1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 Big window value?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
azwafree
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'56 Big window value?

Keep quiet and don't reveal my ignorence? No way!

I know the factory vehicle production numbers of the big back window truck is a fraction of the total number of trucks produced in the '50's. That's all for what I think I know!

What I'm wondering is if this reflects in the values and prices today? Is an apples to apples comparison of two similar trucks, the only difference being the size of the back glass, going to reveal a big price difference?

Thanks guys...
Doug

Old 03-01-2005, 12:22 PM
1956bigwindow
Junior User
In 1953-1955 the f-100 were all pretty much the same except for the grills were different. In 1956 ford made a change to the cab with a larger front wrap around windshield, different instrument panel, gas tank behind the seat and a 12 volt electrical system was introduced. In 1956 ford had an option for upgrades like the custom cab which included chrome grill, chrome front window trims etc. Another option with the custom cab was the now very popular and rare large wrap around rear window. Sources say that there were only around 6,000 of these trucks made. I do not think any body really knows how many are still around. Some say there are about 1,000 of the big back windows around.

The 1956 ford f-100 is very unique. Ford only made this style of cab one year. In 1957 the cab and truck took on a whole new look.

My opinion is that a big wrap around rear window is worth more than a small window. How much? That is up to the person who is willing to pay for it. I have two big windows. I found a big rear window cab in the local paper I went out there and bought it the day the add came out no questions asked. I paid $2,500 for a complete cab with doors and windows plus the rare chrome trim around the driver and passenger door windows that only come with large rear window option (I thought that was a great deal!). My other big window is driver. My plans are to take this spare cab and build a stock struck. I always wanted to have one custom truck and one stock big window truck. I have seen another big window cab only sell for around $4,000.

For me the big window is best looking truck. I am a total ford truck fan and I love them all but when I see a 56 big window my heat rate goes up.

1956bigwindow

Old 03-02-2005, 08:16 AM
azwafree
Senior User
Thanks for the insight. It sounds like they are more valuable ...I agree with you, they do look great with the big wrap around glass.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:21 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I have a VIRGIN BBW! What this means is its not a converted BBW. Now that they sell the rear sections and replacement glass anyone can have one.

I paid the money nearly 20 yrs ago when they were so "RARE".

Worth? I think an ORIGNAL BBW is worth plenty! But thats what I like, check my gallery and go to other and check out mine.

Kevin Bigwin

Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 AM
azwafree
Senior User
Kevins winner

Your truck looks great...just like it rolled off of the showroom.

The one I found has the chrome around all of the windows (including the doors). The channel around the back glass and the condition of the glass (worn looking) would indicate that it's original (?). It's torch red with y block and Fordomatic.

I could only hope that it can turn out as nice as yours.

Thanks, Doug

Old 03-02-2005, 11:36 PM
1956bigwindow
Junior User
Hey azwafree; what is the seller asking for the truck? What condition is it in?

I have looked at many BBW, I have seen some good deals and some bad. But a true big window (not those conversion kits like Kevin mentioned in his post) is rare. If the glass has small chips and looks scratch up when looking the glass at the right angle it is probably the original glass. My 56 big window front and back glass are original, up close you can tell. Maybe some day I will replace them with new but for know I am going to leave it the way it is.

Did any of you see how much the 1956 ford Big Back Window sold for at the latest Barrette Jackson Auction? I saw photos of this truck, yes it was a very well done and good looking truck (no interior), AC, air ride, a ford V-10 (that is cool) but what I saw it is not worth $97,000. I could not believe my eyes when I saw this. I thought I would never sell my truck but after that I want to get mine finished and send it to Barrette Jackson Auction. Maybe I found my new carrier.

1956bigwindow

Old 03-03-2005, 08:06 AM
azwafree
Senior User
thanks 1956bigwindow...We are from Mukilteo spending the winter down in Arizona. I know you know where Mukilteo is!

The glass is in sorry shape but I plan to leave it like it is. There are other priorities on the truck I'd like to take care of first. In the truck present condition I'd be surprised if someone went to the trouble of mocking up the back glass...there are so many other things left undone. I guess ya never know, though.

The seller was wanting mid-teens for this one. It's in good shape but no trailer queen...she's been driven, no doubt.

Do you have any pictures of your truck posted? I'm just learning how to use this FTE website so pardon me if it's obvious.

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 03-03-2005, 10:12 AM
1956bigwindow
Junior User
Mukilteo! Hey we are almost neighbors. You can view my gallery by clicking on 1956bigwindow at the top of my post reply.

I have some old photos of my truck after I first bought it. I have done a lot of detail work on it sense. Currently I have stripped the truck down to only the cab and pulled my engine and tranny out. I am having the whole truck re-painted as we speak. I have a friend who is getting into the custom painting business and he wanted to re-paint my truck at cost to promote his new business (great deal).

So I take it you did buy the truck? From the sounds of it the truck is stock. How is all the sheet metal (any rust)? There is a local 53-56 club called Puget Sound Limiteds there web site is www.pugetsoundlimiteds.com. Great group of guys with lots of knowledge and wiliness to help fellow truckers like ourselves. I have not joined yet my self (busy schedule) but I do hang out with them at a local cruzing spot in the summer and plan on joining up this summer.

I would love to hook up some time and see your truck. I have two other friends that have BBW's. You need to get your gallery set up so we see what you got. We all like to see pics of these best looking trucks in the world!

1956bigwindow

Old 03-03-2005, 08:45 PM
azwafree
Senior User
It would be great to hook up if I get back up there for any period of time. We came down here to dry out and it's done nothing but rain the last month! Over all though, it's great down here in Arizona...my bikes here and now my new Effie!...it's a good time, dawg!

To answer your question, the metals straight with nice paint. Of course, as with most paint jobs, it could be better. Under the hood it's stock, with stock undercarraige as well. The drivers floor pan has some old repaired damage...I'm reworking it and giving it the POR15 treatment. That is amazing stuff, from what others have told me.

I looked at some real nice modified Effies but I kept coming back to the stock look. This one was the best I found for the dough.

Keep the faith,
Doug