Car salesman etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Tuvanhillbilly
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car salesman etiquette

Here is a strange kind of question aimed at the salesmen among us. An etiquette question on new car buying.
I am looking at buying a new small car (okay, non-Ford). It is a fairly unusual model, and therefore there is only one nearby dealer who carries this car. I went to the dealer one day to test-drive one, and the one person who was "certified" to sell these cars was not there, so a saleman for one of the other marques helped me. A nice, agreeable young man, not pushy, who knew the product fairly well, took his time go over the car with me from top to bottom, admitted up front that he was not "certified" in selling this brand, but would be more than happy to help me nonetheless, and assured me that if I wished to purchase one I could work with him. I got two followup calls from him at one week intervals after the testdrive to see if I had any more questions or wanted to take another drive. However, I haven't been back since the testdrive, and have now found out from a mutual friend (whose brother is a lead mechanic at the dealership) that the other, "certified", salesman is "the" person to talk to about these cars, and I should mention the mechanic's name and "he will take extra special care of you". Now when I go back to the dealer for a followup test drive (which I will), and probable purchase, should I go to the "go-to" guy who I have not even talked to yet, or should I stick with a known quantity? Since the original guy spent a bit of time with me, will he argue that he should get part of a sale if I walk in and buy? The other thing is that if I stay with the guy I know I risk my friend thinking I didn't heed his information ("why didn't you go to the guy I told you to see?")
This isn't keeping me up at night, but I still wonder about these crazy things. Opinions? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 AM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were in the same situation, I would stick with the guy I dealt with in the first place. I'm not a salesman, of course, just stating opinion here. For my money, if the guy answered all your questions, took pains to see you were satisfied with the car and all, then he deserves to make commission off the sale. I myself would even go to the extreme of NOT buying the car if the "go-to" guy horned in. After all, he was gone when you test drove the car, and the other guy was there. The "go-to" guy could have made some phone calls to you when he got back, assuming he knew of your interest, at least.

As for your pal's advice, you are under no obligation to take it. If he gets miffed that you did'nt heed his advice, tell him that you had already dealt with a salesman and were satisfied with him, and so saw no reason to deny him the sale. I'd also say that if he did get mad, then maybe you need to reassess your friendship with him.

Just my opinions there. Not meant to start a feud. Hope you are very happy with your new ride.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I would go with the "certified" guy, if the mechanic say he is the guy to go to it must be for a reason. It will give the other salesman more reason to get the certification as well. But, I would mention to the certified guy how much help the other salesman was and let him thank him for his help.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd stay with the guy who you dealt with. He helped you, followed up, took you on test drives, generally tried to make your experience enjoyable. No reason for you to turn your back on him just to make your friend happy.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:14 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Stick with your original salesperson you worked with, but make sure he knows that your mutual friend referred you to the dealership- that'd be my call. If it's the brand I'm thinking of (Scion), it really won't make much difference, since they're sold at MSRP anyway.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:40 PM
CAFordDude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would stick with the original salesperson unless because of his lack of certification he could "NOT" sell you the car.

Customer service is a dying thing it seems in this day and age and to find someone that will be truthfull with you, follow up with you without ******* you and be a generally pleasent person is rare and definelty deserves the business.

Maybe you will get the best of both worlds where the original salesperson is not "Certified" to sell the car and therefore has to bring in the certified "Go-to-Guy" and you get to deal with both and they both make a little money on the deal.

Just the opinion of another humble consumer.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Tuvanhillbilly
Tuned
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I am amazed at how astute my fellow FTE'ers are. I am in total agreement with the majority and will stay with the known quantity, since I didn't get any warning signs from him to "run away, run away". And Polarbear, you are right on the money, I'll probably be daily driving an Xb limited edition anytime now ("Envy Green" color). I think for the vanity plates I'll get "Tardis", because I swear that little car has twice the room on the inside than the outside dimensions allow. (The Tardis was Dr. Who's traveling device, which looked like a phone booth on the outside but was as big as a multi-thousand room mansion on the inside.).

Old 03-14-2006, 02:55 PM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by polarbear
Stick with your original salesperson you worked with, but make sure he knows that your mutual friend referred you to the dealership- that'd be my call. If it's the brand I'm thinking of (Scion), it really won't make much difference, since they're sold at MSRP anyway.
I agree. And no offense to any salesmen here, or anywhere, I have great respect for anyone that succeeds in that line of work, but "certified" to sell an econobox, give me a break. You are not doing brain surgery, you are selling cars.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:02 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bcjim
I agree. And no offense to any salesmen here, or anywhere, I have great respect for anyone that succeeds in that line of work, but "certified" to sell an econobox, give me a break. You are not doing brain surgery, you are selling cars.
It is not our choice to be certified or not. In British Columbia we have to be certified by the Motor Dealer Council which is run by the Provincial Government in order to sell cars, and it costs us $250 to do the initial course followed by $150 per year to continue the certification.

We also have to be certified through Ford in order to be eligable for any bonuses Ford may put out (I suppose this one is our choice but obviously its a no brainer).

Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would go with the original sales person, if he can't close the deal tell them no sale.
You should see these sales (kind word) people hanging around the outside of the Toyota dealership puffing smokes, one step in the door and they're like sharks on a bloody whale. Beyond knowing it's a 4 door has 4 wheels 26 cup holders and gets 43 mpg because the sticker shows that, my 14 year old knows more about their product by suspension, trans, engine on and on.
The last new vehicle purchased was back in 86 a 735 BMW I went thru the owner of the dealership, he knew as much as the factory trained mechanics, a rare thing these days. Good thing dad knew him for 40 years, paid $32K vs 42.9K.
.....=o&o>.....

Old 03-14-2006, 11:43 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Problem is, on the dang Scion there are no deals. Anywhere. Ever. Toyota has death-grip control over the franchise and the dealers that sell them, how many they sell, and how much they sell them for. They've gone to the Saturn school- before GM decided Saturn was just another franchise.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:10 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
"no deals", reminds me years ago the first RX-7's came out and dealer were getting an extra $3 to $4,000 above the sales price, supply / demand greed thing and the public paid.
.....=o&o>.....

Old 03-15-2006, 12:30 AM
crownver
Senior User
I agree with sticking with the original guy. I'm a sales rep (not cars though) and I'd be p---ed if some other rep walked into a sale I'd done all the work on, certified or not. The original guy may bring in the certified guy anyway, but at least it'll be his choice. What does certified mean anyway? He's selling the car, not building it. Most of the car sales guys I've talked to know almost nothing about the cars they sell, which is just as well anyway, unless they try to BS you.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 AM
RangerRuss
Elder User
Saw a white ScionxB not long ago - thought it was a toaster on wheels.

Russ

Old 03-15-2006, 01:18 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Two slice or four slice? Make up some fiberglass toast and have it move up and down while moving plus a black cord dangling with a cord cap out the rear.
.....=o&o>.....