1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Killing two E4ODs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:28 AM
TumbleweedCamper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killing two E4ODs

My 1995 F250 extended cab with 195K mi on a 5.8L V8 and E40D has a heavy slidein camper. I've added helper springs in the rear.

So I've burned out two E4ODs in the last few weeks, one on a mountain pass in Nevada and the other on the flat Kansas plains.

Will I significantly increase my chance of avoiding another E4OD burnout by always driving with overdrive off even if that puts the rpms way up?

Should I buy a PSD with manual transmission? Or will a V10 come with a sturdier transmission and enough power for my 3500lb load?

I can't afford a new truck and it's hard to find used ones. In New Hampshire, where I'm headed, most trucks are killed by snow plowing. I found this F250 on the Internet but now think it wasn't quite enough as I will always drive it with the camper on and am always afraid I'll burn out another transmission.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:21 AM
wbarber_07458
Senior User

My answer on this topic is a little biased - I hate all automatics.

However, the manual transmission used on these trucks seems to be pretty bulletproof. I have never seen any real discussion of problems with the manual.

The GVWR and tow rating are the same on a new diesel truck (SRW anyways) and a V10 with the 4.30 gears - it's just the V10 won't get that good of mileage.

Sorry to ask, but with 3500 lbs of payload, aren't you overloading a 250?

If you've burned out a couple of transmissions in a matter of weeks, it sounds like something else is wrong. Maybe a higher power is directing you towards a 6spd.

Last edited by wbarber_07458; 04-20-2004 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:28 AM
unit5alive
Senior User
As a general rule leave the o.d. off in hilly areas,if the trans is constantly kicking in and out of o.d. it will really raise the tranny temps. also a tranny cooler or upgrading the one thats on there will help,as will a higher capacity pan on the transmission. a transmission temp gauge would be a must have in your sitituation,so you know whats going on . were these trannys rebuilt or used?

Old 04-20-2004, 07:15 AM
iskybantilus
Elder User
I second going for a whole lot of fluid ... really big front mount cooler, possibly auxiluary fan, and a bigger pan. keep it out of overdrive whenever it lugs or wants to kick back and forth between overdrive gear and not, because in drive, it can keep the converter locked, to help keep trans temp down. If your going to be anywhere near the jersey area, i have an e40d that was in my bothers 90 250 for less then 1000 miles, cause the engine blew right after we put the jasper reman in there, and we decided to junk the truck. basically, the 5 speed would be a permanant fix, if you can drive without tearing up the clutch, otherwise, beef the tranny up for that kinda loading.

Old 04-20-2004, 08:50 AM
garymake
Senior User
Follow the advice given above - these guys know what they are talking about.

Also, if you choose to go back to an automatic, try to find one with the PTO - according to my service department (yeah. I know - but they are right sometimes) the trannys with the PTO's are the strongest/most durable...

Actually, the more I think about it, it's probably true for the manuals as well....

Just another thought - let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:05 AM
wbarber_07458
Senior User

Originally Posted by garymake
Also, if you choose to go back to an automatic, try to find one with the PTO - according to my service department (yeah. I know - but they are right sometimes) the trannys with the PTO's are the strongest/most durable...

Actually, the more I think about it, it's probably true for the manuals as well....
The manual transmission on the new trucks has a PTO (it's not an option like on the auto). Another reason to ditch the auto.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:20 AM
iskybantilus
Elder User
hey wbarber, upper saddle river, ur not that far away. good to see a another jersey guy every once in a while. I agree on the automatics being the devil, but do two a bad saw injury last year, i had to go with teh auto on this rig. hoping these are better then the e40d in my one other auto experiance. Love the old 4 Speed NP435 myself, but that six speed is a beautifully tranny as well.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:19 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the problem may be the f250 as someone said...
consider not putting any more money it this one and go with a new truck...
I've towed a BUNCH with my auto and not had a problem...

just trying to help here, but after a while I get tired of fixing and want to get something new...

Old 04-20-2004, 12:57 PM
bigslurrp
Senior User
Heat is the big killer in your transmission. Even when you are in OD the torque converter locks and unlocks at will. What that means is you can generate extreme heat when the tc is unlocked and it is not hunting for a gear. FWIW, my advice and the advice from the transmission shops I have twice frequented for the same problem is to never tow in OD.

GM puts a sticker on the door that says never tow in OD. Ford is strangely silent and says to get better gas mileage drive in OD. ????

Oh, and last of all, put a transgo kit in the transmission. You need it.

Old 04-20-2004, 02:24 PM
iskybantilus
Elder User
my owners manual, both for the 2004, and for my 94 bronco with e40d, stated, you can tow in overdrive, if its not lugging, and not searching for gears. If it comes in and out of overdrive, then lock it out. I agree with you thought, as i earlier stated, towing without overdrive enables the converter to stay locked much better. Even so you should be able to see on your tack, when the converter locks and unlocks couple hundred rpm diff. that slipage inside the converter generates a ton of heat, in addition to wear and tear.

Last edited by iskybantilus; 04-20-2004 at 02:49 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-20-2004, 03:48 PM
bigslurrp
Senior User
The transgo tugger kit for the E40d has a pump mod that locks up the tc faster and gives it more holding power, less heat, less wear and tear = longer life. If you are rebuilding another trans, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $150 and have one put in.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:57 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the site TUMBLEWEED CAMPER!

First, if you are cross-country camping, you might want to think about an F350 dually. The added cargo capacity and stability will really make your life on the road more enjoyable.

As much trouble as you've had with your auto tranny lately, I can understand looking at a manual. However, you should really consider the caveats of both styles before buying. People think manuals are more durable, but it sounds like your auto lasted about 190,000 miles before it went out. That's not too bad! Think about the clutches, pressure plates- and possibly even the flywheel that you'd have to change out with a manual transmission in that many miles.

You didn't say if the "second" failure was on a new or rebuilt tranny. Either way, the shop that did the work SHOULD have some kind of warranty. Most are 12 months/12,000 miles- some are more, some less. You need to check into getting the tranny fixed right. Make sure they install all of the updates to the E4OD that have come out since '95. A shift kit will help too. Properly done, your new/rebuilt tranny should last another 190,000 miles.