1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PATS key (specific tech info, need good service tech help)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 04:11 PM
RV Tow'n Truck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PATS key (specific tech info, need good service tech help)

Hello all, Just purchased a 'new to me' truck and joined, hope to participate and help myself. Did a search, and my specific issue is a little different than the others I've seen.

Got a conundrum, it involves SSM 21340.

I thought I could follow the directions in the manual to make a couple of backup keys and an extra fob, looked around the net, videos, links, etc. Seemed simple enough if you paid attention, had the right parts and followed the instructions.

Got a couple of spare keys off of Amazon, specific for my truck, 2011 F250 XLT. They are the 4D-63-80BIT keys with the RFID chip that just came out that year (previous they were 40BIT); it is just the key, without the included lock/unlock/panic buttons like on the integrated IKT's. Also got an extra separate fob to store in the truck as well, and plan on keeping one of the PATS keys itself outside (but hidden) because I don't want the electronics getting harmed being stored outside. I have two IKT keys provided to me by the seller, and the CARFAX said the key re-programming was done by my local dealer right before I purchased it as well, so I assume they are the only ones in the system (8 max, 4 IKT, 4 PATS). I was able to program the fob using the 8 times on/off method, and the door locks let me know I was in programming mode, so I think I have two good keys, slave and master (got 8 tries for one, and 4/5 for the other every time I did it).

But when I tried following the instructions to program just the key itself, I keep on getting a "Starting System Fault" message on either of the PATS keys. I had a locksmith cut the keys, and even he couldn't program them using his OBDII programmer to start the engine, but at least he only charged me to cut the keys. I am planning on just getting a couple of the RFID chips online to see if I just got a bad set, as they are a lot cheaper, under $10, and sometimes even half the price of the keys.

But I also discovered that there was a SSM 21340 that came out right after the truck was made. It said that people were having problems programming the PATS keys and this fault "Starting System Fault" was the indication, but that was back in 2011. It also said an update was being 'worked on.' Don't know if that ever happened, or if this truck's programming has been updated (or how to check), but I don't have access to OASIS either. Additionally in the SSM, it stated that the online workshop manual had additional instructions in section 419-01B as a workaround, but I don't have access to this either. Can anyone send me a link to this section, or a PM with this info, or tell me where I can find it? I'd appreciate it. I've contacted Fords customer care number and they can't help, only say 'go to the dealer.'

And I'd go back to the local dealer, but I'm already discovering "issues" with their service department, and would like to save the $125 they want to charge me for a simple key, something that the OWNERS MANUAL provides instructions for and says I should be able to do myself.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
If you get a "Starting System Fault" on the screen, the transponder chip is not the correct one. I ran into this in the past year where I ordered "flip" keys with a chip that was suppose to work but never would program. I ended up ordering some plane 80bit keys and removing the chip from them. These chips would work in the flip key and program for use to start the truck.

This is what is included in section 419-01B

NOTE: This procedure provides the capability to enable/disable the normal customer spare key programming procedure detailed in the Owner's Literature and Key Programming — Program a Key Using Two Programmed Keys . If spare key programming is disabled, spare keys can only be programmed by using the Key Programming Using Diagnostic Equipment procedure in this section.

Turn the key from the OFF position to the RUN position.

From the scan tool, enter TOOLBOX. Select BODY — SECURITY — PATS Functions and follow the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) on-screen instructions to ENTER

SECURITY ACCESS.

From the scan tool menu select "Customer Spare Key Programming Enable" or "Customer Spare Key Programming Disable" and follow the IDS on-screen instructions.

Next section or 419-01B

Key Programming Using Diagnostic Equipment

Special Tool(s) Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) software with appropriate hardware, or equivalent scan tool

Erase All Keys And Program Two Keys

NOTE: This procedure erases all programmed ignition keys from the vehicle memory. The vehicle cannot start until a minimum of 2 keys are programmed into the Body Control Module (BCM).

NOTE: Two Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) keys with the correct mechanical cut must be available to carry out this procedure.

Turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position.

From the scan tool, enter TOOLBOX. Select BODY — SECURITY — PATS Functions and follow the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) on-screen instructions to ENTER

SECURITY ACCESS.

From the scan tool menu select "Ignition Key Code Erase" and follow the IDS on-screen instructions until the key erase procedure completes. The scan tool will then instruct you to program 2 keys to complete the process.

Turn the key to the OFF position and disconnect the scan tool (the key does not need to be removed from the ignition at this time).

NOTE: The doors lock and then unlock to confirm that each Integrated Keyhead Transmitter (IKT) is programmed.

Turn the first PATS key to the RUN position for a minimum of 6 seconds.

Turn the first PATS key to the OFF position and remove the key from the ignition.

Insert the second PATS key into the ignition and turn the key to the RUN position for a minimum of 6 seconds.

The engine should now start with both PATS keys.

If it is desired to program additional key(s) (only a total of 8 keys can be programmed into the BCM ), refer to Key Programming — Program a Key Using Two Programmed Keys in this section for each additional key that needs to be programmed.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:24 PM
RV Tow'n Truck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Larry appreciate the info, I don't think that the keys I got were bad, I also removed the transponders on one of them and tried it with another spare key that the locksmith made as well (It didn't have the transponder, he just wanted to check that he could do it first without damaging one of the new keys). They were advertised as 80BIT, but I've already returned them. As I stated, I was thinking of just getting those transponder chips, but I think I've discovered what the actual problem is after reading a couple more websites.

My two original keys work fine, the only problem is adding transponders, not fobs. That's the key issue here.

So I think that the SPAREKEY PID has been disabled, can't confirm it, as I don't have access to an OBDII scanner that can set, let alone read that PID. It's the "Customer Spare Key Programming Disable" that Ford designed so that rental car companies could prevent people from making spares, NOT to prevent customers from making their own keys.

But since the keys were reset by the dealer that I'm having issues with, I assume (yeah, I know what that means, it could be the locksmith didn't know what they were doing as well) that they disabled the SPAREKEY PID so anyone who wanted additional keys would have to come in to the dealer.

I'm looking around at scanners to just be able to reset the PID back to the factory position, but they are around $300 for a computer or android based solution with enhanced software, and I don't need that much power or to spend that much just to set one stinkin bit. I'll have to see if I can find someone local around me with an scanner that can read it and change it for me, or call dealers farther away that would be willing to do it without charging too much. It really sucks when dealers act this way, pisses off the customers that are actually informed, and doesn't make me want to bring my vehicle back for service.

I'll look into my local chapter and see if anyone already has a scanner as well, or maybe I'll find a locksmith that can change the settings (I don't think the one I went to knew more than to type keys and read directions on his computer).

Thanks again.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:08 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Not sure this is a function that ForScan can change or not. Read this thread about using ForScan. If might be able to reset it but seriously doubt it since it is part of PATS.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ut-dealer.html