6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Smells like burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 05:11 PM
MonumentalFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smells like burning oil

I have a 2005 6.0 TD with 6600 miles on it. It was purchased August 27th with 3 miles on it. I recently had the oil changed by the dealership. After leaving to travel home 30 miles, I got off the intertate to stop at a red light and noticed the smell of burning oil in the cab. My first thought was that the technician may have spilt some oil on headers or the block and it was just burning itself off. I continued home and looked under the hood for leaks. No leaks or spillage was eveident on the motor or under the motor. I drove it 300 more miles and the smell was still around at every stop light after the motor warms up. I took it back to the dealership and had them look at it. They said the mild smoking of the oil after the filler cap was removed was normal for the powerstroke. They found no leaks or loss of oil any where. I owned a 99 7.3 TD with 255,000 and never had this problem unless the oil was getting really old. My gut says the dealership put gasoline motor oil in the truck. I heard that regular oil will breakdown in a diesel very quickly because it can not handle the soot. This smell is very annoying and it clearly smells like burning oil and not diesel fumes. The fuel economy is still at 18mpg and the trucks seems to be running normal except for the smell. I am worried that something may be seriously wrong and the dealership is turning a blind eye and I may be stuck with major repairs if I don't persist. I think I should request that the oil be changed again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Bigham
Senior User
I would certainly go back to the dealer and express your concerns to them. If they still will not help you I would express your concerns to them in writing and keep a copy for yourself. Just in case you do have problems with it.

Let us know what happens.

Ed

Old 10-23-2004, 06:41 PM
MonumentalFord
New User
I've already started the process. I may try to go to another dealership and see what they say but they probably wouldn't be abligated to change the oil for free just as a sanity check.

Thanks for the response.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:17 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MonumentalFord
I've already started the process. I may try to go to another dealership and see what they say but they probably wouldn't be abligated to change the oil for free just as a sanity check.

Thanks for the response.
WELCOME to the site, please read the Guidelines… Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum.

Be sure to check out the 6.0 Bible…..great reading
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps60_manual/

…. In the upper right hand corner of your screen check this out PARTS SHOP for all your “trucking” needs

Must read
http://www.clubfte.com/users/monsta/SuperDutyFAQ.html
Enjoy FTE

Old 11-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Heckler
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just had my oil changed by the dealer and I am having the same problem. Did you ever find the cause of the problem?

Old 11-09-2004, 10:39 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MonumentalFord
I have a 2005 6.0 TD with 6600 miles on it. It was purchased August 27th with 3 miles on it. I recently had the oil changed by the dealership. After leaving to travel home 30 miles, I got off the intertate to stop at a red light and noticed the smell of burning oil in the cab. My first thought was that the technician may have spilt some oil on headers or the block and it was just burning itself off. I continued home and looked under the hood for leaks. No leaks or spillage was eveident on the motor or under the motor. I drove it 300 more miles and the smell was still around at every stop light after the motor warms up. I took it back to the dealership and had them look at it. They said the mild smoking of the oil after the filler cap was removed was normal for the powerstroke. They found no leaks or loss of oil any where. I owned a 99 7.3 TD with 255,000 and never had this problem unless the oil was getting really old. My gut says the dealership put gasoline motor oil in the truck. I heard that regular oil will breakdown in a diesel very quickly because it can not handle the soot. This smell is very annoying and it clearly smells like burning oil and not diesel fumes. The fuel economy is still at 18mpg and the trucks seems to be running normal except for the smell. I am worried that something may be seriously wrong and the dealership is turning a blind eye and I may be stuck with major repairs if I don't persist. I think I should request that the oil be changed again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stay away from that dealer. What a load of BS.
Check your dipstick. What is the oil level? Is it up over the plastic tip?
In the owner manual:
6. Maintain the oil level between ADD and OPERATING RANGE on the
dipstick by adding oil as required. The distance from ADD to
OPERATING RANGE on the dipstick represents 1.9L (2 quarts). Do not
overfill. If the oil level exceeds OPERATING RANGE, oil consumption
may result.

Also here is a Ford Service Bulletin:

Oil Level Check Tip:
When checking the oil level on the 6.0, the vehicle must be on a level surface and the dipstick must be fully seated into the tube to ensure an accuarte reading. Do not add oil if the level is above the "MIN" line on the dipstick. Broadcast Message 1512, 1574

How many quarts of oil did they charge you for on the oil change?

If it is over filled, take it back to the dealer, show them the dipstick and these documents. Then tell them to get the oil level down to just above "MIN" on the dipstick.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:46 AM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer overfilled mine first oil change. Put in 16.5 quarts. since then have done all my own

BE