5.4 TRITON CRANK DIRECTION

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
SALVAGEGUY23
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to get some documentation on paper and so far all internet searchs have come up empty. I work at an auto recycler and sold a customer a good running 5.4 motor from an 03 Expedition. He had a backyard mechanic install the engine and according to the Ford dealer where the vehicle is now parked the guy "butchered" the installation as far as wires and hoses going back to where they belong. The customer is taking us to court for selling him a bad motor.
Here is the crux of the problem : The backyard mechanic never did the motor to fire which does not surprise me because if he had cranck/cam sensors wrong or screwed up he could turn it over all day without firing. BUT.... the motor now has two cylinders with no compression. A local mechanic who has done multiple 5.4 installations says that when he bolted up the torque converter and if he turned the flywheel backward with the dual cam heads in this motor a saddle inside would cause the timing chains to be out of sync and bend valves in the heads. His theory is backed up by another trusted Ford dealer's head mechanic. Unfortunately the head mechanic says there probably isn't a Ford TSB or manual detailing this. He says the installation instructions at his dealership all have large warning on them to "follow installation protocol" with regards to this issue and that it is common knowledge taught when a mechanic is certified.
Any help with this from you experienced Ford guys? I really would like to have documentation on paper when we have to go to court. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Redbeard55
Freshman User
I assume this is small claims court?

What I would do is get an affidavit (sworn statement) sealed by a notary public from the Ford dealer mechanic on the condition of the engine when it came in "butchered" and the damage that would have been done by turning over the engine backwards. I would try to get another affidavit from another mechanic about damage from turning the engine over backwards.

This would establish that the backyard mechanic isn't qualified to put the engine in as he "butchered" it and that it is possible since he isn't qualified (doesn't know what he is doing) that is likely he wouldn't know that turning the engine over backwards would cause damage. The engine is also damaged as would be expected if the backyard mechanic turned the engine over backwards.

BTW - I am not a lawyer . . . nor have I played one on TV. Talk to a real lawyer if at all possible.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM
SALVAGEGUY23
New User

Thanks......That crossed our mind but the mechanic where vehicle is now doesn't seem to want to get in the middle between us and his customer. I may have to try that with my local trusted Ford dealer but hearing is in just couple weeks. I was hoping somebody else out there in this forum had run across this and possibly had some paperwork from a mitchell repair manual or some similar reference. Any takers on at least have some knowledge ??? Even if you can't document it --- I would appreciate hearing from you