1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Coolant Line on Throttlebody Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 12:31 PM
jbabbler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Line on Throttlebody Elbow

This weekend I spent some time trying to chase down the annoying pinging that I get on the interstate while cruising. I have read and reread every post I can find about pinging solutions and went to work on the throttle body on Saturday. I found the clogged EGR ports on the elbow, cleaned them out and cleaned the TB as well. I also cleaned the MAF, IAC and the EGR valve for good measure. The deallership says the DPFE is working properly and that the EGR valve is responding properly as well. (I am currently running Techron through this tank of gas as well.) I reconnected everything and had the exact same problem this morning. It happens on the Interstate mostly when cruising with my foot barely on the gas. I can also hear the occasional random stray-ping as well. It happens on both sides of the engine and is audible with the radio on and the vents blowing on low. It is not loud or sustained, just happens for a second or two. My 2001 EXPY with the 4.6L and 86k miles has never pinged so i know its not normal.

I read in the 3.0L forums that people were removing the coolant lines on the intake manifold to reduce pinging and wondered if bypassing the throttle-body coolant lines would yield the same results on the 4.6L. There are two small coolant lines that run to a collar surrounding the PCV valve tube on the back of the TB elbow. Has anyone ever done this? I am getting annoyed with this pinging and my truck only has 30k miles.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:48 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey jbabbler,
You might need th have the a dealership flash the computer. Racerguy Dave might be able to shine some light on this subject. How about the gas your running? Might try a different station. A gas mix problem might be a factor. Just a thought. Go luck let us know. Maybe a sticking thermostat-just a thougt.

Dave P

Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The coolant hoses that run to the PCV on your truck are just to keep it from freezing up and shouldn't make any difference with a pinging problem.
A reflash may cure it, but it may not.
Is your truck still under warranty? If it is your dealer might reflash it for you. I don't think that on your truck the parameters for gas octane are adjustable but you might ask the dealer about that at the same time. It would be helpful for you to talk to the tech that's working on the truck rather than just the service advisor because he probably won't have much of a clue about what you're talking about.
They could also watch the MAF etc readings while the truck is pinging and see if anything shows up.
I agree with bosshoss about trying a different brand of gas too.
A slight ping usually isn't anything to worry about but it can get annoying.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:25 AM
jbabbler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. When I took it in for pinging, I spoke to the tech. He rode with me and heard the pinging. He described it as "light pinging" and said he waould see if any flash updates were available from Ford. He said that mine was up-to-date. He said that he went in to the PCM and "pulled out some timing" and to see if that helped. It still does it. It is still under warranty but quite frankly, I'm sick of spending sooooo much time at the dealership.

The only thing I haven't tried is the fuel filter. Anyone had any luck eliminating pinging by changing theirs? It's got 34k on it so I guess it's time.