1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

transmission compatability problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 PM
bfloxword
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission compatability problem?

I'm moving a 2.3L engine from my old leaky 1991 Ranger (with AT) into a 1992 body that had a 3.0 V6 in it with a manual tranny. I want to use the manual tranny, but it doesn't bolt up to the 2.3L engine.

The tranny in question has a nametag on it :

F27A
XA

Can I assume there is an adapter ring of some sort that will make this hookup possible?

Any help at all appreciated.

Bfloxword

Old 11-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Your out of luck. A 2.3L won't bolt up to a 3.0L or 4.0L drivetrain. And there is no conversion kit.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:22 AM
bfloxword
Freshman User
transmission compatability problem

thanks for the information. I was afraid of that.

Since I really don't want to put the old AT into this rig, the next question is the obvious --

Who will trade a good tranny from a 3.0 for a good tranny for my 2.3?

I'll throw in the AT (needs a rear seal, only. Perhaps you would want to change the modulator while it is handy...)

Northern Florida

Thanks, again,

Paul (Bfloxword)

Last edited by bfloxword; 11-01-2006 at 07:23 AM. Reason: pronouns
Old 11-01-2006, 07:47 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
I would hit your local boneyards, they may even swap you a manual for your automatic, usally a bigger demand for auto's compared to manual tranny's.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:27 AM
BSmitty
Elder User
I agree, with both an auto and manual in hand you should be able to work a very reasonable deal. The bright side is that the appropriate M5OD will bolt right in and hook up to everything, since the only difference is the bellhousing, it's just a shame it isn't removable like the older RBV manuals *cough cough Toyo Kogyo*. I also support your decision to stick with a stick, then you get the best of all worlds, and nothing is more reliable than an manual if cared for.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:42 AM
bfloxword
Freshman User
thanks for the encouraging words. I, too, wondered why the bell housing wasn't detachable (like the AT).

Is M50D the designation for any 5 speed that would bolt to the 2.3? When talking about the stick from the 3.0, that says F27A and XA on it, do I call it a "F27A"???

Thanks,

Paul/Bfloxword

Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 AM
john112deere
Posting Guru
M5OD is the designation for the Mazda-built Manual 5-speed OverDrive put into all Rangers for quite some time now, with three different bolt patterns (2.3, 3.0, 4.0) You'll need to get one for a 2.3, and I'm pretty sure the 4x4 and 4x2 trannys are different, too, so you'll need to get the right one for what you have.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:58 AM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
You will not see "M5OD" printed on the trans. This is just a generic name given to this trans. You will see a code similar to the one you have on your trans now. For example, I have an 88' with the Mazda trans and the tag reads "E87A FA". IDK exactly what the #s stand for, but they should be similar for your truck. You may want to try to cross reference the part #s for a clutch for your 2.3L since the 3.0L parts might not bolt up either. Just something to think about before you go to put it in.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:08 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE bfloxword. Im glad you chose the best site on the net for Ford-Trucks! See you around the boards!!

Matt

Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 AM
bfloxword
Freshman User
I had a little trouble with the flywheel, had to round out one hole to get a fit, but the rest of the clutch assm. seems ok. I think I have a "used" clutch and tranny arriving here this a.m. from a local fellow. I'll see if it matches up.

No tag at all on the side of the old AT.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 11-02-2006, 12:55 PM
BSmitty
Elder User
Wait, are you trying to use the 3.0l flywheel on the 2.3l? DO NOT DO THIS, they aren't the same, you need the flywheel from your doner truck as well as the trans/clutch assembly. Also remember the pilot bearing, is the crank on your 2.3l tapped, I have no idea whether they were all tapped or not (I've only ever worked on manuals). If not, then you've run into a serious roadblock. Now keep in mind this is a very complex swap, the electronics are different, so you'll be doing some wiring, but with the doner truck, it's doable. Make sure you keep your old truck for parts, there will be many little things to consider. I do have to ask, aside from the 5+ MPG you gain, why not just look for a used 3.0l?
Oh and M5OD is kindof an acronymic name, Mazda 5-spd Over Drive, don't know where it started...

Old 11-02-2006, 02:24 PM
bfloxword
Freshman User
ok, I agree there can be problems...
The pilot bearing (new) is already installed.

My donor truck had an AT, so don't have the flywheel. The guy who just sold me the tranny was supposed to bring the clutch assembly, too, but didn't. I guess I'll have to pay him a visit. As I said, the 3.0 flywheel/clutch assembly seemed to be the right dimensions except for the one hole on the flywheel I had to ream out 1/4 inch to accept the bolt. Yes, it could be a problem, and I will try, at least, to get the clutch assembly to check dimensions.

I do not look forward to the electrical changeover -- you are right, again. I have saved all the old harness and hope (except for changing the computer chip under the glovebox) that I can connect the old harness for the 2.3 to the 'roots' of the harness under the hood for the 3.0. I just have a problem thinking that any manufacturer, even Ford, would build a basic system that wouldn't have all the components the same up to the engine compartment????

Points well taken, though, and I hope I have the gumption to actually complete the job. Worst case, I try to sell off everything useable and haul the rest to the junkyard.
And, maybe, buy another someone's old Ranger that is already set up for a 2.3 and already has a tranny.... Either way, it gives this old man something to keep him out from under Granny's feet in the house.

The tranny I got seems to be a Toyo-Kogyo from an 86 Bronco. The hydraulic slave cylinder connection would seem to be a push in tight fitting that is secured by the big clip that protrudes part way through the space into which the fitting is inserted. Anyone comfirm?

Old 11-02-2006, 02:26 PM
bfloxword
Freshman User
Obviously, I welcome any and all advice. and sympathy.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:51 PM
BSmitty
Elder User
I know the Toyo used that type of line connection, I'm unsure about the Mitsu so I can't say for sure that it's a toyo. One easy way to tell a Toyo is the 2 odd-shaped plugs toward the top of the trans body on the (I think, but it's a guess w/o looking) drivers side. Also, a Toyo has a cast aluminum "pan" or cover plate on the bottom, with ribbing for strength, the Mitsubishi has a stamped steel pan. I guess it's no big deal, but the Mazda M5OD would bolt in using the original cross-member and spedo gear, as well as the same electrical connections. The Toyo is different dimensionally, and has different plugs for electrical. Also, Bronco II's with 4 cyl's are very rare, so make sure it has the correct bellhousing before the cursing begins. I have no idea how similar the electrical will be for the engine, but I'm certain you can make it work with enough patience, so if you're just looking for an interesting project, I'll be waiting to hear how it comes out. And as for the flywheel, it's not the dimensions I'm concearned about, it's balance. I've heard horror stories about people using 4.9l I-6 flywheels on 302's, they look the same, and will physically interchange, but from what I hear it causes serious vibration, I've never done it myself, it's just what I've heard. I'm not trying to condem this project, in fact I think it's a very interesting one, I am just rattling off anything that comes to mind that may get in your way. BTW, having just finished a rebuild on my '85 Ranger 2.3l TK5, I can understand wanting the 2.3l more, what a solidly built engine!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 03:14 PM
bfloxword
Freshman User
it is Toyo, all the points you made are there.

I wish I could locate a M5OD that I can afford. Until and unless I can sell off some of the excess trannies, body parts, etc., Mama won't stand for it. She wants to buy me a new truck! What a waste of talent that would be! (ha-ha...)

I really haven't looked at the electrical connectors, guess I should take my side cutters with me when I visit the tranny guy to get the clutch. I hope the fitting for the hydraulic is still there, too.

Yes, I probably should just take the clutch assm. off his engine, too (blown by his boys by continually shooting it up with ether to start it...??)

I'm no authority on the comparative qualities of the Ford engines, but I have had zero problems with the 2.3, and the concept of dropping it into a good body sounded like a good idea at the time.... sort of like the Bob Seger song lyric "wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then..." The object, of course, was to not spend any money over and above the low cost of the '92 body. One of those things, the cost is really not an objection, just the blow to my pride if I can't pull it off economically. I'm the kind of fella who goes to yard sales for all my tools....

You (all of you commenting on my project) sound like the sort of guys I would like to have living next door. Very pleased to meet all of you.

Paul

Quick Reply: transmission compatability problem?