Offenhauser Valve Covers or Not

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Offenhauser Valve Covers or Not

Just spoke directly w/ a Rep from Offenhauser Racing Products.
They do not make a Valve Cover for the 300 I-6 & never have.
But if there is enough call for one they would.
Here's the the phone number for O.R.P., 1-323-225-1307.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:04 AM
50_Buck_Work_Truck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So they make one out of unobtainium, do they? Well now nobody has any excuse for not calling 'em, right? 'Zackly.

Oh goody, now I can pester them unmercifully from different phones with different aliases, and give this pitch shifter/harmonizer in my guitar rack a little workout if I have to (hehe)! Thank you very much (a la Elvis...). I think if it was a shoo-in fit for EFI motors as well, and under a hundred bucks, it'd be a good sell! And I'd gladly chip in more for that logo'ed oil fill/breather cap! I'd definitely pick up two of 'em then, and I wouldn't hafta feel obliged to send you one, because I bet you'd prolly have one first!
There are just no cool valve covers for the 300 out there that haven't been hand-fabbed one-offs or limited run blink-and-it's-gone specials. And that is simply a crying shame, and this is an UNACCEPTABLE SITUATION, SIR! (me salutes Col.)

I was thinking of scoffing an old "Powered By Ford" one for the interim off an old boneyard dead soldier if I can find anyone with any old soldiers left around here. I know of an elephant graveyard in Maine on the way to visit me dear old mum that has a few. Those chromie Ebay ones look like oil drools waiting to happen.

...either that or (if Offy doesn't kaput-ulate) I'm fixing to cast one myself in the off-season using either a lost-wax or simpler packed sand mold with a little more finish-prettying. I'm building a ceramic-brick outdoor coal forge with HVAC blower from old furnace and a 1/4" plate air cone when I have more time, just for such things (manifold core plug wouldn't be too tough either...used to cast/mill/forge all sorts of stuff way back when in high school besides hall passes and excuse notes). It would be nice to be able to cast unobtainium vintage replacement parts methinks. This idea has been brewing for awhile, and it's time to strike while the iron's still hot! I could chop up and melt an aluminum factory Chebby Q-jet intake or a ricer head or two if I got desperate for stock and a buddy's got an old Bridgeport in his basement that I'll happily put some older skills, rusty but not forgotten, to use with...hey, maybe I'll just millit out of billet and make a bolt-on finned top...don't make me kill again! I dunno, those scalloped areas look pretty tough. A straight rail would be a bit easier. It's been awhile. I wish I had access to a CNC mill. I'd mass-produce 'em for us all for just materials, quick-time and shipping! Maybe I'll go talk to a machinist buddy of mine or two...and another who can weld a toothpick to a rubber tire you could pick it up with (former Navy hull tech). If nothing else, they could help buddy-buddy me some good folks I could send an Autocad template to and make a run of 100 or so, if it's under five figures. I do have access to a CAD plasma pattern cutter table, and I can make pretty fish-scale beads on aluminum when I want to...hmmm. Something else to do in the winter while living off dividends and carousing with fun, happy ladies with short attention spans? For lack of a mousetrap, build a better one! It'll keep me out of trouble...

Options, options, options...(don't mind me, I'm just woolgathering until a plan crystallizes). I think the casting idea is the plan. I'm no stranger to making one-offs when it just has to be done, and I dunno if Offy'll put out in timely fashion, but I'm gonna hound them anyway, just in case. If the casting works as planned, refining process details a little might have me being able to duplicate consistently good results for decent prices! Yes there will be a PCV baffle. I'd like mine to say "Offenhauser" on it (the rounded, painted fin valleys are a must-have), but I dunno if I can get away with casting their logo or the Ford oval+script even on a limited-run affair (one or two maybe if "omerta" was the operative word here...). I imagine licensing the logos would prolly be like pulling teeth. Knowing how most big corporate entities are, I'd have to pay just to put any reference to their name on it, including maybe the intended application itself! How about "Inline Power" with a lightning bolt in the middle? Too trite? Elephant? Rhinoceros? Any other ideas?

Ok, this is going into initial conceptual stages, from there to the ol' drawing board...I'll have one this winter one way or another, whether or not I have to make it myself! Thanks for helping put a bee in my bonnet. You done gave me the matchbook to light a fire under my butt! I'm on a mission from Gawd (Blues Brothers)! If I have to do this myself, I'll GIVE you one for shipping cost once it passes QC!

G'Night!

Old 10-05-2004, 02:44 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Glad to have been of service.
I've been told I'm a instigator.
Thank'ee, you're a Pip!

Old 10-05-2004, 09:13 AM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
Can I put my name on the list of early recipients of this one off special 50_Buck_Work_Truck? The logos in the middle all sound good, just let me know ahead of time which one you will be producing. I have been told I am a capable fabricator, if you need some cheap labor or an idea man to help out let me know, my price is simple, one of the best one off special made valve covers.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:35 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if they make one fer the EFI 300s without the offy name...just the wrinkle black finish with fins...and under $100...id seriously consider it...=D

Old 10-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Thumbs down

They Do Not make one for the 300 I-6 in Any configuration, period.
What the bleedin' 'ell is an EFI by the way?

Old 10-05-2004, 05:09 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
electronic fuel injection AKA pain the the ****! haha...

Old 10-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Samsonitesamsonite
Elder User
lol alright guys everyone get on the phone...

Old 10-05-2004, 08:51 PM
ob-4-id
Junior User
hmm...a fiftybuckenhauser? how much will that cost? lol...