1986 Ranger headlamp won't tighten back up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:58 PM
bozo4ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Ranger headlamp won't tighten back up!

This seems to be a no brainer, but I'm still somewhat embarrassed...

Ok, in 26 years of owning this Ranger (1986) I had to replace the headlamps maybe once, or twice before. The other day my driving side headlight went bad.

I bought two replacement lamps and actually forgot what screws do what (adjustment screws top center, and one side screw either side) Silly me, I removed my plastic grill, thinking it would be easier...it helped a little bit, but not really.

The drivers side went in without a hitch, and the Pas side ..well, not so much. And now, the Passenger's side is very loose, and will not get tight.

I played around with the screws to much and now I can't get it tight again.

In order to get this frame tight again, do I only concentrate on the two top and two bottom screws, and the adjustment screw has nothing to do with tightening the lamp frame?

Any suggestions? I would be slightly embarrassed if I have to take this to the repair shop.

BTW...where can I get more of these small short tightening screws, and what size are they? I guess I can try the local hardware store and take one of these with me... thx!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Look at it again. The short sheetmetal screws just tighten the thin frame around the bulb, and they only hold the bulb in place. The other adjustment screws hold the whole assembly in place, and adjust it for aiming.

The short screws are nothing but sheetmetal screws. Apparently they are stripped. I would just take one to the hardware store and get some one size bigger. Make sure the head of the screw has room to fit flush when it's fully tightened.

If you get it all worked out, I would then find a level parking lot with a large wall(side of the store or something) and wait till dark and pull the truck up as close to the wall with the headlights on highbeam. Take some masking tape and make a cross on the wall at the center of each headlight beam on the wall.

Then back the truck up 25 feet straight back, and then get out and look at the light pattern on the wall. Adjust the headlights so they are still centered with the tape marks. Then when you hit lowbeams, the light should go down and to the right. You may need to still make slight adjustments later, it's hard to find a completely level parking lot.

Don't be one of those people you run into once in awhile who have their lights all out of wack, and blind you even though they are on low beam.