primer and paint in my garage.

For a decent job that avoids the mess and the toxic fumes:
1) wire brush the heck out of it (drill attachment)
2) clean it with Metal Ready or something similar to chemically treat the metal
3) rinse/degrease as good as you can
4) hit it with Zerorust to act as a primer, either a spray gun with a big tip (1.8+) or aerosol cans
5) top coat it with Chassis Black aerosol a day after the Zerorust. If you wait more than a couple days, you'll have to scuff the Zerorust.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:46 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you said that you would be mad if it peeled--then sandblast and prime and paint it.I would think 3-5 hours would be ok--if blaster works good,and have enough air pressure.Many people scrape-degrease it--pressure wash it--go over it with a die-grinder with wire brush --blow frame off and wipe down and use any of the good primers mentioned and primer it good.---still --I primed my inner fender area today on my 56 and primered it and it took me 4 hours just to do the inner fender area.--It looks good though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:38 PM
SpyFoxx
Senior User
I sandblasted mine then came back with POR-15.

But, it took me a lot longer than 5 hours. More like 50 hours but it sounds like you have a better air supply than I do and I was really, really **** about getting every last piece of dirt off. Not to mention there were some areas that had so much dirt and grease built up that I would easily spend 2 hours on the one place. Yours looks a lot cleaner than mine.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
I've done them different ways over the years. I still perfer sandblasting and a good etching primer followed with a quality paint. If you have a rich uncle, you can always go with powder coat! Notice, I said RICH uncle.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:39 AM
51f-1fan
Freshman User
I would sand blast it, epoxy prime it, paint it desired color and drive the monkies out of it

Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 AM
48' fordster
Elder User
Sand blasting is your best bet i think because once you are done it is over wiht and you don't have to do it again any time soon

Old 12-13-2006, 10:02 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I would go with the sandblasting and POR-15, or another rust encapsulator. A good rust encapsulator will hold up a lot better than epoxy primer and paint. Most encapsulators will fade by UV from the sun but if you're worried about that you can paint the encapsulator. POR-15 is a paint to paint over, others are cheaper and easier to work with.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sandblasting is a big job.Many truck enthusiasts have just wire brushed and wire wheeled their trucks and had success and thought it was well done.Today with sandblasters so cheap and with all the different materials-other than sand--you get a better finished truck.I do not ever want another show truck.I had other vehicles with ground up restorations and I didn't have fun with them.Today I clean and diegrind and sand my parts that don't fit in the blast cabinet--and they hold up well.And I drive them and peel out and haul loads and have fun instead of dreading a flaw in my ride.I think if you are worried of all the mess sandblasting can make--there are other ways.It is cold in Ohio now and I sandblast in the cold--but I am older now and think twice before I blast my frame in 30 degree and worse weather.To farm the frame out is big bucks.I use a 5h.p. compressor with 45 gallon tank and 220 volt.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're considering it and have the equipment, you obviously know the advantages as well as the disadvantages already. In all likelihood, you will never have a better time than now to blast it.

Sandblasting will also give you the chance to really clean out all those new welds and inspect them before covering them up.

Last edited by Huntsman; 12-13-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Paint stripper followed by putty knife followed by pressure washer followed by 3M/Roloc Scotchbrite disk on a die grinder. Didn't take all that long and left me with a beautiful shiny metal frame to weld on and paint/powdercoat.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked with any sandblast folks in your area? Gosh I don't really remember how much I paid to have my 53 frame done, I bet no more that $100. Had my 40 Ford coupe frame blasted and powder coated for $250. I have done the scrape, strip, blow sand all over the place deal. I go to our local "car guy" sandblaster and it sure turns out nice for good paint adhesion.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 PM
dffay
Elder User
The same guys around here (New Mexico) that do the marble and granite monuments and headstones, also sandblast truck and car frames. Its really cheap to haul it there in the bed of a pick up and leave them do it. With their equipment it usually doesn't take more than an hour.

Quick Reply: sandblast or zero rust?