1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice - chance to buy a 2000 F250 4x4 SuperDuty, SuperCab V10

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:35 PM
leggo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice - chance to buy a 2000 F250 4x4 SuperDuty, SuperCab V10

Hi All
I have been looking for a Ford for about a month and finally stumbled across what I think is a great truck.

Its a 2000 f250 SuperDuty SuperCab, V10, 68000k miles- XLT Package Automatic. Body is great shape, drives excellent, looks VERY sharp. They had it listed for 18900, sale price 15900, and the guy came down to 13900 without me even asking.

I snuck a look at the title to get the previous owners name, and did a yahoo search on the guy and gave him a call. He said he hated to get rid of the truck but he needed a new f350 dually XLT for his construction business. He said that the dealer gave him 12000 in trade, but I am sure he paid big bucks for the 350 dually. His dealer must of auctioned it out - because a used car dealer has it now. He said he towed a 5th wheel 6000 lb snowmobile trailer, and parked it lately in the summer. He had a plow on it for about 20hrs about 2 years ago.

He did say there was one thing wrong with it --- he had 3 of the manifold bolts break off and they should be replaced soon. All and all he has had absolutely no issues beyond reg. maint. It has new brakes an rotor all around about 10k ago. New serpetine belt 2k ago. Fluids changed reg. but trany and diff. fluid needs to be changed he said.

I am looking to tow a 4000 lb boat, and towing on occasion my 6000 kubota. This truck won't even feel it I am sure. This won't be a daily driver but probably around 3000-5000 miles per year. I tend to keep vehicles a long time -- I am thinking around 10 years.

My few questions are:
How much to replace all the manifold bolts.

What should I start out with my return offer to the dealer. I am thinking 12000$ and see what he does.

Am I crazy to get such a big truck to haul a max of 6000lbs(plus trailer)? (All the f150's I have found have way more miles and are only a few grand less)

Is there anything to watch out for with this particular truck?

thanks
Ed

p.s I am going to post this in V10 forum as well.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:35 PM
jaybird
Senior User
Hi there,

If the only problem the truck has is the manifold bolts them it would seem to me like a good deal especially since it has 4x4 and you actually got to get the inside scoop from the previous owner.
I would see how low in price I could get the dealership to sell the truck.I would not mention the broken manifold bolts until you get them to fill out all the selling papers and then when I'm ready to sign/close the deal I would ask the salesman to go back out to the truck to look at the front shocks while the truck is running then mention to the salesman that you hear a strange noise.Then,just open the hood and tell the salesman to look at those broken manifold bolts.
I know that sounds dishonest but hey we are talking about a used truck and they are a dealership that gets plenty of money profit from parts,service and sales..
Remember,if you really want this truck get the salesman to sell you the truck for the price you want before you show him the broken bolts..Once the paperwork is done they will have to replace the bolts legally...
Don't forget to ask some questions over on the V10 forum too.
Make sure they sell you the truck with hopefully some new to almost new tires and that they fill it up with gas too.
Good luck and remember to check the 4x4 system,emergency brake,aircondition,heater,tranny fluid,oil level etc and take it to a shop and pay 50.00 for them to yank the wheels off to check the the rotors,brakes,lines,and in general alot of other things.
V10's a great towing vehicles but you never really know if its a lemon or not it does help that you spoke with the past owner but he may not be telling all or he maybe .
Good luck my friend and welcome to a site that is full of guys that will help you out if you should need any help in the future or just wanna chat about your FORD ...

Last edited by jaybird; 03-21-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
jaybird
Senior User
One other key note is before you sign the paperwork get them to write up a work order to replace those busted bolts and install new manifold gasket or gaskets if the busted bolts are on both manifolds...Better to have it in writing..

Since you know they bought it for 12,000 then work from there and stay within 1,000

Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
madjak
Elder User

I would offer him $13,500.00 and tell him you want at least a 3 month or 6000 mile warranty, or see what kind of warranty he is willing to give you. Also, I would get him to fix the broken manifold bolts for this price. The main thing is to get some kind of warranty just in case you find other problems once you buy it.

Good Luck
Jack

Old 03-23-2006, 05:01 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That truck will tow what you want, boat and tractor,,but I would not go as far as to say the truck wont feel it !

With tractor and trailer,, you will be pulling 4 tons or so,,and will definetly know its behind you,,especially if the truck has 3:73 for gears,,any Idea what gear it has ?

I had a 04' F-350 V-10, 6 speed, 4:30 LS DRW,,it towed very well, I have 3 different trailers now, A 4 ton equipment trailer(16'), a 12' Bri-Mar dump trailer 10,000 GVW, and a 16' Enclosed Pace,,but no matter which trailer,,you could definetly feel it behind you.
No matter what it will pull better then any 1/2 ton truck.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 AM
leggo
New User
I bought it!

Thanks for your advice guys. It has been a crazy last few days, but I pick up the truck tonite!!!!!
I had a garage check out the truck and we came up with a small laundry list of things to do to the truck.
1.Manifolds studs - there were 4 of them (I had them use the new and improved brass studs)
2.Shocks all around - they were just a little weepy, but really not that bad.
3.Replace broken leaf spring in LR.

They agreed to fix all this, but wouldn't budge on the price. I figure they made about 600$ on this deal - they gotta eat too.!

Anyways I got it for 14220$ OTD price. I am wicked happy with the price, this is 200$ less than private party KBB/Edmunds/NADA average. It also came with a 30 day 1000m drive train warranty.

The dealer for a used car lot was very good to deal with, it was a good experience.

I am looking forward to getting this thing home!!

I do have some more advice to ask --- the orig owner has a set of chrome wheels and tires to sell -- He said they are about 11inches wide, and the tire tread has about 1/2 life left. He is not sure of the brand of the wheels or tires.

He also has a chrome brush guard that cost him 1150$ a few years back, again he doesn't know what brand.

And he has a read window steel wire protector that goes in the back.

Anyways he wants $600 for the wheels, Chrome Brush guard $400, and rear window protector $125. I think I will go take a look at them -- I am open for anyones' opinion.

Again thanks for your help!!

Ed

Old 03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
jaybird
Senior User
Originally Posted by leggo
Thanks for your advice guys. It has been a crazy last few days, but I pick up the truck tonite!!!!!
I had a garage check out the truck and we came up with a small laundry list of things to do to the truck.
1.Manifolds studs - there were 4 of them (I had them use the new and improved brass studs)
2.Shocks all around - they were just a little weepy, but really not that bad.
3.Replace broken leaf spring in LR.

They agreed to fix all this, but wouldn't budge on the price. I figure they made about 600$ on this deal - they gotta eat too.!

Anyways I got it for 14220$ OTD price. I am wicked happy with the price, this is 200$ less than private party KBB/Edmunds/NADA average. It also came with a 30 day 1000m drive train warranty.

The dealer for a used car lot was very good to deal with, it was a good experience.

I am looking forward to getting this thing home!!

I do have some more advice to ask --- the orig owner has a set of chrome wheels and tires to sell -- He said they are about 11inches wide, and the tire tread has about 1/2 life left. He is not sure of the brand of the wheels or tires.

He also has a chrome brush guard that cost him 1150$ a few years back, again he doesn't know what brand.

And he has a read window steel wire protector that goes in the back.

Anyways he wants $600 for the wheels, Chrome Brush guard $400, and rear window protector $125. I think I will go take a look at them -- I am open for anyones' opinion.

Again thanks for your help!!

Ed
What?I thought that the salesman agreed to sell it to ya for atleast 13,500?
It still sounds like a good deal being that the repairs were more important than a few more hundred in price.As long as you are happy we are happy!..
Good job on getting them to replace and repair the defects; instead of you having to.

OFFICIALLY YOU ARE ONE OF US NOW AND WE TAKE GOOD CARE OF EACH OTHER ON THIS SITE.
Now just sit back and enjoy your new "SUPERDUTY FORD TUFF TRUCK AND PLEASE DO LET IT GO TO YOUR HEAD "

Old 03-24-2006, 01:42 PM
TN-W124 Diesel
Elder User
$14200 is a good price for that truck..

Old 03-24-2006, 05:37 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't buy the over-wide wheels. I had some hideous wide wheels with 33x16.5s on my '99 crew/4x4/F250 and it handled/rode terribly - followed ruts in the road, hydroplaned, etc. I replaced them with 2002 rims and 265-75-16 tires. Stick with stock wheels/tires. I think you got a sound truck at a good price. Be sure to change the tranny fluid - if it was ever used for plowing, that can really cook the fluid and it should be changed every 30K or so anyway. The grille protector and headache rack are a matter of taste, and his prices seem 'ok', if not great, on those.

Steve

Old 03-27-2006, 08:17 AM
leggo
New User
200 miles and counting.....

Picked it up on Friday (took 1/2 day off - I couldn't wait until Sat.) Took the entire family unit to got get the truck. Inlaws, son, wife, dog! Wife was VERY happy to see how good looking the truck was - she is a red-neck gal!

Anyways we took a trip on Saturday, we fit 5 of us and the dog comfortably, drove to the mall, went out to eat. I then went to pick up the tires/grill guard and headache rack (the owner promised me that the wider tires road excellent )

Truck was a awesome to drive and everyone stated on how solid it felt.
It was an excellent day! Looking forward to being a Ford owner and chatting with you all.

Leggo

Old 03-27-2006, 09:36 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
They have new stainless studs for the exhaust manifolds at the ford dealer.
Goodluck with your new ford SD.

Dick

Old 03-27-2006, 12:53 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a nice truck and a good deal

Old 03-28-2006, 12:23 PM
madjak
Elder User

Leggo,

Glad you got your truck and it was a family event...thats the way it should be.

Hope you and your family enjoy the new ride.

Jack

Old 03-28-2006, 01:29 PM
deacjrt
Elder User
Welcome to FTE Leggo, and here's to many more happy family memories in your Superduty.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:16 PM
sweetpete
Senior User
That's awesome. I'm happy for you. That's exactly how I enjoyed my 1st weekend with my 250. I picked it up on a sunny Saturday, went and visited my brother (you know...to show off a little bit) and then went and got the wife and daughter and had dinner.

Anyways, congrats on the truck. It'll bring you many years of good service... I hope!!