Computer Chips & Tuners  

Predator flashes can be detected on computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:25 PM
rocknut
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Predator flashes can be detected on computer

After reading and listening to all the posts about the predator on a 6.0L that when you reflash back to the stock mode that there is no presance left on the computer might be wrong. I have a friend that is a mechanic at a large ford dealer and I posed that question to him. He stated that their shop uses a WDS reader. The WDS reader has the ability to show a history of all error codes erased or not and can show a history of all the times the computer was reflashed and with what reflash. But in the case of a predator reflash it would show up as a not reconized reflash which normally means it was an after market program. He said that for the most part the mechanics are not looking for the reflash history but they want to know what reflash is in the computer and is it a ford reflash. If by chance you are back in the shop for the same repair multiple times then they might dig deeper to see what is going on. He said that the mechanics don't really care, hey it's work for them but if the ford rep gets involved they might want the history pulled from the computer. Anybody else know anything about this?

Old 09-13-2004, 05:49 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't see how that can be considering both Diablo and Superchips load a tune in which has the stock calibration identifier -- afterall, the tuners basically take the stock tune and change the tables. They aren't written from scratch. All they'll see is that the vehicle was reflashed, but it will not say Ford/not Ford. There have been literally tens of thousands of these products sold already for the 6.0L and if Ford gave anyone grief about it we'd probably have heard about it.

Old 09-13-2004, 05:57 PM
southernfordman
Senior User
i had my friend at ford to run the computer to see if he can detect the superchips mc 1704 and he could not find nothing

Old 09-14-2004, 07:08 PM
rocknut
Senior User
Well this is just what my friend who works at the ford dealer told me. It might not be true but he did say that if the person who is running the WDS reader is good he can find out all sorts of things. But again he is a mechanic and does not really care what you do to your truck or if you break it, he just wants the work to pay his bills. Does anybody know about the WDS reader and its capabilities.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:32 AM
sy5adm1n
Senior User
Yes and no. They can see that there might have been some things there, but its to them to prove it was a tuner and not something else. Most of the time they see an error code about the flashing but it apparently is the same code for pulling the battery cables. If you are that concerned either 1) don't do it, or 2) get another computer to put on the shelf and put it in when you go for warranty work. I've been running the SCMT in mine and have had warranty work done on it, they have not said anything about seeing codes or seeing anything that raised doubts so far.

Old 09-17-2004, 11:56 AM
rocknut
Senior User
I am not worried if they can see a reflash. I was just simply stating that there is a history left on the computer. Everything else I have read at FTE says that there is no way to see if the predator flash was on the computer. Again no dealer is looking for it or probally cares, unless you have a major failure. Then just maybe they might look deeper. Just sharing some info that I have heard.