1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 F1 - 1st rebuild project for me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:22 PM
oscarxyz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48 F1 - 1st rebuild project for me.

1st time rebuilder and I've got a 1948 Ford F1 6 cyl pickup with 45000 miles. Hope to turn this truck into a daily runner and learn a lot about working on vehicles. Also hope it is not a life-long project.
Engine turns over. Radiator and gas tank were emptied when parked (so it appears). Plug wires are messed up bad and need to be replaced. 1 barrel Holly carb needs replacement glass bowl as this one is cracked on 3 of the corners. Ignition key is missing. Much more needs to be done (obviously).
First questions (of many to come):
What is a good "shop manual" or "rebuilders book" for me to use?
Can I short out the ignition switch (temporarily) in order to attempt to get the engine running?
Where can I find a replacement ignition switch and key? Been watching ebay for a month, haven't found any specific to 48 F1.
I assume all plug wires are the same. Am I wrong? Can I run down to the local auto parts store to replace my plug wires or do I need some specific to the 48 F1?

Thanks for this website. Reading your listings has been helpful.
oscar

Old 10-09-2003, 11:30 PM
BobJonesSpecial
Senior User
Get some catalogs. I would suggest Dennis Carpenter 1-800-476-9653 AND Bob Drake Reproductions (in Oregon--do search). It's your lucky day! Parts for your '48 F-1 are probably as easy to find as any truck there is! (With the probable exception of sheet metal parts) But it sounds like you got real lucky with a 45,000 mile truck so maybe sheet metal and rust won't be a big problem for you.

I think the above mentioned vendors (and I'm sure several others) will probably have ALL the parts you mentioned, in stock for immediate delivery. I have done business with both of these, and their quality and service are excellent. (Most of Drake's reproduction chrome stuff is BETTER than what Ford built orriginally! Notice I said better, not cheaper)

Another GREAT source of information would be The Early V-8 Club of America. (search "Early V-8 Club) They have many thousands of members worldwide dedicated to all Ford products '32 to '53, and yes they love 6's too! If you are planning on keeping your truck orriginal, I strongly suggest you contact them. The bi-monthly magazine they put out is well worth the yearly dues!!!

They are "somewhat tolerant" of mild modifications but definately prefer restorations, which would be great way to go on your lo-mile truck!

Good luck, and be safe.

BobJonesSpecial

Old 10-10-2003, 05:55 AM
Schoonie48F2
Senior User
Mac's Auto Parts is another good catalog. As for books, go to Amazon.com and search for 'Ford Pickup Restoration'. They have some really good books. Here is a real good link for these Flat 6's.
I glass bowls for the fuel pump are hard to find...been there done that.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_six-cyl.htm

Good Luck and Welcome to the board! Feel free to ask any questions!

Old 10-10-2003, 06:11 AM
Schoonie48F2
Senior User
Mac's Auto Parts is another good catalog. As for books, go to Amazon.com and search for 'Ford Pickup Restoration'. They have some really good books. Here is a real good link for these Flat 6's.
I glass bowls for the fuel pump are hard to find...been there done that.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_six-cyl.htm

Also check the online store here, www.motorhaven.com

Good Luck and Welcome to the board! Feel free to ask any questions!

Old 10-10-2003, 06:14 AM
ddurant
Senior User
wellcome to FTE

you can get most parts at NAPA, plug wires, brakes, etc.

good luck and have fun

Old 10-10-2003, 06:50 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get yourself a shop manual for the truck. It will help you alot. They're on Ebay all the time. There's tons of parts out there if you've got the cash. If it's a clean truck, I'd fix it up stock. There doesn't seem to be too many out there with the flatty 6 in them, at least not in the Northeast. You can "hot wire" it directly off the battery from the negative side to the coil with a wire and "jump" the starter solonoid to see if it will crank over and start. Remember it was a 6V positive ground system. I'd change the oil, fresh plugs, maybe some new tune up parts since you need spark plug wires. Crank it over with the coil wire off the cap to see if you can build oil pressure before starting it. The ignition switches pop up on Ebay now and then as NOS and are the same as a 48 Ford car. Just keep watching the listings. You can even get a generic switch and key from NAPA to get you going temporarily. Don't underestimate NAPA or CarQuest for mechanical stuff. They still offer alot.

Good luck,

Barry
50 F-1

Old 10-10-2003, 06:50 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get yourself a shop manual for the truck. It will help you alot. They're on Ebay all the time. There's tons of parts out there if you've got the cash. If it's a clean truck, I'd fix it up stock. There doesn't seem to be too many out there with the flatty 6 in them, at least not in the Northeast. You can "hot wire" it directly off the battery from the negative side to the coil with a wire and "jump" the starter solonoid to see if it will crank over and start. Remember it was a 6V positive ground system. I'd change the oil, fresh plugs, maybe some new tune up parts since you need spark plug wires. Crank it over with the coil wire off the cap to see if you can build oil pressure before starting it. The ignition switches pop up on Ebay now and then as NOS and are the same as a 48 Ford car. Just keep watching the listings. You can even get a generic switch and key from NAPA to get you going temporarily. Don't underestimate NAPA or CarQuest for mechanical stuff. They still offer alot.

Good luck,

Barry
50 F-1

Old 10-10-2003, 08:13 AM
min150mph
Junior User
Went to a swap meet in Houston and met a guy who had tons of manuals. Basically had everything I asked for. Here is his web-site http://www.shop-manual.com

Old 10-10-2003, 08:57 AM
oscarxyz
Senior User
Thanks for the great info and leads.
Too bad I have to work to pay for these projects or I would spend most of my time with my truck.

Old 10-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Schoonie48F2
Senior User
Don't feel bad, I think most of us are in the same boat, as far as having to work to have the money...lol