2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My experience with the DiabloSport Predator

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:12 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My experience with the DiabloSport Predator

I wanted to share my experience with the DiabloSport Predator

When I received my Predator it came with software version r2, I immediately installed the 87 Octane tune because my tank was full and I wanted to see what it could do. I knew that version r3 was available on the DiabloSport web site but I wanted to experiment with the version I had received incase I encountered problems with it.

When I first installed the tune I immediately felt differences in the shifting and shift firmness. I also believe there were noticeable improvements to the throttle response but I installed an AEM Brute Force at the same time so some of that response would be attributed to that.

Over the weekend I decided to dig into the tune tweaking options with the specific goal to adjust the shift pressure as I wanted a softer shift. When I started to dig through the menus I noticed a few things that puzzled me. First, the axle ratio was set to 3.71, my truck is a 3.73. I also noticed that the tire revolution per mile setting was set to 680 when my stock program was set to 650. When I entered the menu to modify a tune so I could adjust the shift pressure I was surprised to find that the settings were all showing up as being set for “stock” in the respective shift point menus. This all seemed odd to me because my expectation was that the settings such as tire rev/mile and axle ratio would default to what my truck is (according to Ford's factory programmed values) and the other settings, such as shift pressure, would be set to the values installed with the performance tune, but they were not.

At this point I decided to return my truck back to its original program and update my Predator to the latest software (done through my PC with the downloaded files from DiabloSport). When I returned to the Predator downloads page I noticed that version r6 was available, so I downloaded that and successfully upgraded my predator. When I went to reinstall the tune the tune names had changed and there was an additional 87 only option. I choose the Low Octane tune, designed for 87 – 89 octane fuel as I wanted to experience what the Engineers at DiabloSport had deemed best for 87 octane fuel. As soon as the install was complete I went for a drive and immediately became concerned as the truck didn’t feel like it had the response or power it had with version r2. In fact, it felt like it was still the stock factory program. After verifying that I had indeed installed a tune I tried the 87 only tune...same results.

At this point I went back to modify the tune parameters to see what the settings where and I found that they were the same as I had previously experienced. The axle ratio, tire rev and shift point settings they were set as follows:
Axle ratio 3.71 (my truck is 3.73)
Tire Rev: 680 (mine truck is 650)
Shift Points: They were set to “stock”

I also used the real time diagnostics feature of the Predator to verify that the tire revs/mile setting was indeed 680 and not 650 like it was on the Ford factory program.

At this point my overall satisfaction of the Predator is of disappointment as it does not seem to be as plug and play/user friendly as I have expected it to be. My expectations of the Predator are that the performance tunes installed would automatically set the critical/important settings that are in the stock program, such as the tire rev and axle ratio. I also expected that choosing to modify an installed tune would show me the current setting and allow me to adjust them up/down from their currently installed setting. The settings are only saved once you start to modify a tune, but at this point you’re starting from scratch as you don’t have a way to know what the tune settings are from the DiabloSport factory so there is no good way to tweak them a little to your liking.

I'm still waiting to hear back from DiabloSport regarding my experience and these issues as it seems very strange that their product would be flawed as I have experienced. I know there are a lot of really satisfied Predator owners out there and I wanted to be one of them. I did a fair amount of research and read the opinions of current owners prior to the purchase and everything I found on the Predator seemed to indicate that it was the most robust, feature rich tuner.

At this point my overall confidence in the Predator is rather low. My concern is that if a setting such as axle ratio or tire revs/mile cannot be set correctly without my input then what other settings that are hidden from me are wrong.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:54 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tagged.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to watch this thread.

CMOS

Old 01-31-2006, 07:24 AM
tshannahan
Senior User
yea i had the same problem and they did nothing to help me out to get it to work so i bought a superchips and that works great

Old 01-31-2006, 07:26 AM
tshannahan
Senior User
the one thing that happened to me was with the tunes in my truck would randomly shut off

Old 01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
kapoho
Freshman User
I've used the Predator for the last six months and like it a lot because of the ability to adjust all of the different parameters. I enjoy messing with all of the different settings and have got my own custom tune for my truck that I enjoy.

From my experience the Predator has limited plug and plug and play; it will work, but not as good as it could. I threw on the performance tune and immediately noticed ping, speedo was off, and the shift settings plain sucked. I had to play around with the timing, shift setting, and Revs per Mile to get everything where I wanted.

I guess what it comes down to is your understanding of all of the settings and if you like tinkering around with the settings. If you want to plug it in and go, another tuner may be better for you. If you like versatility and want your own custom settings, the Predator works great.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:11 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you read the manual cover to cover? It pretty much covers the gear ratio question as well as the shift firmness settings.

The Predator is much more than a run of the mill tuner, YOU pretty much dictate the settings where as other tuners you are pretty much stuck with what ever they give you.

The reason your tire revs is off is because of the optional tire size you have on your truck....i.e. you have to tell the predator this as it defaults to the size that most F150s have. My experinces with this

Here's what I run my truck at.

94 octane...(using the diablo tune (it requires 93))

SA for both tables
1% advance

WOT shift firmness
60 for all ranges

Tire Revs
660 (I have the 18'' option tire)

When I run 89 I just use the same tune and back the advance down to a 4-5% retard on both tables. If I use 91 then I back it off to a 2% retard on both tables.

Last edited by superrangerman2002; 01-31-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
HawaiianStyle
Senior User
I had mine for just under a year and as Kapoho said, "if you like to tinker with the settings", this is the way to go. I have had one problem with mine though, when installing my peformance tune, it conflicted with my python alarm system. (the led stayed on) but the alarm seemed to work fine. I just didn't care for it on 24-7. so I re-installed it and it went back to normal but with all the upgrades I have, the Diablo really compliments the total package. Diablo tune was ok but when you actually have it set to the correct parameters, it's definitely worth it.
I was thinking about up-grading my tuner to the Hyperpac but can't see myself spending an additional 6$$.$$. the Boss would kick me out of the house she told me before I get anything else I better sell all the other stuff I wasn't happy with like the Airaid, spark booster, trottle body, etc. then use that money after I sell the Diablo. any of you tried the Hyperpac yet?

Old 01-31-2006, 05:26 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
I read the manual, several times but it doesn't do much for educating the user. They really assume you already know what you're doing and do very little to help you learn. Nowhere in the manual did it tell you that you that that Ford Factory settings such as axle ratio and tire revs would be set to some arbitrary defaults and you’d have to correct them. I expected the shift points, spark advance, fuel table settings, etc. to be changed, but not the axle ratio or tire revs.

I think my overall experience would have been better if the settings from the installed tune were shown as the defaults when you went to modify the tune. Forcing the user to start from stock doesn't make a lot of sense...it also makes it very difficult to learn and experiment with some level of confidence that you're doing something that will improve the performance of your truck and not destroy it.

As I dug deeper in the Diablo I couldn't help but wonder if the things I was expecting were just the tip of the iceberg. I emailed Diablo with my issues and still haven't heard back from them. When I tried calling tech support I was on hold for over 30 minutes before I gave up. Maybe it was just my lucky day and they were all in a meeting.

I'm a newbie with the tuning so I expect to put some time into reading, researching and learning. I found a good site (www.fordfuelinjection.com) that helped to bridge the gap of the bits and pieces of knowledge I had.

The research I did before my purchase seemed to indicate that the Predator was the way to go. I downloaded the user manual from their website and was impressed with the types and number of things that could be tweaked. I was also impressed with the comprehensive list of real time diagnostics they offered. I believe they are #1 in that category.

I write computer software for a living so I may just have higher expectations on the user friendliness side of things, but as a novice user I wasn't impressed because I expected more from the plug and play experience right out of the box.

I’d be curious to know what settings people have found to be successful and a “good tune”. SuperRangerMan, mentioned his key settings. Anyone else want to offer their settings?

Old 01-31-2006, 05:46 PM
dragon100
New User
I was told by my local speed shop that these tuners do little or no value in a gas engine.
They also told me that the dealerships give alot of guys grief when it comes to any warrenty work.
Is this true or are they just a glorified Walmart with little actual vehicle knowledge?

Old 01-31-2006, 06:48 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by dragon100
I was told by my local speed shop that these tuners do little or no value in a gas engine.
They also told me that the dealerships give alot of guys grief when it comes to any warrenty work.
Is this true or are they just a glorified Walmart with little actual vehicle knowledge?
Of course tuners have no value...this way you won't be duped into buying products that they don't sell.

It's obvious that they really don't know much about newer computer controlled vehicles.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 AM
kapoho
Freshman User
I am happy with the following settings:

Shift Pressure at 90 for all gears; this will seem harsh until it relearns it's shifting.

Timing backed off 4 on the low end, 8 on the high end. This is ultra conservative. I run 91 and did my ping test at 90+ degrees in the midwest with the AC on and did numerous 0-80 MPH runs in a row, so there was a lot of heat soak. Since I routinely drive through stop and go rush hour, I want to be safe.

Revs per mile I set at 660, because that is what the revs per mile are for my particular tire (Nitto TerraGrappler 285/60/18). Check your tire manufacturer's site for the revs per mile for your particular tire brand and size.

Good Luck

Old 02-01-2006, 08:51 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the Diablo Sport installed for about a month and a half now and noticed an incredible difference with just the 87 tune. I installed the 91 octane tune after running the tank to E and filling up with super and noticed no perceptable difference. I have yet to modify the parameters although I have come to realize I need to change tire rotation to 660 due to the 18 inch tires. If anyone was to ever try to tell me a tuner can't do much for real performance on a gas motor, I would strongly have to dissagree.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:44 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
For giggles I decided to update my predator from the 2nd update that it had.

I can honestly say that the latest revison is far more user friendly than any other revison I've see from Diablo in gasser or diesel forms in past years. Alot of the reduntant steps have been cut out.

I like the idea of the global spark advance, but I haven't messed with it yet.

The high and low octane setttings pretty much remove the ambiguity in what octane you should run (it spells it out in the tuner) that previous revisions have had.

Diablo must have altered the fuel tables a tad with the latest revision as I'm now getting a tad bit better mpg and some more spunk at the same time out of the 94 octane that I usually run vs the older revison.

I haven't much time to see what else is new, but so far I like it.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
So it only took a week for the boys at DiabloSport to get back to me...Unfortunately for them it's too little too late as I sent the Predator back and have an Edge on the way will be here in a day or two.

Here's what DiabloSport had to say in regards to my inquiry had to say:

As far as why you may not be feeling the same power gains you felt with the previous revison it may just need some minor adjusting as the new tunes are slightly different.

Now for the modify menu explanation. When you go into the modify menu the Predator is NOT showing you what is currently on that tune. The tunes that are made and preloaded on that unit will not be displayed as far as what parameters have been changed. Therefore, when you go into timing and it says 0% that does NOT mean that you have 0 deg of timing in your tunes. It means that you have not made any changes to it yet. Same thing with shifting or gear or tire parameters. If it says 3.71 and you have a 3.73 that does NOT mean that the tunes are set up incorrectly. On a side note, Ford tuning is not as on point as you may expect. Gear and tire size adjustments are not always 100 percent accurate. The tunes made for your car are modified versions of the same file that came out of your truck. When the Predator arrives in your hand there are no tunes on it...only formulas to make a tune. So what happens is you plug it in and it saves your backup. From your backup a tune is generated. So the numbers you may see are actually what Ford has programmed. If we were to look at your stock tunes on a computer I'm sure we would find the same results. You would never notice the speedometer being off because it is so close that it shouldn't matter. If you would like to dig further into this please call us for an "on the phone" explanation.

Thank you for your interest in DiabloSport!