6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Mercon SP Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:45 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,730 Posts
I would flush and refill it personally.

LV or SP are both fine.

SP may have been in short supply, but it was never removed from the shelves.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SP still available at Orielly's, after all these years. Wish I could still buy it for the $5 price that the OP was complaining about. Ah, the good ol' days.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
And here is the $10,000 dollar question.....does anyone know who made the SP for Ford?

Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 PM
JUGERNAUT
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok ill post all of this again especially after talking to the engineers for trans and drivetrain development at ford last week about this subject that keeps popping up everywhere and most likely by the same individual who keep getting proven wrong time and time again. LV IS THE REPLACEMENT FLUID FOR SP but you can use either or.

this is the last ssm that ford posted on the matter.

Ford Special Service Message 21114

MESSAGE TITLE: REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION FLUID FOR SERVICING TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2003 - 2005 TRUCK : 00126 EXCURSION
2003 - 2008 TRUCK : 00028 F-SERIES
2004 - 2008 TRUCK : 00016 E-SERIES
2006 - 2008 TRUCK : 00175 F-SERIES MOTORHOME
2006 - 2008 HEAVY TRUCK : 00168 LOW CAB FORWARD

OASIS MESSAGE :
ALL 2003-2008 F-SUPER DUTY, 2003-2005 EXCURSION, 2004-2008 E-SERIES AND 2006-2008 LCF VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS SHOULD BE SERVICED WITH MERCON LV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IN PLACE OF MERCON SP. THIS INCLUDES TOP OFF AS WELL AS FLUID REPLACEMENT. MIXING MERCON LV AND MERCON SP IN THE TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION IS ACCEPTABLE. USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID TO SERVICE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS. WHEN ADDING OR REPLACING TRANSMISSION FLUID IN A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION, USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID.

This is right out of the service manual on line and this is updated day to day

Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Happster
New User
Thanks guys. Very helpful. I'll do a flush. FYI, I was able to trace the bucking to an ignition issue. Coil was cooked on cylinder 7 and plug was firing weakly and only sporadically. Nice to learn that my truck has the idiotic plug design with the electrode shield carbon build-up that causes the plugs to break off in the head. But I followed the TSB 08-7-6 to the T (OK, engine WAS a little warm :-) and got them all out. Of course, #7 was not firing and the plug shield had no carbon, so that came right out. But thank god the other 7 did! No one in my area had any nickel anti-seize so I'm waiting for a tube off ebay and will take them out and coat the shields later. Nothing's easy!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Happster
New User
Jugernaut-Would you flush the tranny under my circumstances? I put less than a quart of Mercon V in the 6 speed tranny that calls for SP. Doesn't seem to be misbehaving, but I'm guessing I should err on the side of caution given the down side?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
That's a great price

Originally Posted by psmith338
It's time to service my tranny. I found a great deal on filters at Filter1, but I can't find the fluid anywhere but the Ford dealer & they want $4.62 a quart!
Any suggestions?

$4.62 per quart for SP ?? That's a great price. You won't find it cheaper anywhere.

My local O'Reilly is 5.99 per quart, and dealership is closer to 8.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Happster
Jugernaut-Would you flush the tranny under my circumstances? I put less than a quart of Mercon V in the 6 speed tranny that calls for SP. Doesn't seem to be misbehaving, but I'm guessing I should err on the side of caution given the down side?
I would if it were mine.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:49 AM
JUGERNAUT
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Happster
Sure why not! Preventive maint never hurts.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
I guess nobody knows who makes the trans fluid for FORD..........no $10,000 either LOL

Old 07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
JUGERNAUT
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Per4mance
I guess nobody knows who makes the trans fluid for FORD..........no $10,000 either LOL
I'm sorry I did not see your question I will find our for you tomarrow. Again sorry

Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
No biggie I was just curious and having some fun at the same time

Old 07-01-2013, 04:47 PM
JUGERNAUT
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Per4mance
This is what I found written by Lisa tuccu
"Drain intervals across the board with the new fluid will be 150,000 miles for passenger cars and trucks, in normal service," Ved said. Ford says Mercon LV has strong potential for increasing the severe-duty service change intervals, as well, which it will announce at a later date.

Only one additive package, made by Afton Chemical, has been approved for Mercon LV, Ved pointed out. It took some three years to validate the additive package for Ford's factory fill, and only then was it considered for service fill as well. The Afton package includes a detergent-inhibitor package and a shear-stable viscosity index improver package. Depending on the base stock used, treat levels are expected to be in the range of 11 to 14 percent.

To meet the performance demanded by Mercon LV, most products will need to be formulated with Group III oils, Ved added. "Based on Mercon LV's viscosity, shear stability and antioxidancy requirements, use of higher-end Group IIs, Group III and PAOs will be the best scenario." He said there seems to be adequate supply of Group IIIs to meet the volume needs, as the LV market develops; also, there will be less turnover of the fluid, since the transmission fill intervals will be so much longer.

Mercon LV joins Mercon V and Mercon SP as the only current Mercon products for conventionally shifted automatic transmissions. (There is also Mercon C, designed for CVTs).

"The goal with LV was to create a more robust fluid, even beyond that of Mercon V," Ved said. "We aren't yet replacing SP, which is used in our conventionally shifted five-speed and six-speed transmissions, but there is a significant amount of testing ongoing to replace SP with Mercon LV."

Due to viscosity differences, LV is not intended as a substitute for Mercon V. "Newer transmission technologies are being developed with low-viscosity fluid," he added. "It's fill-for-life, and has more stable friction properties, and will maintain the shift feel throughout the fluid's life. It also will maintain its viscosity with less than 5 percent viscosity change over the life of the fluid."

The major additive companies all hope to gain the automakers' factory-fill business, and Laurie Strasser, marketing manager at Afton Chemical in Richmond, Va., said her company was gratified that its package got the nod from Ford. "We're blessed with an excellent research team, who put forth solid technology, considerable persistence and hard work," she said.

The key, as with all emerging technologies, was to provide measurable improvements in multiple areas. "Every OEM is looking to boost fuel economy by optimizing the transfer of power along the complete drivetrain," she said. "Another key demand is for greater friction stability. We've seen this emphasized with General Motors' Dexron VI fluid, with the JASO specification in Japan, and now Ford's Mercon LV. The OEMs want consistent friction performance -- shift feel -- throughout the life of the product, and for the product to have a longer life as well."

Old 07-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Thanks........

Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,730 Posts
I have heard that Shell makes SP for Ford.

http://www.equivashellmsds.com/

Enter Product code - 53174 OR MSDS Number - 401519E in the search box

Quick Reply: Mercon SP Tranny Fluid