General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

How was it when you guy's/gal's went to high school ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 07:27 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all, I'm posting this because, frankly I'm sick and tired of everything thats going on at my high school, and wondering if you guys had it the same way when you went to high school? My high school now has us wear ID's around our neck's at all times, they lock 3/4 of all the school bathrooms, because kids keep smoking in them, fights nearly every day. On top of this, our own security guards don't follow the rules, but thats another story. The most upsetting event, was we just lost 2 of our students of my senior class (back in 2002), by a car accident. These kids apparently were riding in an 85 red mustang, and smashed into a tree (yards away from the high school mind you) at 80MPH (the road's posted speed limit was 35MPH), it was a rainy night, and it supposedly happened around 2 in the morning. Anyway, thats where my high school is at now. Just wondering if any of you guys had it better/worse, or if you'd like to comment on this post.

Old 01-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went to high school in South Dakota, there was always a few pickups in the parking lot with guns in the gun rack. Nobody stole them, nobody took them out and shot anyone, the cops didn't get scared when they pulled someone over for speeding. They usually asked you if you'd had any luck hunting that fall and wished you luck for the rest of the season. They didn't pull their weapons and make you get out of the vehicle and then arrest you. The principle didn't call you into his office and read you the riot act for owning a gun. Come to think of it, all the fist fights (not that there were that many, maybe a couple per month) in the parking lot or parks stayed fair, the hunting rifles were used for just that, hunting.
You could trust the good old boys then, sad to think about how then was ONLY TEN YEARS AGO.

Old 01-27-2003, 08:26 PM
cornbread6723
Junior User

I graduated in 99. Mine wasn't getting all that bad, but one 15 miles down the road was getting just like you describe. There are sad times rolling through this place.

Old 01-27-2003, 08:29 PM
66 Ranger
Elder User

When I was in high school in the early 60s, I built a pistol case in wood shop. I had to make sure it would fit so I just stuck that .44 mag Ruger in my pants and took it to school. The teacher just put it in his desk until school was out and then I took it home. Nobody said a word about it. I'd hate to try that today, you'd make the national news! Our paranoid society just can't handle it. Regarding the accident, I think that happens to all classes. It seems like our local school has to lose a kid ot two every couple of years. Usually happens sometime in the spring for some strange reason. My best friend lost his son a couple years ago in a motorcycle accident. A real heartbreaker, Eagle Scout, honor student, active in church, all that stuff. Life won't ever be the same for my friend and his family. You young guys need to be careful when the testosterone kicks in.

Old 01-27-2003, 08:40 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a tough one. I'm sure every generation thought their time in school was better than the one that followed them; age and time has a way of doing that. Yet, I think we all had to face the loss of classmates (2 died in my class, both from car accidents), and I had to go to the board of education to get the "smokin'-in-the-boys-room" problem handled. Yeah, the board of education: I rarely take "no" for an answer, I just keep working up the food chain. Now, would I want to be in your current situation? No, but I'm sure it's worse somewhere else. If I were you, I'd write a detailed letter to the local newspaper- let them know exactly what's going on. Ask why the teachers/ administrators/ security people/ parents let this continue. Of course, you better be prepared to take some s*** from your fellow students, but no worthwhile accomplishment EVER comes easy. "To march into hell, for a heavenly cause," so to speak. All I can say is good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 01-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Flash
Posting Guru

I graduated in '65 and we didn't have security guards at school. We didn't have hall monitors either. As long as you had passing grades, you didn't have to show up for class either- but don't miss test day. We hunted rabbits on school property behind the barns. And during shop/FFA class I worked on my '34 Ford coupe. We also worked on the Hiway Patrol cars juicein' them up like putting a dual quad setup on the troopers 413 Plymouth. Man, did he like that. From what I have seen via my daughters going to high school, its more controlling and most freedoms are gone. I think we try to protect ourselves and our children to the point of strangulation.

Old 01-27-2003, 09:48 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is the outcome (natural circumstances) from Lack of personal respect to others.
Plus,lack of respect to Private & Personal Property & Authority.

It's is something that has been slowly progressing for years.

If the people can't learn to live a life of Good Morals,they will give up their freedoms by natural circumsatnces.

They used to give out the strap !

Old 01-27-2003, 10:10 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amen Mil1ion. You nailed it right on the head.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:35 PM
1970f2504x4
Posting Guru

Back when I was in high school, we didn't have guards in school or many - if any - of the rules, regulations, over hyped stuff that goes on today. We certainly had alot more freedom than what there is today. Nowadays teachers can be sued if they offend someone with the wrong opinion, etc. I'm sure glad I don't have to go through high school in this day of age.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:42 PM
TheImpaler
Senior User

I am currently a Junior in HS, and I guess I have it pretty good. We don't have the asinine ID tags that bring us one step closer to Big Brother, nor do we have unreasonable restrictions. For the most part, it is fair and all is well. However, there are some ridiculous things, but I really can't complain. I do well and have my fun and usually don't have any problems. And above all else, we have a lax dress code, so I can keep my hair.
As far as the curriculum goes, it is decent. I feel that some of the required courses are a waste of my time, but then again, that is part of being young; dealing with rules.
Losing students? We have lost a few. I suppose I have been lucky in the respect that none of my friends or family have been lost, but it is still tragic. Just last year a kid was hit by a car, and the year before that, a girl over-corrected and rolled. She died and wasn't wearing a seat belt as I recall, where as her passenger was.

All in all, I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I can leave campus at lunch and could get away with it at other times if I desired. With that said, I agree with the previous post...Write a letter. Be pro-active. If there is anything I can do to help, I would be glad to. Maybe I could offer some insight into how different "programs" work. Anyway, good luck.

theimpaler@comcast.net

-Patrick

Old 01-27-2003, 10:52 PM
brown 4x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buckarcher

I was lucky to go to high school in a small town. Graduated last May with a class of 45. Our school was exactly as you described yours. Security guards are unheard of there. We didn't even have ID's.

Old 01-27-2003, 11:22 PM
FordRancher
Senior User

It's sad that things have come to that and I think it is probably like that at a lot of schools. I graduated three years ago, and things were pretty good then, better my first three years of hs than the last. I noticed my senior year that more and more of the kids didn't have respect for the teachers or for each other. I'm from a very small school and k-12 is all in one building. I remember when I started school there'd be some kids get there early before the unlocked the doors at 8:00 and we'd stand around and talk, from grades k-12. I also remember the gunracks in windows with guns. I only remember one gun though, and it was a 22 rifle, which the guy had to put behind his seat before the end of the year. I think there are a lot of problems though now, and the lack of respect is a major one. Oh yeah, if we're comparing class sizes there were four in my graduating class

Old 01-27-2003, 11:26 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

When I was in high school our biggest worry was wondering if we were going to get drafted and sent to Vietnam.

Scott

Old 01-28-2003, 12:09 AM
erikl85
Senior User

I am a senior in high school and it is sooooo different. No hall monitors, no security guards, maybe a fight every 2 months. We even have open campus lunch. No locked doors on the bathrooms cause no one smokes in them. We do not have ID cards. We have asb cards but those are just so we can get into basketball and football games free. Hell before we got this new principle we used to be able to leave class (some teachers) and go on a donut run, just as long as we brought one for the teacher. Where do you live mbnv? I hate having to take 4 years of english though. And we only have a 35 minute lunch which is BS. But I get out at lunch anyway so it doesn't even affect me.

Old 01-28-2003, 04:40 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User

Yeah, what Dennis said. Lack of morals. Kids these days pick up their morals from the T.V. Television producers get away with putting on such junk because the parents don't say or do anything about it.

Big city schools have it rough. It's become a jugle out there and it's suvival of the fittest. Liberalism has taken it's toll on our youth. Political correctness has become the order of the day.

I would say that rual area or country schools have it better than the inner city schools. I would say that rual America is mostly conservitive with strong family ties to each other, the comunity, the church. People mostly know or know about most everybody else. And as a result good morals are tought by example. It's where people say "yes mam and yes sir" to their elders and address them as Mr., Miss, or Mrs. Please and thank you are common vocabulary. I grew up in such a town and went to a small high school. I graduated in 1975. No high school is going to be perfect and there's always a few that like to cause trouble. Fights never broke out on campus. After school everybody headed down to the vacant field to watch who ever was going to duke it out. One on one, no gangs and no one jumped in. We lost a couple to traffic accidents. Kids like to drive fast on those country roads. Kids hung out in their own little groups as kids do. Still everybody knew or recognized everybody else. Seniors got to leave class for lunch 5 min. early. We had a closed campus but nobody complained. The Friday night home football games were a big event for all with lots of support from parents and the community. Usually there was a pep rally during school before the game and everybody attended. After the game there was a dance in the gym with a live band. In my year book there is a picture of a few students who took the day off of school and went hunting. The picture was taken in the school parking lot of the three of them in the back of a pick-up with a bear in the back and one of them holding a rifle. We had good teachers. Our student counsler was also a minister. Our dean of students was a church elder and a scout leader. Good role models make good students.

Quick Reply: How was it when you guy's/gal's went to high school ?