General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Not Again !?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 11:17 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Not Again !?!?!

when this happened in '99 i worked 700 yards from columbine (straight west across the tennis courts and small lake)

10 Dead in Minn. Teen Rampage, Police Say
By Associated Press
3 hours ago

RED LAKE, Minn. - A high school student went on a shooting rampage on this Indian reservation Monday, killing his grandparents at their home and then seven people at his school, "grinning and waving" as he fired, authorities and witnesses said. The gunman was later found shot to death.

It was the nation's worst school shooting since the Columbine massacre in 1999.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:23 PM
RoyalFord
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dang man. That sucks.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:25 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, i know the area sort of, i hunt and four wheel up by there. not the type of place you would expect it to happen

Old 03-22-2005, 09:08 AM
superspike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in 5th grade in Moses Lake, WA when Barry Loukaitis went on a rampage. He killed a kid that was in my older sister's class that I had known, Arnie Fritz, and wounded my friend's cousin, Natalie Hintz.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...1/index_1.html

Old 03-22-2005, 09:39 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quite sad.

It always amazes me that people say that "________ (fill in blank) was such a good child. He NEVER got into trouble."

I gotta ask. . . . Where were this 'kid's' parents/guardians? (And the parents of the 'other kids' that do this sort of thing.)
I truly believe that a lack of supervision and parental involvement has more to do with this type of 'failure to cope' than any other explanation.

Why can't parents/guardians/principals and teachers (and especially friends)see some change(s) in behavior before a child 'snaps'???

Don't get me wrong. . . I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread. I'm trying to continue the dialogue.

Take care, all.

Keith

Old 03-22-2005, 10:46 AM
grease monkey
Elder User
The schools have changed for the worst since I last went to High School. I went to a urban school for High School and no body there ever thought of bringing guns or even knives. The schools need to have alot more guards and possibly metal detectors. My little brother got assualted is school to the point that he lost 5 teeth, needed plastic surgery, and stitches and the school did not want to face the resonsibility. My mom had to pay over 10,000 dollars to get my brother back to normal due to him not having insurance. Last summer some girl got jumped out side of summer school and got killed.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:51 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Quite sad.

It always amazes me that people say that "________ (fill in blank) was such a good child. He NEVER got into trouble."

I gotta ask. . . . Where were this 'kid's' parents/guardians? (And the parents of the 'other kids' that do this sort of thing.)
I truly believe that a lack of supervision and parental involvement has more to do with this type of 'failure to cope' than any other explanation.

Why can't parents/guardians/principals and teachers (and especially friends)see some change(s) in behavior before a child 'snaps'???

Don't get me wrong. . . I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread. I'm trying to continue the dialogue.

Take care, all.

Keith

That's what you'd expect. Except according to the news stories I see this AM, this guy had "Major Problem" written all over him. If anything was being done, it wasn't enough.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:05 AM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Well, his Dad committed suicide a while back, and his Mom was in a nursing home, so he was left with his grandparents (who he also killed and used their firearms in the assault).

There is no explanation for events like these, other than true evil is running free anymore.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:08 AM
RickDill1
Senior User
His Father Was A Police Officer

He Was The Son Of A Police Officer. Who Do We Trust Now. Was This Man A Bad Police Officer? Now They will Strip Search All The Other Children That Had No Intentions Of Doing Such A Thing. If I Had Kids In School They Would Be Home Schooled. Its Just A Matter Of Time Before People Refuse To Pay Public School Taxes.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:36 PM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
It is really sad, no doubt. But my family was friends with Dylan Klebold(sp?) baseball coach from younger years, and he said the kid was strange from day 1, and Eric Harris was bad news from the start. Its just sad that kids can't get help when they need it, preventing things like this. I don't think it is music, or video games, just a weak moment that starts someone on a wrong path.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Border3899
Senior User
Below is a link to the Minneapolis paper with a good article on this. The school did have metal detectors but he shot the unarmed security officer and went through.

http://www.startribune.com

Old 03-22-2005, 07:10 PM
floor_sleeper
New User
i agree in saying that it is lack parental advisment, however, i think music, tv and video games has a factor also. the rap music lyrics, sexual and violent movies and tv shows show the youth of america that it is ok to do these explicit acts because their role models/favorite artists act or sing them all the time. children need to know right from wrong andhave help and guidance throught life. i understand why my old man said the whole world's gone to hell.