General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

35 Mm Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:17 PM
JohnAW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 35 Mm Camera

I would like to know who makes the best 35 MM Camera that is a easy one to use and what Lens would be the most useful one? One that you can take long distance pictures as will as close ups?

I know there are Digital Camera out there also, but can you take as good a picture with them, on a long distance?

I was so upset because we took pictures of my son's Wedding with a throw away camera I made my mind up that we need a good camera.

They must have improved so much over the past 10 years and they must be chaper now, unless the supply is low today for them.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I own Nikon SLR cameras

You can buy accessory lens' from many companies to compliment your camera.

Nikon,Canon,Pentax are all good.

Tamron is an accessory lens company.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:45 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "best" 35mm camera is a matter of one's personal opinion.

Most of the major brand 35mm cameras are pretty good.

You can but them relatively cheap.

I use a 20 old Olympus OM2N.

As for long distance photos (telephoto lens), the longer the focal length, the more you need either a monopod or tripod to steady the shot.

As Mil1ion stated, Tamron is one accessory lens company.

The other one I know of is Vivitar.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:53 PM
N7ghtwolf
Senior User
IMO - I stand strongly by Minolta for film 35mm. As for digital, cannon kicks some butt.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Fordzlla
Elder User
I had an olympus OM10 that took great pictures. It had some automatic features, but was mainly a manual camera. The old olympus Zuiko lenses were some of the best IMO.

When it died, I replaced it with a Canon rebel. I find myself fighting against all the automatic settings to get the image that I want.

For general photography, pictures of the kids, and such, any name brand slr will work.

A 28-80 mm zoom lense is pretty much standard. Remember that 50mm is approximately the same field of view as the human eye. Shorter than 50 mm is wide angle and longer than 50mm is telephoto

A 28-80 zoom would probably be the most useful lense for all around photography.

Long telephoto lenses are cool, but usually require things like a tripod, remote shutter release, and brighter than average conditions to get a clear shot.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Fordzlla, I have some of the older Zuiko lenses.
A 28 2.8 and 50 1.4

They're great.

I went to price out some other Zuiko lenses.

Holy crap. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..not cheap

Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 PM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with what has been said already, It is a matter of personal taste. That said, I am a photography teacher and see many different cameras and lenses.

A good quality digital SLR (single lens reflex) camera will perform much like a film SLR, with no shutter lag, shutter lag is the death of many digital photos, especially where people are involved. The digital SLR will accept lenses of the correct type just as a film camera will. A digital Rebel (Canon) is about $650 with a basic lens. better lenses are $200 and up.

A film SLR of a similar quality is about half the cost, like the Canon Rebel. Most will come in kit form with a 28-80 lens. The lens most people buy next is something like a 80-200 or 80-300, that is a zoom lens, not a telephoto wich has a fixed focal length.

I see more Rebels, and Pentax ZX film SLRs, likely a Nikon product is one of the better quality brands, but as stated by others, most are pretty good, depending on what seems comfortable and has features you want. Read some tech stuff on some camera sites.

I have Pentax products and Canon products and personally am satisfied. If you want auto exposure, for the money a Canon film Rebel is a good buy, discount stores all have them.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 09-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, what he said! Shop accessories as much as cameras, you'll always want some goodie or another. The major brands will have more choices, and additional companies making compatible products.

I can't make any product recomendations. I'm still trying to wear out the Minolta I bought in 1976(?).

Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
With the DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) There is no reason to buy a 35mm.

I've had a Nikon D70 that I'm extremely happy with! Nikon and Canon both make great cameras, but one of the advantages Nikon has over Canon, most of Nikon's older lenses will work on their DSLRs, ALL of the older lenses will work on the D200 (and D80 I believe). Nikon also has a better flash system than Canon.

Another advantage of DSLRs, you can shoot in RAW format, meaning image files are created that contain ALL of the sensor data, not a compressed (JPG) file. With the RAW image files, you have greater capabilities in post-processing software like Photoshop, Nikon Capture, etc. . ...

You can check out some of my digital pictures from the following links:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ird-shots.html

http://bob-ayers.smugmug.com/

And lastly, you can't beat the price of DSLR film!!!!!!

Last edited by Bob Ayers; 09-22-2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Fordzlla
Elder User
I find film cameras are easier for snapshots because I never seem to get around to printing off prints. It's very easy to drop off a film at the grocery store and have it done while you shop.
I still have images in my digital from last winter that i need to sort and print.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

I got it.

Buy both DSLR and 35mm SLR cameras.

The one you prefer to use the most, give me the other one.