1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Fabritech straight axle conversion kit ?????s

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 04:06 PM
firefytr29wfd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabritech straight axle conversion kit ?????s

I have been thinking about this kit for some time now. I have rounded up the axles I need and was ready to start rebuilding them. I have a few questions before i sink alot of money into this:

1> When I remove the front axle/differential and replace it with the straight axle, will this mess with my electronic 4x4 system in any way? If so, how can i fool the system?

2> Brakes. Doing away with ABS (due to 1979 axles going under the truck). Can I just unhook power to the ABS module and take the bulb out of the dash? Will this allow me to use the original lines/master cyinder or will I have to run all new lines?

Any other complications any of you can see in this let me know please.

Thanks
Jason

Old 10-14-2005, 11:09 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Here's what I know (which may not be a whole lot)...

I was looking into this for a while and then the price hit me, so I said the stock height IFS would work just fine for me for now.

I'm going to borrow a few things that Racerguy posted a while back straight out of the Ford Tech Manual on the operation of the ESOF:

The transfer case is equipped with an electromagnetic clutch which is located inside the case. This clutch is used to spin up the front driveline when shifting from 2WD to 4H mode at speed. When the control switch on the instrument panel is turned, the generic electronic module (GEM) recognizes that a shift has been requested and activates the electromagnetic clutch and the relays which power the transfer case shift motor. When the shift motor reaches the desired position, as determined by the contact plate position inputs to the GEM, power to the shift relays and motors will be removed. When the transfer case front and rear output shafts are synchronized, the spring loaded lockup collar mechanically engages the mainshaft hub to the drive sprocket. Finally, the front axle collar is engaged and the electromagnetic clutch is deactivated.

Essentially you remove the relays off the firewall for the shifting of the front diff, since they are of no use after the swap, and it sounds like the transfer case will be just fine without fooling with anything else. However, as an opinion, going into the replacement time and effort, I'd look at maybe going with a healthier transfer case than the ESOF BW44-06... I'm not sure much will be a straight bolt in though.

You can leave the stock braking system in, except for the sensors. Maybe upgrade to a larger diameter master cylinder for more surface area/more braking force (I believe the 7700 model's is a direct fit up without additional plumbing) and a disk brake upgrade all the way around (larger rotors and at least two piston calipers). The braking system will work, the module reverts to the standard non-ABS mode when a sensor is malfunctioning. In your case all the sensors will be malfunctioning. Remove the light, but the module can stay. No harm done.

Hint: Make sure you safe off any electrical devices you retire in place, just so you don't have a grounding/ shorting problem later on.

Truck is all metric, but the axles are all SAE... verify the fittings on the brakes will work and they're not weird. The brake line extensions are a must just due to articulation.

Can't think of much else...
Hope that helps.

-Kerry

Old 10-15-2005, 07:03 AM
firefytr29wfd
Freshman User
Thanks a bunch, that helps alot. Prob going to work at getting this done within the next year, dont know how soon though. Gotta rebuild the axles then i can buy the kit. Will update when progress is made.