The good the bad & the ugly

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:14 PM
DYDF250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The good the bad & the ugly

Hey,

One thing to ask & an update on the old PSD.

the good, Truck is running great, knock on wood.
the bad, the bucks it took to get the damn thing fixed
the ugly, Bad injector # 8. Wasn't banging or making weird noises so first I thought it might be the trans, had the truck looked at and they told me its the torque converter. NO it wasn't the torque conv, problem still there. I got the wrong end of the stick there, maybe it was a good thing to get the T.C. changed out anyway. Next, booked it in for injectors the mech, held his trusty scanner and couldn't get a proper reading truck wasn't warm enough, I drove from out of town 45min to the shop it was warm enough. Then comes the beans to pay off this mech. I do have one question The mech broke a plastic nut that holds down the air filter box. Should he pay for this? I think he should.

Thanks for the forum to ramble on

Old 04-12-2006, 10:31 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DYDF250
Hey,

One thing to ask & an update on the old PSD.

the good, Truck is running great, knock on wood.
the bad, the bucks it took to get the damn thing fixed
the ugly, Bad injector # 8. Wasn't banging or making weird noises so first I thought it might be the trans, had the truck looked at and they told me its the torque converter. NO it wasn't the torque conv, problem still there. I got the wrong end of the stick there, maybe it was a good thing to get the T.C. changed out anyway. Next, booked it in for injectors the mech, held his trusty scanner and couldn't get a proper reading truck wasn't warm enough, I drove from out of town 45min to the shop it was warm enough. Then comes the beans to pay off this mech. I do have one question The mech broke a plastic nut that holds down the air filter box. Should he pay for this? I think he should.

Thanks for the forum to ramble on
you should lose that recalled plastic bolt that was changed to brass and get a real intake. those plastic bolts dont keep constant pressure on the air filter as it smashes over time. thus letting dirt get into your motor.
what injectors did you get? please dont say remanned ford for like 2 grand

Old 04-12-2006, 10:52 PM
DYDF250
Junior User
Hey 97

I would love to get the new intake, up here it's about 2 bills. After this go round I need another job to save up for it. But it will come. what the hell it that contraption you go going? Last, it was a new injector not a remanded one, brand ?? cost again up here 3 bills for ONE.

Talk to ya later.

any comment about the torque convert.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Ouch! Aftermarket injectors are the only way to go, about $850 for all 8.
The intake setup 97 has is a $35 napa 6637 air filter, connect it to a piece of 4" exhaust tubing and there you go, a better filtering, better flowing intake!

Old 04-13-2006, 01:09 AM
DYDF250
Junior User
Foreman,

Better filtering ? no air dame, no cover.
Does anyone have a pic of the ford recall replacement unit, or other air filter ideas.
Dirt roads and the hiway bugs get the K N pretty dirty.

I wish 850 for inj, here 2400 beans for all 8

Old 04-13-2006, 06:22 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the air filter pictured code names the "kwik filter" is one of the best set-ups you will find! chekc my gallery for another version of it. the recall items spoken of is only the 2 hold down bolts. they are plastic originally but the recall changes them to metal spring loaded. but you will have to pay for them even though they were recalls so you might as well spend the 50 bucks and do the filter mod.

as far as the torque converter i would only pay for the parts and not the marked up price. i would demand that they take the labor off and give you the parts for what they paided for it!. and i am a mechanic. at our shop if we did csomething like that would would NOT expect the customer to foot the bill. it was there mistake and you should not have to pay for it.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 AM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
Most will agree 100% with TJBeggs. The air filter mentioned outperforms the stock box in ALL areas, filtering and airflow. The fancy little box is nice but not necessary. I am switching over to the Kwikfilter in about a week. At that point I can send you my two metal hold-down bolts if you want. To be on the safe side I would say you could have them in your hand for the cost of postage in one month.

The torque converter replacement expense is a tricky item. It will take a lot of diplomacy, but if they admit their mistake and cover the labor, then you will have a good shop in your corner that you can trust and count on. From now on we can help you with diagnosing problems. To figure out how much you should pay for the part find out which torque converter they put in before you ask them for your money back. There are about 5 different levels of performance and durability on torque converters and the price ranges from $300 to $1,500 depending on what you settle on. Find out which one they put in and then start talking to them about the incorrect diagnosis of your problem. Do a search here on the forum for torque converters and you will be better informed and more knowledgeable when you talk to them about what they did to (fix) your truck. Chances are pretty good that they just put in the like-stock converter which probably cost them about $200. If they know about these E4OD trannies then they should have put in at least an internally improved unit which will cost them $300-$400.