General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anti-Virus Programs

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 08:50 AM
holland501
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-Virus Programs

I've been using Norton for the last couple of years without any problems that I know of. Computers are not my thing so I'm not sure I'd know if I had a problem or not. Anyway it's time to do the annual update and I thought I'd get some other opinions. I'm running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario 1200 laptop. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:01 AM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
AVG antivirus. Go to www.majorgeeks.com and type AVG in the search blank. It's a free program, AND it works well. You won't find spyware or anything added onto the program.

Ryan

Old 04-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Dialtone
Elder User
I switched from McAfee antivirus to Avast. Avast Home edition is free and in 3 years running it, I have gotten only 1 virus (and I think my wife downloaded something while I was away). Ran an active scan when I got back and Avast cleaned it right out.
Unlike McAfee, Avast has a license good for 1 year (renewable online), and actively searches for updates each time cumputer is booted up. Use is easy and it has support for e-mail clients (Outlook etc, Instant messenger clients and so on). It will also create a snapshot of critical stuff in case restoral is needed (provided you activate the feature)
I think its strongest point is its passive ability to stop viruses from getting in the system in the first place. I have seen it trap hundreds of infected e-mail born virus fron getting into my computers.
For the price, I do not think you can beat it and I load it on all computers I work on for friends and family.

Dialtone

Last edited by Dialtone; 04-22-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:38 AM
lcampbell
Elder User
Avast by Alwil. McAfee is used where I work, but I prefer Avast. It has found problems McAfee missed. I also run Spybot as does my employer. It's free and a good program too. Incidently, my employer has probably 10,000 computers to worry about.

Old 04-22-2006, 10:53 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have comcast, you should be able to get mcafee for free

Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 AM
dag
Senior User
AVG Free is a great program. I second the vote for it, go to www.grisoft.com to look for the free edition. I've used it exclusively on my desktop and laptop for over four years without any incidents.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:27 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I third the vote for AVG. I dropped Norton 2006 like a rock because it kept telling me my subscription had expired. I paid for the stuff and tech support wanted to charge me!

Go AVG!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:25 PM
CheapRanger
Elder User
Originally Posted by dag
AVG Free is a great program. I second the vote for it, go to www.grisoft.com to look for the free edition. I've used it exclusively on my desktop and laptop for over four years without any incidents.
When I ran Windows, I used it also, but NOT exclusivly. Once you have had a virus and eliminated them (some are nasty), I went to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and did the online check. In all the computers I did, one of my parents had got a virus, that infected their antivirus program.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Hillbillywagon
Senior User
I have run avast and avg. I personlay prefer the avast. Never had a problem with avg though either.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:10 PM
j&bsuv
Senior User
I use AVG it works well . and you cant beat the price!!!

Old 04-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Howdy
Posting Guru
McAffee is free for a year on Comcast, then they charge you. I removed it over a year ago and I'm still finding little McAffee nuggets in my registry. I use Housecall all the time, (just GIS Housecall). I think I'll download avast and check it out. I just wish the anti-virus and firewall programs weren't so hard to totally wipe out when I decide they make my pc too slow.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 AM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
Now I went and did it!

Well, I didn't see this thread before I renewed (upgraded) my Norton Anti-virus to the 2007 version. I had tried one of the free ones and there must have been a severe conflict with the existing, but disabled Norton previously installed because once I installed the trial anti-virus the computer would just max out the CPU and do nothing, then worked fine once the trial version was uninstalled.

Now that the Norton is fully installed with all the bells and whistles, I have nearly the same situation. Everything checks out OK and I have uninstalled everything I rarely use, even solitaire, just to try to gain a GB or so and free up disc space, but whenever I am working online and get anything started to download, the CPU meter bumps the top of the guage and if I have two or three tabs open, it grinds away like a handsaw on a giant redwood.

Did I spend my money foolishly by buying Norton's latest, or am I trying to use too much of it for my almost 3 year old laptop (Dell Inspiron 1100)? I am about at my wits end.

I can't ask any of the family computer experts since they have to analyze everything I do and how I do it. I know what has worked and what should be working now. I don't want to re-vamp the whole danged computer, just the part that isn't right.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by MuddyAxles; 01-31-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a problem years go because of Norton.....If you have dial-up there is something that Internet hackers do interupt your LAN numbers to make your connection useless.

A few times I had to contact my IPS to get back to where it would work,.

If you have a high speed connection I'm surprised your IPS doesn't supply you with a Firewall/anti-virus feature.
Mine does.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:21 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I am currently using Avira and have not had any problems.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:25 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
My ISP also gives us free anti virus/firewall/popup blocker. Norton was a problem from day one for me. When i uninstalled it. Everything went back to good.

Frank

Quick Reply: Anti-Virus Programs