6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

looking to buy first diesel turck

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:23 PM
luckypunk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking to buy first diesel turck

Howdy from Idaho
been putting up with a little single cab toyota for too long & need something bigger for family camping etc. don't need much in the way of pulling power, but would be nice to have something to put a camper on, pull my small atv trailer. probably could/should do a F150, but the fullsize 250s just call my name.
am I allowed to post a link to the actual dealer website of the truck I'm looking at?
it's an
2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB with 146K for $12999
just wanted some expert opinions on whether I should buy if it looks normal/reasonable or if it is a rats nest of problems.

not apparently performance modded, supposedly only pulled trailers off hitch the only added accesories besides the wheels are fog lights & trailer brake
truck has been detailed really well, but I can tell it has had a fender bender or 2 rear right tail light cracked in peices but glued back together and the tailgate has slight misalignment there with the end of the bed- sticks out 1/8 or 3/16" they removed the running boards and possibly a shroud at the radiator?
I pulled a carfax and looks like it has had some work done (a lot by my standards) to it almost yearly, I put a cut and paste below
<table id="serviceReportTable" class="svcHistoryReport tablesorter"><tbody><tr class=""><td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled">

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"><table id="serviceReportTable" class="svcHistoryReport tablesorter"><tbody><tr class=""><td>8/16/2013 </td> <td> 130,440 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Vehicle serviced

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 07/16/2012 </td> <td> 128,021 </td> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 05/31/2012 </td> <td> 124,992 </td> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 01/11/2012 </td> <td> 123,912 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Oil and filter changed
Fuel filter replaced
Drive belt(s) replaced
Air filter replaced

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 04/01/2010 </td> <td> 90,489 </td> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 11/10/2009 </td> <td> 88,246 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Drivability/performance checked
Fuel system checked

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 05/11/2007 </td> <td> 65,850 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Electrical system checked

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 04/05/2007 </td> <td> 62,850 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Oil and filter changed

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 01/17/2006 </td> <td> 27,101 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Accessories installed

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 02/08/2005 </td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Maintenance inspection completed
Engine checked
Exhaust system checked
Electrical system checked
EGR system checked
Fuel injection system checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 12/15/2004 </td> <td> 26,592 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Engine checked
Fuel system checked
Injection pump nozzle replaced

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 11/01/2004 </td> <td> 23,851 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Electrical system checked
Fuse(s) replaced
Instrument cluster checked
Fuse block replaced
Engine checked

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 09/20/2004 </td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Body computer/module checked
Fuse(s) replaced
Shift lever/assembly replaced
Body electrical system checked

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 08/16/2004 </td> <td> 22,420 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Body electrical system checked
Body computer/module checked
Fuse(s) replaced

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 01/31/2004 </td> <td> 2,597 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Computer reprogrammed
Body electrical system checked
Body computer/module checked
Fuel level sending unit replaced
Drivability/performance checked

</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td> 10/13/2003 </td> <td> 3 </td> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2" class="td-filled"> Pre-delivery inspection completed
</td></tr></tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr class=""> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 06-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Big gaps in the reported services. Ongoing electrical problem that they couldn't find. That oversized fuel filter cap isn't stock and if they put a stock filter in it, the oil wouldn't get filtered and the oil would drain out of the filter each time the engine was turned off.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:53 PM
LindenBruce
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
Boy IDK. It's an 04. If the engine has been updated with studs, oil cooler, EGR cooler, head gaskets, injector seals, etc. then you might be just fine. I would stick with an 06 or 07 if you are looking at 6.0 PSD. Bruce

Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You really need a Ford warranty history report. This will tell you everything done under warranty. I am pretty sure there was more done to it then what you posted.

Two things come to mind when I think about purchasing an 04, leaf spring front end and the HPO pump. The 03, and 04 had the first generation HPO pumps. They have a higher failure rate then the 05 to 07 pumps and are about 1k to replace. The leaf spring front end trucks did not have as tight a turning radius and the GVWR is a little less then the coil spring trucks.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:02 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
01/17/2006 27,101
Accessories installed

02/08/2005

Maintenance inspection completed
Engine checked
Exhaust system checked
EGR system checked
Fuel injection system checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed

12/15/2004 26,592
Engine checked
Fuel system checked
Injection pump nozzle replaced

That part concerns me. it is possible they altered the odometer reading. It seems kinda strange it only went up about 500 miles in over a year and it says things were re-programmed.

I have a 2006 6.0 and they are really a great truck, once you get past the preliminary problems, such as EGR cooler and head gaskets.

the 03-04s have a few more problems than the 05+ models, such as HPOP and a few sensors, but can also be solid rigs. I would definitely bring a scangauge II or some other decent tool to monitor the engine vitals, such as coolant vs oil temps, battery voltage, FICM voltage, VGT duty cycle, and be sure to request they don't start the truck before you get there, so you can hear it on a cold start.

If you end up buying that truck, change the oil filter AND the cap ASAP. The aftermarket unit on there can cause more trouble than you would want to mess with.

I see it has the correct coolant in there, which is a good sign. Take the cap off the degas bottle and check for any oil in there. Oil could indicate head gasket issues.
Also, watch for any white smoke coming out of the exhaust when you drive it. That could also indicate bad head gaskets or a bad EGR cooler. Ask the dealership if they noticed any aftermarket parts on it during their inspection. The truck isn't a bad price and if it already has head studs, even better.

What part of Idaho are you in? I will likely be driving up to Boise in a few days for work and to visit family. If you aren't too far away, I would be willing to take a look at the truck and help you decide if it's worth getting. I have a scangauge and know what to look for on these trucks. I also used to be a car salesman, so I know a few things to look for in general, such as evidence of flood damage, rust, frame damage, etc.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
I just bought my first powerstroke a few months ago. Its an 2003 with a 2005 motor that was fire ringed and head studed. I got lucky and glade it has the 2005 motor. The 2005 -07 do have some benefits and would really focus on them. I am looking for a F350 in those years right now for the higher towing capacity. I am new here but I think most would agree that if the Oil cooler hasn't been replaced lately and it still has head bolts, you should budget for both to be replaced. IMHO the 6.0 is a good motor and can be reliable, but you need to be willing to work on them, know how to check for troubles, and be diligent on maintenance. I really recommend torque pro app. You can read trouble codes, and tell the condition of the HPOP, oil cooler, cooling fan, thermostat, and FICM, and more quickly and easy

Old 06-07-2015, 10:10 PM
luckypunk
New User
I'm in Boise, truck is in Nampa

Old 06-08-2015, 12:02 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Nampa isn't too far from Boise. I'll know for sure tomorrow if I am going to drive up to Boise this week. I'll check back here once I find out. I'd probably be driving out there Tuesday and be available Wednesday to go check it out.

If you want me to stop by and check out the truck, let me know and we can meet up at the dealership and see if that truck is a good buy or a pain in the wallet waiting to happen.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:15 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Looks like I will be heading to Boise on Wednesday. If you would like me to check out the truck on Thursday, just give me a heads-up.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 PM
luckypunk
New User
brandonrr, that would be above and beyond the call of duty. but if you are free I can meet you at your convenience at Amen Auto on Thursday. I think it is west of midland exit (33A) on the blvd. It would be fantastic to know what a scan shows, hopefully it is good/strong cause I was practically licking the paint I want it so bad. I'll pm you my cell, and again only if it is no trouble for you.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:53 PM
luckypunk
New User
big thanks to brandonrr for the meetup & use of his scanners. I'm definitely going to pick up a set.

It was 90* today and we romped it up and down the freeway from what I can remember/understand most data was good. no trouble codes .... voltages ok,13.3 ish max ac & lights on. oil to coolant temp delta was 9. BUT:

couldn't pull more that 21 boost on turbo, and the coolant temp got up to 221 which he was concerned because the fan never came on? we returned & idled for 5 minutes and was 196* or so

other concerning thing was no filter-minder on housing just open hole would the '04xlt have a wire harness on the minder? couldn't see one in the area, I'll have to look again.

on the exhaust pipe at the area under the bed it appears the pipe has a non oem section clamped in there. Is this a cat delete? or is it closer to the motor on the vertical pipes?

another thing that bugs me is someone removed the door sticker showing build date axle ratios etc. dealer tried to blame it on the power washer but it has clearly ben peeled/scraped off.

on the passenger valve cover it states 2003 and the icp does not appear to be there, would this build be an "early '04 have the round EGC?"

sorry if these novice question don't make sense.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:14 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Originally Posted by luckypunk
big thanks to brandonrr for the meetup & use of his scanners. I'm definitely going to pick up a set.

It was 90* today and we romped it up and down the freeway from what I can remember/understand most data was good. no trouble codes .... voltages ok,13.3 ish max ac & lights on. oil to coolant temp delta was 9. BUT:

couldn't pull more that 21 boost on turbo, and the coolant temp got up to 221 which he was concerned because the fan never came on? we returned & idled for 5 minutes and was 196* or so

other concerning thing was no filter-minder on housing just open hole would the '04xlt have a wire harness on the minder? couldn't see one in the area, I'll have to look again.

on the exhaust pipe at the area under the bed it appears the pipe has a non oem section clamped in there. Is this a cat delete? or is it closer to the motor on the vertical pipes?

another thing that bugs me is someone removed the door sticker showing build date axle ratios etc. dealer tried to blame it on the power washer but it has clearly ben peeled/scraped off.

on the passenger valve cover it states 2003 and the icp does not appear to be there, would this build be an "early '04 have the round EGC?"

sorry if these novice question don't make sense.

That main "scanner" i was using was my SCT X4. If you end up getting that truck or any other 6.0, i highly recommend it. The pre-loaded tunes that come with it are good and custom tunes are even better. Even a mild tune makes a world of difference in these trucks, especially in fuel economy. The other reason i really like it is the datalogging capability and gauges, which work nice, whether you are troubleshooting something or just keeping an eye on your temps, pressures and voltages.

In all honesty, I have mixed feelings about that truck. It has some good things going for it, but also a few issues. It ran pretty hot and i'm not completely sure if the clutch fan is the only reason for that. Maybe someone can chime in on that? Something is definitely causing that fan not to work, whether it's the fan itself or the wire harness for it. Even with that little shield/shroud piece that was missing, we would have heard that fan kick on if it was working correctly. The blowby it has isn't excessive, but isn't all that good either. I would bet it came from some dust that already got in from that missing air filter minder, not from it being abused though.

I'm not sure if the EGR cooler is the round one or just an EGR delete tube you saw. I had a brain fart and was looking at part of the intake manifold, thinking it was the EGR cooler lol. If it was a pretty small tube, it is probably an EGR delete, which is actually good, unless you need an EGR there for emissions. If it is an EGR delete, that explains only being able to get 21psi of boost. A lot of trucks seem to only get 20-21psi after an EGR delete for some reason, but it's not an issue.
That was definitely a "home-brew" cat delete pipe we saw though. It looks kinda crazy, but it seems to work fine.

Everything else seemed to check out well. FICM is good, injectors are good, turbo didn't seem to have any issues, especially if it is EGR deleted. Oil/coolant delta was good, alternator, HPOP and IPR are good. A little bit of normal oil seepage, but no real oil leaks. No DTCs either.

I think if you can get them to fix the fan issue, and there is definitely something not right about that, i think this wouldn't be a bad truck at all if you don't have to worry about emissions. Keep in mind though, there is some risk involved. It still has the stock tty head bolts, so head gaskets can fail at some point, but good care and being mindful of certain things hugely minimizes that risk.

Should you buy this truck? That's up to you, but if was me buying the truck, i would make sure the clutch fan issue is resolved and get the air filter in order and get the right oil filter and cap on there ASAP.

That's my 2 cents.

Whether you get this truck or land on a different rig, good luck with whatever you decide on.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Off topic: You spelled truck incorrectly. Here is a Turk, which is pronounced the same way as Turck. I had to do it... The TV show Scrubs is too good to not...

Old 06-13-2015, 05:59 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Spelling ****'s are on the loose,beware!