Tranny needs to shift sooner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
ken_in_il
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tranny needs to shift sooner!

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment to where I can make to allow the tranny to shift sooner? It stays in low gear way too long. I think I might get better mileage if it shifts sooner too! I changed the DPFE sensor, plugs, air filter,and did an oil change today, WOW..... what a difference. No more pinging and more noticeable power. I used the Autolite double platinum plugs. Part Number APP103. This is my first post. By the way, my truck is a 2000 Ranger Trailhead with 3.0 Flex fuel, 4:11 gear. Oh yeah, this is my first post!!! Very nice forum here.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

There isn't anything you can really do to adjust the tranny on your '00 Ranger unless you want to fork over a little dough. You could buy a chip that re-programs the computer to adjust the shifts, and/or buy a shift kit that can be installed which will also firm up the shifts. Some people even do both.

Have you tried flushing the tranny and filling it with new fluid? Often times some good fresh fluid will help with the shifting. MAKE SURE you use MERCON V fluid in the tranny.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:38 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
is changing the tranny fluid an easy job to do? im curious cuz i wanna do it to my truck.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RagunCajun
is changing the tranny fluid an easy job to do? im curious cuz i wanna do it to my truck.
The tranny can either be flushed, or you can drop the pan and exchange some of the fluid that way. Flushing it will remove virtually all of the old fluid, 10 or so quarts, while dropping the pan will remove only about 5 quarts or so (I forgot exactly what the numbers are, but those are close).

If you are not experiencing any issues and are just doing it for extra maintenance, then dropping the pan is more than adequate. And if you drop the pan, you might as well change the filter while you are at it. You can find the whole procedure laid out for you here:

FORD 4R/5R55E Transmission Fluid, Filter & Gasket Change

It can get a little messy, but it's quite doable. Make sure you have a catch container that's long and wide enough to catch the dripping fluid once the pan is removed.

And again, make sure you use Mercon V and only Mercon V fluid. I recommend Castrol Mercon V since it's approved and recommended by Ford and can be found in many parts stores for a reasonable price. I also recommend against using any type of "hybrid" fluid which claims to be both Mercon AND Mercon V compatible (Valvoline for example). The Castrol brand is 100% Mercon V.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:08 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't know this transmission exactly, but three things affect shift speed.
1) the governor.. tells the trans how fast you are going
2) the throttle pressure.. tell the trans you just floored it, Kick down NOW!
3) the vacuum modulator.. tells the trans you are babying the gas pedal, hi vacuum means the engine is not under load, so upshift if you can
Taking all that into account, does the trans kick down properly? Does it shift to 2nd at varying speeds due to engine load (quick upshift if you baby it, late if you goose it?)
Does it shift into all the other gears at apropriate speeds?
Ok, put your brain in gear, and think about what it is doing...
tom

Old 08-22-2005, 10:42 PM
03XLT4x4 Flareside
Junior User
There is a TSB from Ford for a delayed 1-2 upshift. It's a controll pressure problem. Ford has updated software to solve the problem.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:02 AM
hood
Senior User
ken,

Look into a "shift kit" for your transmission. These really work!

03XLT4x4 Flareside makes an excellent point for solid information.

Good luck on your decision.

-hooD

Old 10-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomw
I don't know this transmission exactly, but three things affect shift speed.
1) the governor.. tells the trans how fast you are going
2) the throttle pressure.. tell the trans you just floored it, Kick down NOW!
3) the vacuum modulator.. tells the trans you are babying the gas pedal, hi vacuum means the engine is not under load, so upshift if you can
This trans doesn't have any of those three. It's electronically controlled, so the computer took over for the governor, throttle pressure valve, and vacuum modulator. You have to change the programming in the computer to change when it shifts.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:06 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
As I said, 2 months ago, I don't know this particular transmission. Excuse me.