1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

02 Ranger speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:48 PM
9bucks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 Ranger speed sensor

I am trying to install a truespeed speed calibrator and a cruise control in my 2002 2wd, 2.3 16V ranger. The intructions in both kits list a gray with black stripe wire coming from the speed sensor. But when I look at my (7.5") differential housing connection, the two wires are colored solid hot pink and pastel green with a black stripe. The wires lead to a harness loom within 2 feet and the entire rear loom ends at a multi pin connector outside the chassis underneath the driver seat. There are three total solid pink wires going to the pin connector but only one pastel green with black stripe. The wire I'm looking for by the intructions is a light gray with black stripe wire. There is none going into the multi pin connector. My question is, do the wire colors change on the other side of that multi pin connector? If not, which wire is my target wire? My guess is the pastel green with black stripe wire. Any help would be well appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by 9bucks; 12-31-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:02 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Well on 93-99 Rangers with 4WABS, my manual shows, R/Pk as speed sensor high side & Lg/Bk as low side, fom the speed sensor all the way to the 4WABS module.

On RABS, it shows the same speed sensor wire colors & designation all the way to the RABS module.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:09 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome 9bucks, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:21 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The VSS is on pin 68 of the PCM on my '04 Edge 3.0 and is a gry/black wire. Hope this helps.
Dono

Old 12-31-2005, 02:23 PM
9bucks
New User
I'm going to take the driver side seat out and look. I'm thinking the wire colors that line up to the other side of the pin connector remain the same. Hopefully there is an O2 owner out there that can set me straight.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:54 PM
9bucks
New User
Nope, the more things I do to this truck the more it wants to fight me. The wire colors remain the same to the ABS module. Hot pink and green/black. I'm sure the green/black wire is my target wire. What led up to all this is that I just installed a cold air intake, jet chip and opened up the exhaust. 4.56 gears, new cross shafts and a posi. Fab tech 2.5" performance susspension with 15-32X11.50 tires and way over done bushwhacker extend-a-flares (makes it look like an ATV). The susspension, flares and tires fit very well. The gears however were a different story The truck is a dog with out the Jet chip, but with the chip overall performance and gas milage is the same with the new tires and gears as it was when it was stock. These 16V 4 bangers are pretty zippy stock. I'm sure leaving everything stock with just the intake, chip and exhaust done would make it a little terror on the interstate. A 4.10 gear set and the engine preformance stuff with a good set of tires on stock rims would be a fun choice for this truck. All the heavy tires and gears plus the added wind resistance bring it back into perspective. The ring on the new gear set is twice a thick as the old ones (size 12 into a size 8 shoe kind of thing). It could still use a colder thermostat and open the ehaust some more. After that it's new cams. But for now there isn't even a thermostat option for this motor yet. It's been confusing from the start with this truck because no one has worked on this motor much yet. Thanks for the help, it made everything obvious for me.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dono
The VSS is on pin 68 of the PCM on my '04 Edge 3.0 and is a gry/black wire.
It's the same PIN # on 9bucks '02.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:22 PM
9bucks
New User
Rockledge is right. Pin 68 off the PCM is a gray/black wire. But both instruction manuals for the speedometer calibrator and the cruise control talk about a gray black wire off the ABS module and the speed sensor. Also the speedometer calibrator instuction says the gray/black wire can be located at the "GEM module connection C201B pin 14" in which there is no gray black wire. However when I look at the two wires coming off the ABS module and the two wires off the speed sensor, they are pink (tach?) and green/black (VSS?). I still think it's the green/black wire because the speed control and speedometer calibrator instuctions talk about the speed sensor and ABS connection points being best, but they both say gray/black wire should be where the green/black wire is. Neither of them talk about pin 68 off the PCM. Any kind of comment or advice is still appreciated on this one since I am no expert. Thanks again

Old 12-31-2005, 10:58 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
The wiring diagram for the '02 does indeed show a GY/BK wire coming off the GEM at Pin 14 regarding vheicle speed control. Are you sure about the component you are looking at (behind the center dash) and/or the colors of the wires?

There is no indication in the diagrams that there is a GY/BK wire coming off the rear diff speed sensor nor the ABS module.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:41 AM
9bucks
New User
What is the GEM? I know the PCM is right center at the top of the fire wall inside the engine compartment. That is where I installed the JET power chip. On that component, pin 68 is a gray/black wire. The only wires coming off the differential are a pink wire and a green/black wire which is the same as the two wires going to the ABS module which is on the driver side fender well straight above the shock tower. I guess I don't know what the GEM is. I assumed it was underneath the driver seat. Is that not right? Thanks for working with me on this.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:04 AM
jimw411
Elder User
I also have a 2002 ranger, and i added cruise control. I bought a factory unit off ebay and installed it myself.
Pull the stereo out and the gem module is located off to the left in in the hole where the stereo came out of. Tap into the grey wire with a black stripe (this is the speed sensor wire that the computer uses). Theres about billion wires there but it should be the plug that comes up into the bottom of the module. I guarantee you that is the right wire because i used it for my cruise control and it worked perfect without any problems, besides the fact that i had to modify the 4 cyl throttle pull cable to work on the 3.0 linkage.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:35 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
There you have it from someone who's been there & done that!!!!

GEM = Generic Electronics Module, with a name like that we can imagine that many things feed into & out of this beast!!!!

It is indeed located behind the radio, which must be pulled to get to it.
You can make loan of, or buy the tool to do this at most autoparts stores.

Be sure you pull the battery negative cable first & wait 15 min or so, before you fool around with the wiring.

Also be sure to ground yourself good, to bleed off any static charge you or your tools pick up, so you don't ZAP something in the GEM or it's related connected circuits.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pawpaw

GEM = Generic Electronics Module, with a name like that we can imagine that many things feed into & out of this beast!!!!
That's right, the GEM can be considered "the mother lode of all relay boxes" in that it combines a large number of relays, timers, and other circuitry into one "central" module. For example, on earlier vehicles you might have seperate relays and circuits for the mist wipers and the door ajar warning lamp, but now they are both a part of the GEM.

The GEM and PCM work together on many things and share several sensor signal inputs, including the VSS.

Last edited by Rockledge; 01-01-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:16 AM
9bucks
New User
Thank you everyone. I'm glad I showed a little patience (really hard for me) with this and waited for you guys to get in on my project. I would bet my house that pin14 in that module (now that I know where it is) is gray with a black stripe. The rest should be easy. Talk to you later!