Sponsored by:

Switching from power to manual windows, mirrors and locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 02:36 PM
AlecWire
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching from power to manual windows, mirrors and locks

I've got a '95 XLT that I'd like to convert from power windows, locks and mirrors to manual all of the above. What am I looking at, both price and headache-wise? I assume I need to replace the entire door to get this done efficiently, right?

Thanks,

-Alex

Old 10-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Doorgunner808
Senior User
Just outof curiousity, why are you doing this?? I wish I was home now, I would just trade ya doors.

DG808

Old 10-03-2003, 09:03 PM
Roscoe1818
Junior User
Replacing the door would be a helluva lot easier, but also lots more expensive. I'm converting my bronc. (in reverse) to power windows and locks right now (got the driver's side done!!). First, the entire window regulator assy. (that thing that rolls the window up and down) will have to be changed, they are different on manual and power windows. you will have to drill out rivets to do this, and depending on your year model, the new manual regulator might require differnt holes to be drilled. Unless you're just offended by the power lock motors and all, just leave em there, they work with or without power. You'll have to bore holes in your door panels for the window cranks to go into, and if you want it to look nice, you'll have to do something about the holes already in the door panels for the window/lock switches. This converion won't be terribly easy, as working inside the door skin is a pain in the..., but luckily it'll be easier than going the other way! Did, you know that to access the wiring harness for power windows/locks, the entire dash has to be removed, as in sitting in your lap! I do now!! Anyhow, Good luck, and whay are you doing this again??

Old 10-05-2003, 12:18 AM
AlecWire
New User
Thanks for the responses, guys. It sounds like it's going to be more of a pain than I'd hoped, and I'm glad I know now rather than halfway through the process.

In answer to your questions, I was going to do this along with changing the rear gate so that I could open it without the power window because while I like the majority of what I have in the truck, power equipment breaks and needs to get replaced and manual stuff doesn't. I want a truck that needs the least amount of maintenance I can get away with so that if I'm road-tripping someplace out-of-the-way, I'm not going to have to find a mechanic so that I can adjust my mirror or get at any supplies in the back.

Again, thanks for the responses. I'd like to know about the process of swapping the doors out, even if it's expensive. If you know about what it'd cost, that'd be great too.

-Alex

Old 10-05-2003, 02:23 AM
anomaly
New User
Sell it and buy one without power......I've read your explaination and I still dont get it.....Ive never had a problem with power windows in any vehicle I have owned.....and if you do...it's alot easier to fix than the conversion......If it ain't broke,dont screw with it.

While you're at it you should put in manual brakes and steering.....new engine and transmission too....something could go wrong....huh..to each their own I guess.

As for swapping doors.....unbolt the old ones.....bolt on the new ones....adjust.