2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hubcentric rings for aftermarket wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Kurious
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hubcentric rings for aftermarket wheels???

Hello all, got a question about hubcentric rings for aftermarket wheels. I bought a set of Weld EVO wheels that are lugcentric before finding out that these trucks don’t take kindly to those type of wheels. I already have a slight vibration problem and I don’t want to make it worse. Before I mount some tires to these wheels I would like to know how well do the hubcentric rings work? If I install hubcentric rings, is that just as good as installing hubcentric wheels? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Toreador
Elder User
I keep reading about hubcentric and lugcentric wheels. I just want to know what the difference is? I'm very close to getting my Rancho 4" lift and new wheels, so maybe I need more research. I'm planning on the Mohave Teflon from AR they have a bolt pattern of 6x135mm. Are they lug or hub centric and why do I need to know???

Old 05-09-2005, 10:53 AM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
The 04-05 new models are lugcentric. The lug nut is shaped like an acorn with a beveled bottom. Th 97-04 heritage are hubcentric, with a lug nut with a flat bottom. You want lugcentric.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Kurious
Junior User
Hello Toreador, hubcentric wheels uses the vehicles hub to center the wheel whereas lugcentric wheels uses the lugs to center the wheel. All OEM wheels are hubcentric and most, not all, aftermarket wheels are lugcentric. Aftermarket wheels are designed this way to fit different vehicles with different size hubs but have the same bolt pattern. Problem is on some vehicles there is a gap/space around the hub and the center bore of the wheel with lugcentric wheels. Lugcentric wheels relies on the lugs to center the wheel and in some cases doesn't work and causes a vibration whereas hubcentric wheels somewhat guarantees a balanced center because it fits snug around the hub. Follow me? In my previous post, I asked the question about hubcentric rings. Hubcentric rings supposedly fills in the gap that I've mentioned and centers the lugcentric wheels using the hub and not relying on the lugs. If there is anyone out there using hubcentric rings please post your comments, thanks! I hope I answered your question Toreador...

Old 05-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Kurious
Junior User
Kingfish51, not to slam you buddy but I think your wrong in suggesting lugcentric wheels. If I'm wrong I'm sorry but hubcentric centers the wheel better than lugcentric. With lugcentric wheels there is room for error on center position which may cause a vibration and with these new trucks and their personality with vibration issues hubcentric is the way to go.....

Old 05-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Great job of answering the Question, Kurious. That changes my whole approach. Now I'd like to find wheels that are specifically hubcentric to our trucks. Are there any out there like that or will I be "stuck" with lugcentric and a potential induction of the vibration problem. I really like the Mohave black Teflon with the 6x135 bolt pattern but I want to minimize any vibration potential. I've heard Centerline makes wheels for the new style F150, are those hubcentric? Does anyone know of hubcentric wheels out there for the truck? It would be great to have more than one or two choices. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:08 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Have you taken your wheels off yourself. If so you will find that it is the lugs that center your wheels. If hubcentric, you will have lugs that are flat. Ours are not. The lugs are no different than what I had on my 90. Definitely the 97-03 and 04 heritage were hubcentric. My 04 is not.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Have you taken your wheels off yourself. If so you will find that it is the lugs that center your wheels. If hubcentric, you will have lugs that are flat. Ours are not. The lugs are no different than what I had on my 90. Definitely the 97-03 and 04 heritage were hubcentric. My 04 is not.
Well, I apologize if I've started a big debate about this. I think I'll just stick to the Mohave Teflon wheels and not worry about it. If they don't work out I can always go back to stock. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Kurious
Junior User
Kingfish51, I do apologize, you are absolutely correct. I unfortunately went off of other posts stating that we have hubcentric wheels but I went out to my truck and removed one of the lugs and noticed the beveled bottom. The hubcentric rings will definitely aid in the centering of an aftermarket wheel in my opinion. I also noticed that the hub fit snug in the bore of the stock wheel which tells me that the weight of the vehicle is supported by the hub and not solely depending on the lugs. From reading different articles I'm persuaded to believe that hubcentric wheels better balance the wheel and hubcentric rings aid the centering of aftermarket lugcentric wheels with oversized bore holes.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:42 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
No need to apologize. The day I stop learning something new is probably the day I die or go totally insane. As for the wheels being tight to the hub, they are, but when I mount my winter or summer tires, there is still a small amount of movement when I tighten down the lugs.
Another thing you may need to be careful of with the hubcentric rings, if you go that route, is being able to get them off. On my 98 and 01, even though they had a rubber o-ring at the hub, they could still be a bear to get off. Even though this was done twice a year, the corrosion would still make them stick. With the wheel and tire, this made them easier to remove. I don't know how easy this would be with a small ring, if too much corrosion built up.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Kurious
Junior User
That is good advice, I didn't think of the corrosion possibility. It sucks that my truck is very temperamental. I've had it in the shop numerous times for the vibration issue and I'm content on how she rides right now. I want desperately to put some new wheels and rubber on her but I'm worried that they will send me back to square one. Anyways, thanks for keeping me on a straight path...