Desperately Need Vacuum Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 07:28 PM
navyflyinggreg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Desperately Need Vacuum Help!!!

I tried posting this about a week ago, & was able to get 1 reply - which I appreciate. But, I still need some help with vac lines. Here's the scoop:
I got an 85 F-350 over 8500# made at the Canada plant with a Carter YFA and NP435 2WD. I can't tell by the emissions label if this was the original setup or not. Most people who've looked at the mess have walked away laughing/shaking there head and wishing me good luck! I have a Chilton's & Haynes but they don't follow the label on the truck. It seems like half the vacuum hoses were routed wrong and some equipment was ripped out. Today I spent a good portion of the day rebuilding the carb, which looked like had be rebuilt not too long ago. The previous rebuild didn't look like they followed the directions - not too mention putting on the solenoid bracket backwards and making some really bizarre connections!!! Not to mention having to manufacture a linkage for the pull-down motor because it was missing and the choke safety wired open - geesh! So now, I am scratching my head trying to figure out what in the heck the previous owner did! I do have the Ford schematics for the year but it doesn't have emissions in it.
Oh yeah, the reason I rebuilt the carb....blowing smoke (sometimes), idling rough (sometimes), guzzling gas, dieseling (sometimes) - then it finally decided to run super rich, detonating, and the mixture screw isn't helping. I checked to mak e sure it's not a timing problem - and it's not.
Also, any help with figuring out what goes to the ports on the carb would be great!! I would like to figure this out BEFORE I put the carb on and hook up lines. I can work my way through EFI, but this carb stuff is kicking my butt!!

ANY help would be GREAT!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 10:52 PM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800ce605.jsp

Scroll down till you find your year and engine displacement. Will probably have the carb ports indicated in the same vac diagram. Get your carb rebuilt to specs and installed, decipher the vacuum hose routing (look for old cracked vacuum lines and replace any that defective), get the truck running and re-evaluate how it runs. Post the results/problems and we'll go from there.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 AM
navyflyinggreg
Junior User
Thanks...but, that's the same diagram in my Chilton's. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those components but the PVS, air cleaner stuff, and the purge valve. I gues I am down to trying to figure out what to connect to get it running decent. The problem is, I don't know how to read the carb ports off the diagram. I am looking at the calibration: 4-53G-R10 for the 4.9L 2WD MAN. On the carb there are 4 ports on one side (1 large on top above choke plate, 1 aft, 1 fwd, & 1 at throttle plate). The opposite side has 1 port & the pull-down (?) motor. On the front is the fuel inlet & 1 port to the purge valve. Then there is 1 large port on the EGR spacer (PCV connect?). I know this carb is used on multiple vehicles, but I don't know what/where to connect & what to cap off. Damn! Wish it had sensors and wires......LOL

Old 12-03-2004, 11:44 AM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only things that literally have to be connected to get it running decent is the dizzy's vacuum advance, the PCV, and the vacuum to the power brake booster. If all the rest of the EGR and smog equipment is hacked or butchered, it can be bypassed or removed and associated connection ports plugged off. All above applies UNLESS you have a feed back carb. If it is an electronic feed back carb, you will have the TFI computer controled ignition that will receive input from the carb and adjust timing depending on driving conditions. If the feedback circuit and associated emmision junk isn't connected, the computer will enter into a loop cycle that is basically a "get back" mode that will allow the engine to run, but performance and economy will suck! If you do have the TFI ignition, the only way to bypass the emission and feedback circuitry is to swap over to the Duraspark II ignition that bypasses the computer (hopefully someone will chime in with other solutions if I am wrong here). Your above reasons for rebuilding the carb makes me ask if you have the TFI and computer feed back carb?

Old 12-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-03-2004, 10:55 PM
navyflyinggreg
Junior User
it's not a feedback - I got the dizzy in there. I think the vacuum advance is in the wrong carb port. I have no clue which ports on the carb need connectioons and to where. Hey, Sam, that link is awesome - thanks!

Old 12-04-2004, 11:34 AM
tetraruby300
Senior User
I think I have the '85 diagrams in storage. It's quite a ways away (distance wise), but I'll be there within the next couple of weeks. I will try to get you something uploaded for your year and calibration.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:57 AM
frty7ford
Elder User
the port for the dizzy should have no vacume at idle and increase as the throtle opens