1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

98 f-150 4.6l check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 02:54 PM
MattHerber
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 f-150 4.6l check engine light

FIrst time member. Looking for advice on my check engine light. A few months ago I had to get the fuel injectors cleaned to pass emission. Recently the light has come on again. Previously I had idle related problems, but this time it is still running smooth. Any idea what else could be wrong?

Oh, anyone know when a timing chain should be replaced?

And, should I try to replace my serpentine belt, or have it done?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 09-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi MattHerber, welcome to FTE. I will move this post to the 97-03 F150 forums where you'll get an answer much sooner.

Please make sure to scan all of our forums, especially the ones that relate to your vehicle and your interests. Please read the forum guidelines, the READ FIRST notes and you'll find posting and finding info much easier. Thanks for using FTE as your source for information.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum

When the check engine light is on there is a trouble code stored in the truck's PCM (Powertrain Control Module). You will need to take the truck and get it scanned to see what the code is. Some parts stores will do this for free. When you get the code write it down and post it here and someone will be able to help you with it. It's usually not a good idea to have a parts store scan it and sell you the parts to fix it at the same time because a code doesn't always tell you exactly what you need to replace. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a code P0401 which is an EGR code. It can be caused by the EGR valve, which is something that parts store seem to try to sell all the time, or plugged ports in the intake, or more commonly, a bad DPFE sensor.
The timing chains in a 4.6 shouldn't ever need replacing. They have tensioners and should last the life of the engine.
The belt isn't too hard to change. If you snoop around on here you'll find some instructions for doing it. The most important thing is to have a picture of the belt routing. There should be a label on the rad support or shroud with a picture. It's quite easy to get the routing mixed up.

Old 09-25-2004, 06:34 AM
MattHerber
New User
Thanks for the advice. I'll get the code(s) and post them here.

Old 09-29-2004, 02:06 AM
vanj
Freshman User
Could you please recommend a place to take it for scanning?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Racerguy
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum

When the check engine light is on there is a trouble code stored in the truck's PCM (Powertrain Control Module). You will need to take the truck and get it scanned to see what the code is. Some parts stores will do this for free. When you get the code write it down and post it here and someone will be able to help you with it. It's usually not a good idea to have a parts store scan it and sell you the parts to fix it at the same time because a code doesn't always tell you exactly what you need to replace. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a code P0401 which is an EGR code. It can be caused by the EGR valve, which is something that parts store seem to try to sell all the time, or plugged ports in the intake, or more commonly, a bad DPFE sensor.
The timing chains in a 4.6 shouldn't ever need replacing. They have tensioners and should last the life of the engine.
The belt isn't too hard to change. If you snoop around on here you'll find some instructions for doing it. The most important thing is to have a picture of the belt routing. There should be a label on the rad support or shroud with a picture. It's quite easy to get the routing mixed up.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:42 AM
MattHerber
New User
Try using Auto Zone. They have the gear if they have the time. Also, if you have a shop that you use regular, they can do it. It only takes a minute, and the connection is under your dash. I found that mine was a clogged fuel injector, and this was the second time in less than a year. I have use the recommended grade of gas that Ford says you should run in my truck. I don't know if it is the brand of gas I'm using or not (I only use Quick Trip) but I wouldn't think they could clog up that often. Maybe it is the age and mileage of my truck (128,500 miles).

Old 09-30-2004, 02:32 AM
vanj
Freshman User
Thanks so much for the info appreciate it.
Will check with auto zone.
I won't take it to a shop. The last time I did they nailed me over $200.00 to replace a sensor and wouldn't tell me which one and wouldn't show me the part.
Cindy 88 F150
Originally Posted by MattHerber
Try using Auto Zone. They have the gear if they have the time. Also, if you have a shop that you use regular, they can do it. It only takes a minute, and the connection is under your dash. I found that mine was a clogged fuel injector, and this was the second time in less than a year. I have use the recommended grade of gas that Ford says you should run in my truck. I don't know if it is the brand of gas I'm using or not (I only use Quick Trip) but I wouldn't think they could clog up that often. Maybe it is the age and mileage of my truck (128,500 miles).

Old 09-30-2004, 07:40 AM
MattHerber
New User
Exclamation

The same thing happened to me in February. I had one shop tell me it was the sensor, and replaced it for $183.00. I took it to my regular guy 2 days later, and he said that the sensor that was replaced should not go bad. I now have a regular mechanic, and he is someone I can trust (he also has a 98 F150). Find a good mechanic, and get on a first name basis with him. You bring them regular business, they tend to do you more favors for less (or free in some cases).

Old 09-30-2004, 02:50 PM
vanj
Freshman User
Thanks for the input.
Hopefully, with using this great site, I'll be able to trouble shoot problems and fix it myself.
So far, with the expert help on this site, I replaced the heater core.
Saved a bundle of money.
Thanks.
Cindy 88 F150

Originally Posted by MattHerber
The same thing happened to me in February. I had one shop tell me it was the sensor, and replaced it for $183.00. I took it to my regular guy 2 days later, and he said that the sensor that was replaced should not go bad. I now have a regular mechanic, and he is someone I can trust (he also has a 98 F150). Find a good mechanic, and get on a first name basis with him. You bring them regular business, they tend to do you more favors for less (or free in some cases).

Old 10-17-2004, 03:30 PM
stevesred150
New User
hi am I steven I just got a 97 4.6 I love it but my cheak engine is on and I have got an error code of p1501 and not sure what it is but don't want to spend like 75 to get it cheaked out by ford and it has problems with ideling
thanks if you can help me post it here

Old 10-18-2004, 11:32 PM
buster55
New User
DTC codes

hi stevesred150, all the dtc codes from the 2000 Ford Workshop Information Manual can be found at http://www.visi.com/~rhanson/obdII_codes-full-text.htm

Old 11-07-2004, 08:17 PM
swperryman
New User
97 F-150 4.6l w/P0340 and P0401

Hello, first post here, but was reading through the forum looking for some answers to my questions. I have a 97 F1-50 with the 4.6L V8. My check engine light has been on and my scanner pulls codes P0340 and P0401. I pulled the EGR valve and cleaned out the deposits so we shall see if the code P0401 reappears. However, I also have been getting the camshaft sensor code P0340. I had this replaced a few years back but the CEL came back after a day or two. The Pep Boys shop that originally replaced the sensor could not figure out why it came back on and basically told me that as long as it ran fine, don't worry about it. However, now that I am in a state the requires emissions testing, I can't pass until I figure it out. I have read that the aluminum DPFE sensor could be a cause. I am wondering if that is the root of both my DTC codes. Any ideas or suggestions from anyone?