1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

K&N air cleaner assembly part #60-1264 & 351W camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Frenchy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile K&N air cleaner assembly part #60-1264 & 351W camshaft?

I've FINALLY worked out my problems in regards to my stock PCV valve and air filter located inside of my stock air cleaner assembly that provides fresh air to my crankcase!! Thanks again to everyone for their info!! I've decided to use my stock air cleaner assembly on an Edelbrock Performer series 4bbl carb. #1406 with electric choke and use a K&N replacement air filter #E-1290? I've found out that both Edelbrock & K&N air cleaner assemblies come with top and bottom base plates, air filter element, and PCV vent with bolts? I may consider later on on using a K&N air cleaner assembly #60-1264 on my Edelbrock 4bbl carb. but I was wondering where to attach the vacuum hose that runs from the intake manifold to the K&N air cleaner cover (top)?? I have a vacuum hose that runs from the intake manifold and attaches to the cover of my stock air cleaner assembly? Where does this vacuum hose attach on the cover of the K&N air cleaner assembly? To my knowledge there's no vacuum port/attachment on the cover of the K&N air cleaner assembly? Does this air cleaner assembly (#60-1264) come with a kit to attach this vacuum hose to the cover? Also, I was told through a local Ford dealership that I'd need to change my camshaft for a 4bbl cam. because the timing of the intake & exhaust valves won't be the same(out of syc??) if using an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl. carb (#1406) and 4bbl intake manifold (#2181)?? Is there ANY truth in this?? I do'nt want to have to change my camshaft!!! I own a 1983 F-150 Ford truck with a 351W engine. I have a 2bbl stock carburetor (E2UE-AKA) and 2bbl. stock intake manifold? My engine is'nt the origional stock engine? I have instead a 351W from a 1975 F-100 Ford truck? The engine was TOTALLY rebuilt and the camshaft is a:#TRW-TM643 351W performance camshaft?? I hope what they said isn't true!!! Thanks again all!!!

Old 09-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Where does this vacuum hose attach on the cover of the K&N air cleaner assembly? To my knowledge there's no vacuum port/attachment on the cover of the K&N air cleaner assembly? Does this air cleaner assembly (#60-1264) come with a kit to attach this vacuum hose to the cover?
Look at the original air cleaner. If it's the vacuum line I am thinking of, follow it to the air cleaner to where it plugs in. If you look on the inside of the air cleaner at that spot, you will see a round doo-dad. This is a thermal vacuum switch. There should be another vacuum line coming out, and going to the snorkel. Look up inside the snorkel. You will see a piece of metal in there. Grab it and pull it down. This is the air door for the hot air system.

Your aftermarket aircleaner does not have a snorkel does it? That means it has not hot air feature, so it needs not vacuum lines. Just plug the port where it comes out of the manifold.

I was told through a local Ford dealership that I'd need to change my camshaft for a 4bbl cam. because the timing of the intake & exhaust valves won't be the same(out of syc??)
That's a bunch of baloney. And to think they actually pay people like that to work on your truck.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:00 AM
RR4E
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The air cleaner will affect air flow in, only.

You would gain more from it by changing cams, and possibly the intake manifold itself, if you haven't already done so. If you just upgraded the carb, it will likely add a noticeable difference all by itself if you didn't go to big.

Engine parts work in combinations. I won't take the time to get to technical about it, but put it this way, certain engine parts compliment each other. They are not neccessary, however.

One thing I do look at is this. If I were to change an intake manifold and carb, I'd be more than half way to changing the cam, lifters and push rods. May as well do them all at the same time. Add a decent RV cam, new lifters(a must when changing a cam for wear purposes only) and a new set of push rods(you have them out, they're cheap) and only add to the potential power the carb and intake can offer you, never mind the mileage.

Do you NEED it? That isn't a solid question to ask, that really depends on what you do with the truck on a daily basis. An intake and carb change will add enough to what most drivers do with their vehicle on a daily basis that they will be happy. Those that tow boat and holiday trailers will really be happy with the added cam change as well.

The answer, you don't NEED to change the cam, but it may wake the other mods up a bit more in your favor. Your choice.