Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 wheel drive dually conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 11:46 AM
bgodkin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Folks,
I have an 86 F350XL CC/SRW with a 6.9 liter and a C6. I also have in my possession a 95 F350XLT CC/dually with a PSD and a 5 speed ZF. The 95 has been flattened from the front of the dually fenders back by rather large piece of equipment. I am planning on putting the Drive train and interior from the 95 into my 86. I have already gathered a new rear Axle, fuel tanks, Alloy wheels to match the front, and a bucket of little crap that the 95 was needing for the transplant. That isn't the problem. Here is the meat of the question. I bought a Dana 60 Front Monobeam Axle from a wrecked 96 F350 Single wheel along with the front suspension and front part of the frame. I am wanting to go 4x4 with this truck. I have not seen any 4x4 F350 duallys (except a few Cab Chassis trucks) prior to the super duty trucks in 99.

1) I know that Ford isn't the only one that used the Dana 60 front end. Did anyone else ever use this front end in a Dually application? If so what year trucks am I looking for? Are Hubs interchangeable? if not How about steering Knuckles?

2) What about transfer cases? What is the desirable transfer case for the F350's? I still need to find one of these yet. Drive shafts are not a problem. I figure I can just get those from a wrecked single wheel and they should work no prob.

3) Is the computer for the 95 going to have a fit over this? I can't think of any reason why it would but you never know.

This should be quite the ride when I get it all together. Think about this.
1986 F350 CC/DRW 4x4. Power Stroke, 5 speed, 95 XLT interior. the list goes one. LoL. Defiantly be one of a kind Any input would be appreciated

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 03-11-2001, 12:01 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Brad, the cab and chassis trucks are dana 60 monobeams so they should inter changeMight need the spindle and axles though. and the transfer cases they put in them are NP208 and I just happen to know where one of these puppies is laying (it will be there when you need it) it needs work but I'm sure I could get it cheap (from my dad)drive shafts from the single rear wheel should work. Oh BTW if you need a place to park your toys I can make a spot in the driveway for them but you might need some help getting them back!!!!! LOL really though I don't think it would be to tough to change to 4x4 that other project is the scary one. all that computer stuff to make it run again. WHEW
take care, john

Old 03-11-2001, 12:22 PM
bgodkin
Elder User

Thanks for the offer John, I may take you up on the Transfer case when I get back. I have a friend here that has a 60x40 shop and he has been nice enough to rent me a stall for 4 years to park the toys in. He is even going to start and drive the 86 once in a while and start the 95 for me to keep everything all nice and freed up. The computer stuff doesn't bother me too much really. If I take it nice and slow and don't cut the factory harness then I should be fine. Since I plan on using the 95 interior and engine compartment then it should be ok. Brad Godkin. I tore the bed and fuel tanks off the 95 not too long ago and put the replacement rear axle, wheels, some used tires, and fuel tanks on. What a job! Twisted frame rails are very unfriendly when you pull the u-bolts off the rear end. I have little barces welded all over the frame now and did alot of pulling with a Jack and a porta power to try and get everything to line up enough to put the axle in.LOL. finally got it to work. A 5 gallon can of fuel in the front tank and she made it to my Friends place under her own power. lol. I took the back roads and kept it under 55 the whole way. Pulls great though. Runs and shifts like new. I am really looking forward to getting it in now! I should have left it alone but I had to drive it just once. lol. That front end didn't set me back too much at all. I took a bunch of crap that I didn't need or want to store for 4 years and traded it in. I walked out 75.00 (and about 1500 lbs)lighter. My wife just laughs at me. she didn't even want to ride in the 95. lol. While I have your ear bent, What is Trenton like? I may try to get orders to a base about 20 miles from there when we get back. It would be a little closer to home for me and to my wifes family in Tennessee also. Take it easy!

1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 03-11-2001, 05:13 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Brad, You talking about McGuire???? It is in a nice area but don't move into trenton itself it is a normal city kind of like a mini NY city. but the surrounding area is very nice lots of room to move, and from what I know of you on the site and emails you'll fit right in!!!!!Lol a bunch of local boys in their fords!!!! that is about 45 minutes from where I am. If you get there it is a short hop to every where about 30 -45 min. and you can be in AC or PHILA. about 45-50 min. to outlet shopping in del. If my wife hadn't had this house when we got married we probably would have ended up somewhere like that.
I am finally going to paint the mustang then I can start on the forty My goal for this summer is to get glass in it and the body done and primed even if I don't get the drivetrain done I want to get it primed and sealed up before next winter. I have access to my friends shop next Sat. so after that the red mustang will be silver. been real busy on that getting it ready so the 86 has been getting nothing ..... AGAIN. well take care and keep in touch, John

Old 03-11-2001, 06:59 PM
bgodkin
Elder User

Thats the Base! I wouldn't want to move into the city. I live in town here, Abilene is about 150,000 people and don't care for it. My neighbors give me dirty looks when I fire up the Fairlane or start doing things like I did with the 95. The guy across the road from me actually had the audacity to say "Oh Great, more junk" when I brought home that front axle this morning. I asked him if he had any room in HIS garage and he just went in the house. He probably wouldn't do anything as messy as work on his own vehicle. Most folks in this neighbor hood are that way. lol. The only exception is a guy down the block from me who runs a super mod. lol.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 03-11-2001, 07:08 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Brad, like I said........ YOU'LL FIT RIGHT IN!!!!! these boys are into fixing their own stuff and I even saw an 86 F250 short bed monster truck army rears and all!!!! If it was farther south I would question some of the things they do But I can't imagine that up north they would be rednecks!!!! John

Old 03-11-2001, 07:42 PM
bgodkin
Elder User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Mar-01 AT 08:45 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-Mar-01 AT 08:44 PM (EST)[/font]

LOL, I HAVE been told that I am al little bit redneck I don't think that is a bad thing though. Here is a good one for you.

You might be a redneck if your parts truck is worth more than your daily driver. lol

OOPs, that would be me.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 03-11-2001, 09:36 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Brad, that was a good one!!! You also might be a redneck if you have enough toys that you can get in a different one every day and it takes a week to get through them all!!! (that would be me) I need that garage you are renting a stall in. John

Old 03-12-2001, 09:51 AM
bgodkin
Elder User

I hear that John, Right now I have
The 86 F350 CC/SRW
1995 F350 CC/DRW (wreck)
1967 Fairlane 500
wifes car (Grand dAm)
2 Motorcycles

I am always looking too. I checked out the Cars in Barns site, I wanted to cry. Think I know where some of them are. There is a 63 ****** Overland truck here that I have had my eye on for the longest time. I had one for a while in school. Guy won't sell it no matter how much. This one is stock. Mine was a project some one had started and I was trying to finish. It had a 73 Mustang front subframe with a 351 Cleveland, 9 inch 3.91 traction Loc rear, and a 4 speed. Sat nice and low. I have a pic of it somewhere I'll find and post. Never got it on the roadas I was 16 years old and my Mom thought I would roll it. lol. Oh well, take care.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Old 03-12-2001, 11:10 AM
ryan95f150
Freshman User