2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Going Dead ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:06 AM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery Going Dead ???

How ironic...my name and topic....
Anyways down to business...
I have knoticed if I don't drive or turn on my truck in more than 8hrs of being off my battery doesnt have enough cranking amps to start my truck. I do have a 2k watt system but is backed by 4 Alien Audio Digitop Capasitors...and my set up doesn't allow to drain the battery when off. Has anybody else had this problem with your trucks? If so what should I do about it....I am at 39k so out of warranty. Thanks for any help before hand....

-Joey

Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Dr No
Senior User
First have the battery tested. If that is ok then have the electrical system checked for a draw when it is turned off. Both test are easy but money wise you better hope it is the battery. A system draw can cost a ton of money to find.

Mike

Old 12-20-2004, 12:45 PM
khendrix
Senior User
DieHard or Optima battery. Just do it. Cant kill a DieHard and Optima is supposed to be the best.

I had a die hard in my old car and I could leave the key on with headlights on for hours and it wouldnt die.

Old 12-20-2004, 12:47 PM
BatteriesNotINCL
Senior User

Originally Posted by khendrix
DieHard or Optima battery. Just do it. Cant kill a DieHard and Optima is supposed to be the best.

I had a die hard in my old car and I could leave the key on with headlights on for hours and it wouldnt die.
I had an optima battery put at Ford and it still dies man...I am having my alt. checked. Thanks though.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:36 PM
TRITON-ic
Senior User
My dealership had to replace my battery recently. I have the tow package with a oversized battery. A ten months old it took a dump. The mechanic said there should not be any draw on the battery (except for my radar detector) because the truck has a safety mode that shuts off anything that is drawing current after 30 mins.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:41 AM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
capacitors will not prevent your battery from going dead, they only provide that extra "overhead" when your audio system demands a split second higher draw (bass thump).
I would change out the battery, if this is the original, it is probably time. In today;s day and age 3-4 years is GOOD for a battery. Sometimes less. I honeslty buy the cheapest heavy duty battery I can find at Walmart. I change it every two years regardless of what it is doing.
Amps, headunits, and capacitors all draw a minute amount of current even when they are in the off position. If your system truly does not allow for them to draw when the truck is off, you would have a switch that is opened between the positive battery terminal and your audio equipment. Don't switch the ground. This won't work. You audio gear can and will find the easiest way to ground possible, through many different avenues.
I would connect an test ammeter between your positive battery terminal and various components in your audio system and/or charging system and see where the draw is occuring, if the battery prooves to be fine.
Also, I had a 97 expedition that would eat batteries. I would have to replace the battery frequently, I finally found out it was the voltage regulator putting too high of a voltage into the battery
MK

Old 12-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Dunk
Elder User
You need to find the drain on the battery. Go to Home Depot and buy a 12 volt light bulb(50watts/4 amp) and a rubber socket with tail wires. Pull the positive terminal off the battery and connect one of the light wires to the cable you took off the battery and the other to the battery. If the bulb lights you have draw. Next go inside and start pulling fuses while you watch the light bulb. When it goes out you found the draw...

Old 12-21-2004, 07:24 AM
Dr No
Senior User
Hey Dunk.
That old light bulb test won't work on a modern computer driven automobile.There is always some draw to keep the computers alive.The spect is 30 to 50 mili amps and it can only be measured with a low scale amp meter as that is less than a 1/2 amp it won't light a bulb but will run down the battery.

Mike