Sponsored by: DP Tuner

SAE on bypass filtration

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 05:57 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAE on bypass filtration

Folks, I found this informative post on bypass filtration from another forum.
The Society of Automotive Engineers did some studies on the use of bypass filtration. I quote:
"Thought I should report something from the Society of Automotive Engineers technical papers on bypass filters.From SAE #710813 we get an increase in lifepan for the following components switching from a 60 Micron FF to a 60 Micron FF with a 3 Micron bypass: Top ring +900%, second ring +562%, oil ring +422%, rod bearing +300%, main bearing +261%. This was from a Cummins motor test, not a filter manufacturer.From SAE # 930996 we get a test comapring a 40 micron FF to a FF with submicronic bypass (centrifugal):top ring +792%, second ring +1000%, oil ring +229%, connecting rod bearing +750%, exhaust valve components +282%, piston pin +1000%, turbo bearing +1000%.This was from Glacier, a filter manufacturer.According to SAE 2001-01-0867 we can expect an absolute 2 micron bypass filter to remove several orders of magnitude of transmission fluid contaminants compared to a conventional automatic transmission.If I read the charts right this implies a 300% improvement in the lifespan of the transmission. There are about 20 papers relating to filtration efficiency in engines. One of the most important was done in 1946. This paper showed that full flow filtration cut engine component wear in half compared to the bypass only filtration that was common at the time. They should have kept the bypass when they went to full flow!Several other papers stressed that filtering below the 5 micron level , and even into the submicronic level resulted in large improvements in the lifespan of most engine components including the timing chain, and seals."

Nut

Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that helps me make my descision! i wouldn't mind a couple 100 percent increase in engine component life!

Old 05-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Geoff Brown
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PSNut
Folks, I found this informative post on bypass filtration from another forum.
The Society of Automotive Engineers did some studies on the use of bypass filtration. I quote:
"Thought I should report something from the Society of Automotive Engineers technical papers on bypass filters.From SAE #710813 we get an increase in lifepan for the following components switching from a 60 Micron FF to a 60 Micron FF with a 3 Micron bypass: Top ring +900%, second ring +562%, oil ring +422%, rod bearing +300%, main bearing +261%. This was from a Cummins motor test, not a filter manufacturer.From SAE # 930996 we get a test comapring a 40 micron FF to a FF with submicronic bypass (centrifugal):top ring +792%, second ring +1000%, oil ring +229%, connecting rod bearing +750%, exhaust valve components +282%, piston pin +1000%, turbo bearing +1000%.This was from Glacier, a filter manufacturer.According to SAE 2001-01-0867 we can expect an absolute 2 micron bypass filter to remove several orders of magnitude of transmission fluid contaminants compared to a conventional automatic transmission.If I read the charts right this implies a 300% improvement in the lifespan of the transmission. There are about 20 papers relating to filtration efficiency in engines. One of the most important was done in 1946. This paper showed that full flow filtration cut engine component wear in half compared to the bypass only filtration that was common at the time. They should have kept the bypass when they went to full flow!Several other papers stressed that filtering below the 5 micron level , and even into the submicronic level resulted in large improvements in the lifespan of most engine components including the timing chain, and seals."

Nut
For us guys who are mentally challenged, can you break this down? Do I need a better oil filter?

Old 05-06-2006, 06:37 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
They're talking about a 60 Micron Full Flow filter with a 3 Micron bypass filter in the first example given for tests done.
The second test was with a 40 Micron Full Flow AND a sub-1 micron Full Flow centrifigal unit that also works in bypass.
Basically what they're saying is with a filtration setup like these your motor is going to last a lot longer. Changing oil can become a thing of the past. I've never seen the 2nd setup they're talking about.
I use a Motorguard sub1 micron bypass setup myself. Never change the oil now. I just change the TP element and add make up oil. Keeps my oil so clean i don't have to change until a Used Oil Analysis tells me to.
Nut

Old 05-06-2006, 07:38 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
"...I use a Motorguard sub1 micron bypass setup myself. Never change the oil now. I just change the TP element and add make up oil. Keeps my oil so clean i don't have to change until a Used Oil Analysis tells me to."
Nut
How many miles is it usally between your changes? Which toilet paper filter do you use? How much make up oil does it take? Does Blackstone do your UOA?

Joe

Old 05-06-2006, 07:50 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
They're talking about a 60 Micron Full Flow filter with a 3 Micron bypass filter in the first example given for tests done.
The second test was with a 40 Micron Full Flow AND a sub-1 micron Full Flow centrifigal unit that also works in bypass.
Basically what they're saying is with a filtration setup like these your motor is going to last a lot longer. Changing oil can become a thing of the past. I've never seen the 2nd setup they're talking about.
I use a Motorguard sub1 micron bypass setup myself. Never change the oil now. I just change the TP element and add make up oil. Keeps my oil so clean i don't have to change until a Used Oil Analysis tells me to.
Nut
I think that's the way I'm going, dual MG30 filter setup. The cost of 2 is a little more than I wanted to spend, but about the same as an oil guard with a couple of filters. Didn't really want to replace a $15 filter each time, a couple rolls of tp sounds better. I'd rather spend the money on UOA.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:06 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JOE-M
How many miles is it usally between your changes? Which toilet paper filter do you use? How much make up oil does it take? Does Blackstone do your UOA?

Joe
I change them at about 4.5k to 5.5k mile intervals....hey...toilet paper is pretty cheap and THE best filtration medium out there(sub micron). click HERE for Motorguards by Ralph Wood one of our Sponsors. Takes about 2 qts make up oil.
Yes on Blackstone although i have used Oil Analyzers in the past.
Nut

Last edited by PSNut; 05-06-2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: update/add
Old 05-07-2006, 11:02 AM
kotzy
Elder User
We should all think about the basics of the application of both filtering systems. Bypass filtering is accomplished by tapping into the main oil gallery and filtering a portion of the oil being supplied to the engine for lube purpose, and it goes back filtered to the pan . In full flow the pump delivers the oil to be circulated for lube purposes to the filter and then on to the main oil gallery, feeding the engines lube needs. If that filter (full flow) is maintained as it should be, only filtered oil gets to the engine. If it is neglected and the bypass valve opens and unfiltered oil does the job.
Adding a bypass filter would pick up oil at some point where it is being delivered to the engine and filter it the second time only returning it to the pan. The point which may be some benifit would be on the return side of the turbo bearings on an engine so equipped. Can we filter the oil too much, I think not, however I must say that with
the

Old 05-07-2006, 11:04 AM
kotzy
Elder User
Continued :
coming of full flow filters engines became cleaner and wear which was common became
hard to find.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:06 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hink10
Didn't really want to replace a $15 filter each time, a couple rolls of tp sounds better. I'd rather spend the money on UOA.
Right on Hink! My points exactly. I've seen where Toyota is putting a partial TP element in their full flow filters now....interesting.
Nut

Old 05-07-2006, 12:25 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kotzy
Adding a bypass filter would pick up oil at some point where it is being delivered to the engine and filter it the second time only returning it to the pan.
Does it just return it to the pan? Both of the fittings for my bypass system are on the block.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:28 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Does it just return it to the pan? Both of the fittings for my bypass system are on the block.
I was wondering that myself, where did you tap in the supply and return? Thanks Nut.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:07 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hink10
I was wondering that myself, where did you tap in the supply and return? Thanks Nut.
I used the directions at the Oilguard web site to find the feed and return points.
They're right near the FF unit. Click HERE for their directions.
Nut

Old 05-07-2006, 04:25 PM
kotzy
Elder User
Yes the oil returns to the pan, same way bypass filters have been
set up since Purolator came out with the first one back before I was
strong enough to lift wrenches. The manufacturer of the filter doesn't
give the flow rate thru it at any pressure, and I don't have a formula
to figure it out. I do know that we drilled out one fitting on the old
flat head Dodge trucks to pick up the rate thru their filters.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:37 PM
kotzy
Elder User
Read the Chevy and Dodge instructions . The flow rate is a minimum of 1 qt per min.

Quick Reply: SAE on bypass filtration