Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 PM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Ouch!

What a way to start my day! I had an 8am meeting to get to and was rushed getting out of the house. I had enough time but it would be close, I always like to get to these things a little early. Being a slave to the 401 you can never tell what traffic might be like.
Anyways I am making good time and need to get into the collector lanes just past the 404/DVP so I get over into the right lane. Wouldn't you now it, everyone in this lane is trying to get on the 404/dvp so it grinds to a halt. I too come to a complete stop in this lane now, check my time 7:30 I am ok since I am goin to Yonge st, no worries.....BAMM! I get rear ended so hard my head bounces of the rear window, all the stuff on the dash goes flying everywhere! Even the cassette tape flew out of the deck. ( yes i said cassette, not CD or MP3!) I even scraped my knuckle pretty good some how? I was pissed off! I just finished painting the truck at new years. Nothing fancy, a gallon of tremclad, got the idea from one of Chucks posts. The truck was starting to look good, still have some details to work out but at least it is all one colour now! LOL. Anyways, I am already starting to calculate time and material to replace the crumple box before I get out of the truck, hoping that I can find replacement parts quickly.
I walk to the back of the truck,...nothing wrong with the drivers side, tailgates ok, passengers sides also untouched!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!! The bumper took all the impact. It's slightly twisted and pushed in about an inch on the passenger side but thats it. By the force of the impact I expected things to be much, much worse. Probably get away with a new bumper and straightening out the bumper brackets but I won't know for sure until I crawl underneath and check things out.
The 2005 Chevy minivan that hit me was not so lucky but the chrysler mini van that hit him took the brunt of it and was in sad shape bleeding fluids all over the hiway. And the fourth vehicle, a Focus, had some scuff marks only.
I was actually in a good mood because the old girl is indeed BUILT FORD TOUGH! I was smiling when exchanging information,...yes it is a 1976! no cup holders, no airbags! just old fashioned iron!

Now, whats up with these collision reporting centres?? I went after work, there was more staff than customers and still had to wait forever! Take a number go and when they call u see what looked like a private firm that takes your info. They give you a slip then you line up on the other side of the room to see a cop. He gives you a report that you have to fill out, then you get back in line again!! What a messy process, no efficiency at all! took way to long.

Tomorrow, I call the Insurance company, more fun I'm sure!. I don't have collision so I'm not sure what to expect. My expectations are low so maybe they will surprize me? doubt it. I can hear it now..." Your call is important to us, we are experiencing unsually hi call volumes, please hold or press......"

Oh well, it could have been worse, like say I was driving something front wheel drive that could fit in the back of my truck! or a SMART car !
Be thankful for what you have .

Frank

Old 02-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to Toronto...

The collision reporting centers are PRIVATELY owned and NOT run by the police. I know the man that does own most of these places and he is in business to make money. Period. With that said, your insurance company will recieve a bill for their services today.
Next issue....
YOU are NOT at fault. Your truck is NOT junk. The cost to repair your truck should be reasonably low as compared to the 2 minivans extensive damages. You should photograph the truck now & include as many restoration shots as needed to indicate it's true condition.
Lesson Number 1.
Repeat after me.....OH MY NECK...OH MY BACK....
If you choose to let this go, you might have a constant reminder for the rest (ya the old guy thing) of your life. Guess how I know this.
AL.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:14 AM
taisa899
Posting Guru
sounds like you got lucky!

Jim

Old 03-01-2006, 05:29 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fp_5
And the fourth vehicle, a Focus, had some scuff marks only.
AHA! See, not too bad. The two Fords did great. Hope it works out Frank. You should be able to find a bumper somewhere.

-Matt

Old 03-01-2006, 11:24 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Glad you're in one piece Frank. And your truck too! Isn't it rather ironic how all the expensive vehicles turn into junk quickly while a 30 year old truck just needs bumper work?

And I'm glad we don't have those stupid accident centres here in the country.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:50 PM
shizats
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. I doubt you'll be in a pinch for a rear bumper but if you can't find one I might be able to get one for you. PM me if you need one bad.

Again, glad to hear everything is okay.

Cheers,
Dan

Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Insurance company was very good about the whole thing. They said they would pay for the repair and claim against the guy who hit me. I have to go to one of their approved shops to get it repaired or I can find my own shop that will do it based on the approved shops quote. Cop estimated the damage at $900, so now I'm thinking how can Frank turn this into cash??? hmmmm....
I have to get the shop to look at it first maybe I can swing a deal with the guy? I will insist on a Ford bumper no off-shore junk going on my truck!
Wait and see...

Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
truckfarmingcanuck
Senior User
We'll its been a couple of days since you wrote this. I gotta ask ....How's the neck. Al wasn't joking, the effects of whiplash have a lasting effect that sometimes don;t show up for 48 hours. Your old truck sent those vibrations through you rather than crumpling like the junk we have on the roads today. I'm glad your truck made it and hope your OK. Good luck with the repairs.

TFC

Old 03-02-2006, 10:10 PM
big daddy chuck
Senior User
sorry i've not been here for a few days ( busy getting our house sold ) , Frank, i hope you are okay , those sore necks and backs can sneek up on you at the most inopertune moment, be very careful with your movements , as for your truck , good to here i have a compadre in the 1st class , low buck paint department, as for turning your vehicles claim into cash its no problem , take your truck to an approved collision center ( ask your agent / adjuster) , you have their estimate for repairs , ask them to write the check for that amount directly to you so you can order your own parts ( nos ) from the internet and then have your own bodyshop install them , they should have no problem doing that , they will set up the costs from the aftermarket and their shops labor costs write you a check everybody is happy , but as AL said , do not sign off on the neck issue until your family doctor has a really good look at you , just explain to them that you will fell alot better with your family doctors opinion,

anything else you need to know let AL or I know , we've been therre and done that,

chuck

Old 03-07-2006, 01:24 PM
CowboyPenner
Elder User
Glad you're ok. They don't make 'em like they used to.