Sponsored by:

Vibration above 75 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 11:20 AM
romulin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration above 75 MPH

I was wondering if anyone had a vibration above 75 MPH that they fixed? I have had one since I bought the vehicle and Ford won't fix it because it is above 75. I have checked and adjusted my drive shaft angle but this only helped a little bit. I'm really unhappy and would like help from anyone.

The vibration starts at 75 MPH and gets louder as I go faster.

Brian

2003 X 4x4 with V10

Old 07-19-2004, 03:49 PM
heatmon
Senior User
Exclamation Vibration

Romulin,

You don't say if the vibration is in the front or rear or both.
I had a severe vibration in the front end (2001 Ex 7.3 PSD 4x4- stock) that I couln't find until it became apparent that the tires (oem Firestone Steeltex a/t's) were self destructing (pieces of tread & wall were peeling). My problem would actually start at a lower speed. The mechanic at Ford said the tires had to go- but there was no recall in place. He suggested buying out of pocket and arguing with Firestone and or Ford later. From what I was being told, these tires should never have had the weight and speed ratings that they had- they couldn't handle it. So I called Firestone and Ford corporate and both insisted that they had no info about problems with these tires and there was no recall in place. So, on the side of safety, I replaced them with Michellin's. Being as that I shelled out of pocket for the tires, I took them to a friends garage for mounting, balancing and installation. The young man who did the job told me I had a definite shock problem, where the stock shock couldn't hold the tire down onto the road properly and suggested that I replace the shocks very soon. Then, when he went to mount the new tires, he said that both front rims were bent and should be replaced. He put the former fronts on the back, after using the maximum # of weights to try to balance out the rim. He put the former rear rims on the front and only had to use 1 small weight on each rim to balance. That was last November (2003), and I haven't done the rim replacements, but I intend to soon. I haven't had anymore problems, and by the way, I received paperwork from Firestone to have the tires replaced (after I already have) they originally said they would refund the purchase price for my new tires and sent me additional paperwork- which I then returned to them completed- and have received back a notice from Firestone that I must have been mistaken, as they now- nor did they ever have- any intention of refunding my money. This has left me very confused as I still have the letter sent to me by them- giving directions on how to receive a refund for tires that have already been paid for- go figure. I'm not done with Firestone yet- believe me! Good luck, and have a pro check the tires & rims on your truck and take it from there.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:42 AM
nanuke1
Senior User
Be careful with those tires if they could be the culprit. I once had a tire blow on my F350 at 75 mph and it took out the entire quarter panel and part of the bed including the fuel filler tube.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:58 PM
sharkwhit
Freshman User
Hey I am a front end tech with a 2000 ex.LT tires have a very stiff side wall and if you have an allterain type tread pattern this coul also cause vibration.If you want to isolate whether tires or drive train is the cause.When your vibration starts shift the vehicle into neutral if it stops it is drive train if not it is tires 98% of all vibrations are tire related.If your tires are ver worn a balance wont help much,If the tread life is good take it some where and specifcally ask if they can do a road force variation balance.This is a balance wher they turn the tire on the rim in addition to balancing.You can balance a set of tires to0.00 and if it is carrying 30 40 lbs of road force you wasted your time.Turning the tire on the rim will match the high spot of the tire to the low spot of the rim this is very help ful with bent rims,My front wheel was bent and I computer force matched it and it is smooth as silk..........good luck sharkwhit

Old 10-08-2004, 12:19 AM
jhutche
Junior User
sharkwit,

i have 2004 4x4 6L x. i have a slight vibration problem (through the seat, not the steering wheel) when i hit about 60 that gets worse with speed. not horrible at 75, but enough to make you tired over long distances. i didn't notice the problem with the stock 265/75-16 bfg's. i replaced them with bfg at's, 285/70-17. i took the truck back to the tire store and looked over their shoulder as they rebalanced all of the tires. will you pls explain what a "road force balance is". i am pretty sure that is what they did to my tires/rims today. i was seeing "road force" numbers as high as 80 lbs. they rotated the tires on the rims and got all but one down to under 30. the last one was at 46. it's on the right front. it doesn't seem to cause any vibration in the sterring wheel. what is a good "road force number", anything under 40lbs?

thx

Old 10-08-2004, 07:23 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it be tire cupping from the weak stock shocks we have ????

I found if I let it go over 5K miles without rotating front to back the tires would "cup" from the minute up and down movement that the weak stock shocks allow on my X....

put on new rancho 9000 adjustables and have not had to rotate them as often...

Old 10-10-2004, 11:35 AM
TNcorvette
New User
Brian, I have the same problem. 2000 excursion, 4x4. I only have 45000 miles on my truck and have been thru 4 sets of tires, new shocks, in and out of ford dealers and had a truck frame and alignment shop look at it. Im tired of everone saying its the tires!
Hope we can get it right soon, Todd

Old 10-10-2004, 01:51 PM
lockdoc600
Junior User
[QUOTE]I haven't had anymore problems, and by the way, I received paperwork from Firestone to have the tires replaced (after I already have) they originally said they would refund the purchase price for my new tires and sent me additional paperwork- which I then returned to them completed- and have received back a notice from Firestone that I must have been mistaken, as they now- nor did they ever have- any intention of refunding my money. This has left me very confused as I still have the letter sent to me by them- giving directions on how to receive a refund for tires that have already been paid for- go figure. I'm not done with Firestone yet- believe me![QUOTE]

Heatmon-

I had issues with my Firestones also before the recall and went through the motions to get refunded. I got my refund though! The dealer had to help with some paperwork showing that I got tread credit when I had the tires replaced. When you contact Firestone make sure they are aware that your tires were replaced because of the tire pealing and not due to lack of tread! As soon as the guy I talked to heard "tread credit" he went into a more favorable personality and helped me get the right form to fill out.

Contact me if you have any questions.

Old 10-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by romulin
I was wondering if anyone had a vibration above 75 MPH that they fixed? I have had one since I bought the vehicle and Ford won't fix it because it is above 75. I have checked and adjusted my drive shaft angle but this only helped a little bit. I'm really unhappy and would like help from anyone.

The vibration starts at 75 MPH and gets louder as I go faster.

Brian

2003 X 4x4 with V10

Does this "Broadcast Message" sound like it might help??
Shudder on Acceleration:
On trucks with single driveshafts, check the rear axle spacers. If the spacers are installed with the thin side (1 7/8") facing forward, they should be reversed (swapped left to right) so the wide side (2 1/4") faces forward. If the truck now only shudders with a load, swap out the spacers with 2" flat ones from an F250 long wheel base (two-piece driveshaft), P/N 2C3Z-5598-PA.

How about this broadcast message:
99-03 Super Duty F-Series Two-Piece Driveshaft Shudder:
Some trucks may exhibit a vibration on moderate to heavy acceleration from a stop. This is usually due to too high of an angle through the center u-joint. The correct angle through the u-joint should be 0.5-3.0 degrees (compare front shaft angle to rear shaft). Check the engineering number of the center bearing bracket to ensure it is the correct application, and replace if necessary. If the bracket is correct, the shudder may be corrected by shimming the bearing down from the bracket using up to three 1/4" shims, part number E0TZ-4A209-A and two grade eight bolts long enough to expose three threads above the nut when tightened to 46 ft/lbs. Loctite is recommended. Broadcast Message 0518, 1475.

Let us know what you uncover.

Good luck,

Jeff