Sponsored by:

Idle shutter and Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:21 PM
mulpha
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Idle shutter and Pinging

1990 351w Bronco 4x4, Replaced Distib. Cap, Wires, Plugs, Rotor, Flushed radiator, engine flush, diff drain and oil change, fuel filter change.

Before all this work and after I have experienced a bump as i describe it on the road at stop lights or any time just idling. Engine runs great getting about 12mi/gl, pinging annoying after a mechanic adjusted my timing, he told me that it was set to zero and now its set to ten, said engine will ping from carbon buildup.

How can I get rid of the ping, trying more gas treatment with higher octane. still pinging - do i need a valve job or should i just drive it till it dies and get a rebuild 135k.

However, despite the above it has good power and can move with all the weight it pulling.

Should I look to the EGR or more difficult the TPS under the throttle body. *(very unhappy about having to remove the TB)

How about some good ole fashion advice that I've seen on other posts.

Im going to be buried in this bronco help me out guys.

M

Old 08-28-2003, 09:09 PM
frogger01
Senior User
Idle shutter and Pinging

I havent had this problem before but I have heard a little marvel mystery oil either through the intake or in the fuel tank will knock out the carbon pretty quickly. But before going out and buying this stuff check with some of the other people here and see what they recomend.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:55 PM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic
Idle shutter and Pinging

Follow this link and pull the codes with a paperclip. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=112293

It's strange that the timing would be off if it had not been messed with before. Are you saying that it only started pinging after he adjusted the timing? If that's the case, then I'd say that he doesn't know what he's doing and has advanced the timing way too far. You might want to get the timing checked by somebody else just to be sure; all that pinging isn't good for the engine at all.

Old 08-29-2003, 07:17 AM
mulpha
Freshman User
Lightbulb Idle shutter and Pinging

Ok, the last one sounds plausable, Im temped to turn the darn thing myself back to orig, but it would prob be better let to a professional.

I had my suspicions when he tuned the timing up to compensate for the truck dying when you had the air cond. on. Even without it the truck would flutter above dying.

Now it doesnt die and in hot weather the pinging seems to be the worst.

Im taking it to a old mechanic guy thats a real no nonsense cuss that is not chatty. *(I think these are excellent indicators of a good mechanic, if he talks too muchs get outta his shop.)

Hopefully, I can get some resolution without having to take it to Ford and pay 500-1k for an unknown obsure reason.

I'm still temped to check the ECG, the engine runs so good im leaning towards a part that is not functioning right. On the highway this truck can pull away when you put the pedal to the metal.