Old 06-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
92 Aerostar: rear Wiper assembly: CAM

Does anyone know where I can see a diagram online
showing the way the Rear Wiper arms should be assembled
in the 92 Aerostar ?

The second 'arm' or 'pivot arm' under the main wiper arm, has a round plastic 'cam' which mounts to the motor's exterior Shaft and is notched to remain in place. This plastic 'cam' is allowing the round metal section of the pivot arm to fall through it when using the rear wiper, instead of staying in place, causing the pivot arm to touch the body paint.

Either the plastic 'cam' has been worn to the point where it no longer holds the pivot arm, or I forgot how to put it back together. (hehe, it happens).

thanks for any tips.
Jose

Old 01-25-2006, 09:33 PM
LeftyS7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar problem with a '95. I replaced the wiper blade and now the wiper arm doesn't contact the window strongly enough to wipe the normal pattern.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:32 PM
krankshaft
Elder User
Well I went on my Ford CD and pulled up some diagrams for you the instructions are for replacing the motor but bear with them since that involves removing the wiper arm.

Rear Wiper Motor, Aerostar

Removal

1. Remove wiper arm and blade.

2. Remove motor shaft attaching nut and wedge block.

3. Remove liftgate trim panel.

4. Disconnect electrical connector.

5. Remove motor wiring pins from inner panel.

6. Remove the motor.

Installation

1. Place motor into liftgate so motor shaft protrudes through hole in outer panel.

2. Attach motor to liftgate inner panel with bracket attaching screws. Do not tighten.

3. Install rubber seal and wedge block over shaft. Install pivot attaching nut. Tighten nut to 6.8-7.9 N-m (5-5.8 lb-ft).

4. Tighten motor bracket attaching screws. Tighten to 7.5-8.5 N-m (5.5-6.3 lb-ft).

5. Attach motor wiring to liftgate inner panel by installing wiring pushpins in holes provided.

6. Load articulating arm onto drive pivot shaft.

NOTE:
Wiper system must be cycled and parked by operating the wiper switch. This will make sure system linkage is in PARK position before arm and blade is installed.

7. Locate blade to specified installation position.

8. Load arm onto pivot shaft after articulating arm is in place with slide latch in unlocked position.

9. While applying a downward pressure on arm head, to obtain full seating, raise other end of arm sufficiently to allow the latch to slide under pivot to locked position.

NOTE:
Use finger pressure only to slide latch, then release arm and blade against rear window.

Rear Wiper Arm Assembly, Aerostar

Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Dracoscott
Senior User
I can relate.

I take my rear wiper off every time I go through the carwash and about every 3rd time, I can't remember how to get it back on right. Some doodad in the mechinism gets flipped around and the whole thing becomes a chinese puzzle. Usually after fiddling with it for a bit I can figure it out. . . but it's not as easy as it should be.

Good Luck

Old 01-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lefty, Krankshaft, and Dracoscott; thanks for the replies gents, especially to Krankshaft for the diagrams. For some unknown reason the rear wiper assembly in my '92 Aerostar is still working and seems to remain in place, it even parks correctly! The problem is that plastic semi-round "cam" on the metal wiper assembly itself, not the motor. On another subject: I just got back from Florida, 800 miles each way, it brought me home! can't complain. I do take care of my Aerostar, oil & filter changes every 60 days, coolant changes, etc. 189k miles so far. The problem with me is that I will not buy a front wheel drive vehicle, been there done that, so my options are few nowadays in the minivan market. Funny, On the way home I saw an Aerostar towing a classic car mounted on a trailer, and I had been told it couldn't be done. Thanks for the help.
Jose

Old 01-30-2006, 09:22 AM
LeftyS7
New User
[QUOTE= I saw an Aerostar towing a classic car mounted on a trailer, and I had been told it couldn't be done. [/QUOTE]

I used to tow a 1300# sports car, towed well and could cruise at 70, except up hills. I do have the tow package.