Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Senior User

sigtauenus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Slim Jim master lockout keys

Anybody ever heard of a master key that works on any of a specific manufacturers car?

I have a business license in my town for all my ebay sales (helps me buy wholesale), and I was contacted by this company called Performance Tools out of Miami who supposedly makes the Slim Jims that you use to unlock auto doors.

Well, apparently with newer cars, you can't use a Slim Jim and what they offered me was a 10 key set for different manufacturers, ie, one for Ford, one for Chevy, Toyota, etc, and that key, ie, say the one for Ford, will open any Ford door (newer models, unsure which year it starts with) and will also start the car too! Says it will start any car except the Mercedes with chips in them or other cars with similar technology.

I won't say the rediculous price, but its under $200 for the set.

Is this legit? They don't even know if I'm a locksmith or a legitimate garage, and offering me something like this. Is this legal? Is this legit? Are these things for real?

It was being sold as a "hang a sign that you can handle lockouts" and charge $50-65 per car that you use these keys with and let the money start rolling in.

Sounds shady to me, and oh by the way, it is Fedex COD, cash or money order only. They say 30 day money back guarantee, but pretty tough getting money back on a cash transaction (no credit card to do a charge-back), and its not in the mail to charge mail fraud.

Whaddaya think?

Sam
Old 08-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Postmaster

FTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to all
Idunthave1yet
If its less than 90$ for 90s to current MY its a good buy. The ONLY reason why it should be over, is if its a Master set for Ford or GM starting from the mid 60's to 80s YM up to Current. To me I get by MOST of the time using my inflatable wedge and the Poker.

FWIW... I have ... not so new Jiggler set (paid 20bux for 12-partial key jigglers) but it rarely ever gets used. Depending on various conditions and MOST cars, I can usually gain entry or pop the lock with the wedge within 2min or less. I've been known to do it under a min. for a Mother with a Baby locked in the car.

EDIT: my statement was a bit fuzzy, ... If its an actual Master Key Set (10-12pcs) and not a "Jiggler" set, its worth it ... for less than 175$. 12Pcs. or more.. for under 200. still mayyybe worth it....

Last edited by FTE Trigger; 08-17-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Senior User

Supposedly it is a master set, and the price is significantly below $175. (He did say that is what they normally sell for).

What are the legalities of reselling these? Is this something I could get at this discount and flip on ebay?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Elder User

CheapRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Several states REQUIRE you to be a locksmith to buy things like this. I am not a lawyer, but I believe some states require the seller to verify. BUT I wouldn't sell them via ebay, since 9-11 you could be facing OTHER FEDERAL acts.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
The old addage applies here. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Locks that accept master keys are specially made. I don't think car makers would justify the expense of a door or ignition lock that accepts master keys.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Postmaster

FTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to all
Idunthave1yet
CheapRanger and andym, both have a good response to consider.

If I was only purchasing these for a eBay flip, I wouldn't do it. You'll get that one screwball that buys the set and has no idea of how to use it (properly), then give you a neg. remark for a non-working product or not as-advertised...

Then again would reselling of these items from Va. to someone in... NY(?) be considered breaking a law? I would personally check with a major law enforcement govt. agency. Or even Ebay.

But in my own humble opinion... I wouldn't bother with it... not for an eBay sale.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Senior User

Cool, thanks guys. Gut feeling said the same thing, glad to see positive reinforcement of that.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop

Tags
06, 2005, buy, car, door, f150, f350, ford, jiggler, jim, jimmy, lock, lockout, slim, tool, va