Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Where To Go In Obx

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 07:37 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where To Go In Obx

Hey folks I'm heading to Nags ahead this weekend (first time in over 12 years).
Was wondering where else other than the inlet would be a good and conveinent place to hit the beach with my 150. I know there are lots of places but since I am not an expert at beach driving I would like somewhere without an extreme amount of difficulty, really don't care to get stuck with my wife and two small children. last time I went had no problems at the inlet but I would like to see more of the area. Not looking for a real 4wheeling challenge just a nice ride on the beach. When I said conveinent earlier what I mean is that I'll probably be staying north of the inlet and really don't want to drive an hour south just to go on the beach.

Thanks
Gerald

Old 08-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Honestly, it has been a few years since I have been down there, but I don't think there is any other place to go on the beach

Old 08-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
We should have a meet and go driving on the beaches down there.

Git-R-Done!

- Chris

Old 08-17-2005, 04:28 PM
gpeade
Elder User
Helloooooo! What gives folks? Doesn't anyone go to nags head anymore? A little help here please!
only 2 posts, I know more of you than that go to the beaches.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:50 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
how bout hopping down to the NC chapter and posting your question, maybe get a bit more responses

Old 08-18-2005, 07:39 AM
stutterstan
Senior User
The Corolla beaches are less populated and lots of miles of sand(I believe it goes all the way up to the VA line). As soon as you cross the Wright Mem. bridge into KittyHawk, follow the signs to Southern Shores/Duck/Corolla and the road dead ends at the beach. It is about an hour drive from Kitty Hawk. Oregon Inlet is more populated, therefore loose sand, but everyone is willing to pull you out if you get stuck. The Hatteas beaches are way south (been years since I've visited)

Old 08-18-2005, 07:56 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Hey Ford guy, your a pretty "fart smella". That never crossed my simple mind.

thanks

Old 08-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Sawduster
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the time, I reccomend going that extra hour (& 1/2) to travel south to Hatteras. Specifically to Buxton. Go past the lighthouse for another 15mins and you'll find the area to get on the ferry. Stay left and continue another 200yards. You'll be on the southern most point of land/ beach that goes for about 3miles. It's very desolate, nice. Be prepared w/ shovel, 3' long 2x8, tow strap, tools, food and water. You need to be self-sufficient here, just in case.
Or you can get on the ferry, travel 30mins to Ocracoke and enjoy one of the best beaches in the world! I've been going there for twenty yrs and absolutely love it! I have a rental house there the last week of August. The only way to get on the beach there is to drive a 4x4 about two miles from the road to get to the water. Once there, you have a wide open beach to yourself. It could be several thousand yards before you see another truck stopped w/ chairs out! Do a "googlemap" search of the area to include satellite photos!

Old 08-22-2005, 03:11 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
Have ya come back yet!, where did ya go, fill us in on the details

Old 08-24-2005, 01:01 PM
gpeade
Elder User
Got back Tuesday and we had a great time. Spent too much $$$ but I knew that was going to happen.
Sat morn went out on gate # 30 which is between Rodanthe and Salvo, had no problems except my pump wouldn't work when I tried to leave. monday went out at the inlet, decided not to air down because of my pump problems had a good time watching the idiots getting stuck, fortunantly I was not one of them. We both (wife and myself) liked the surf at the inlet as apposed to where we were Sat. The water was smoother and there was no dropoff in the sand, but i am sure that changes every year with every storm that comes through.
Personally driving on the beach is not all it's cracked up to be. It's nice to be able to get away from some of the people in other areas but as far as actually driving on the beach, to me anyway, if you drive 20 feet you have driven 20 miles.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Sawduster
Junior User
Hey GPeade- how was the sand in Rodanthe and Salvo? I'm leaving Sat. afternoon for Ocracoke and have heard that the sand was pretty loose all over in that area....especially Hatteras Island. Glad you had a good time....

Old 08-26-2005, 07:50 AM
gpeade
Elder User
I didn't do an excessive amount of driving on the sand but as far as i can tell once you get through the gate drive with a little sense and you'll have no problems. yeah it was pretty loose but still passable.

thought this was kinda odd...my last trip was in 92 with a 250 on 35 bfg mud-terrains. All that was on the beach was lifted trucks with hugh tires, this trip, about 2% of the trucks I saw had any mods at all. Most of what I saw on the sand was Surburbans, 4runners, expeditions, cherokees, etc. All on stock tires and rims and all humming along with no apparent problems. This tells me that the key to beach driving is who is driving not what you're driving.
I would suggest airing down in that area and just keep a steady speed and have fun!!! Hope the storm (Katlin or katherin, whatever) leaves you alone, but on a + note, if you get a bunch of rain you'll definately have no probs in the sand...nice & tight.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Sawduster
Junior User
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm usually the "steady as she goes" beach-driver, allowing lots of room between me and anyone in front...you never know when they might get bogged down. The tidbit about the stock trucks is interesting, if not reassuring. The last time I went on the beach I had a Bronco w/ aggressive tires that I aired down. Now I drive a stock F350 7.3 and was a little....just a little, concerned that even airing down the stock tires that I might not float as well. Live and learn, right? If the truck does get stuck, I'll be prepared though. Plus it will give me permission to move up to bigger tires.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:28 PM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
We went down this past spring break to Kill Devil Hills. I was surprised how much there was to do since the weather was still too cool for the water.

The days were packed with horseback riding, kayaking, kite flying, hiking, shopping, a marine aquarium and such. My oldest daughter enjoyed the many small art museums and all but myself and youngest daughter who is 15 had a blast with the kayak trip that lasted for hours. She and I weren't interested. The guided tour took them near alligators, owls, wolves and other wild animals. The horseback riding lasted a few hours as well.

The aquarium went over really well. I can't remember the name but it's on an island to the west of Kill Devil Hills. Minutes away and next to the airport. If you call ahead and get reservations you get in early and get a back stage tour. You also get to feed the stingrays. The kids loved it. If you have never fed a stingray do it.

I also took them over to the airport afterwards, bought some flight time and had a pilot (instructor) take up my two oldest for some fun. They got to take off, land and fly around. My son (18) got sick - really sick up there soon after take off and the pilot put down at another airport to let him out (and clean the plane . His sister (also 18) got the plane to herself for the remainder of the time. And of course she didn't later give him a hard time.

To make a long post longer there's plenty to do. Keep the TV off and their feet moving. Have a blast or another one when you go back!

Another bonus of that area is that it is not overbuilt.

AFP

Last edited by afinepoint; 08-30-2005 at 04:34 PM.